TimS

New Race Team Forming-Charlotte

We are trying to put together a good group of people who would like to race 4-5 Champcar races a year. Car would be based in Charlotte area but other members are in Atlanta and Florida. If you just want to drive and meet at the track that would be great too. Car would be built to Champcar rulebook and raced with Champcar. We have a very good technical group with lots of racing experience. Anyone interested please contact me. 

Tim

I have my own crew and cars I help with, but am on the north side of CLT (lake area) if you need help, want advice or want to help out\merge programs with us. 

So far in the motor pool 

Neon(s) (mine in development)

230 SLK Merc

Sc400 with LT1 engine (Chelux)

I’m in same area. Live in Davidson near River Run CC. Definitely would like to talk and see what we could put together. 

18 minutes ago, TimS said:

I’m in same area. Live in Davidson near River Run CC. Definitely would like to talk and see what we could put together. 

Sure. I am busy getting ready to go to NCM this weekend but after i return we should meet up.

I don't know how badly you want to start your own team but me and a couple other people have been building a car that is almost ready. (by the rulebook) As it goes we've had a fair few people drop out (IE just stop responding to their good friends) and we're actively trying to get a few more people on board. We're in the Charlotte area as well.

14 hours ago, SVOFANATIC said:

I don't know how badly you want to start your own team

Tim this could also be a great opportunity. Even if you have your own teammates\buddies who want in, I would suggesting helping\running with SVO and or my group. Your guys could be a real asset, help with headcount for drivers and really strengthen a team that already has a car. Often guys get caught up on building a car of their own, which would just result in two groups each under supported and without enough drivers, vs grouping together to make one well backed car. 

I agree 100%.  Building another car is not my first choice.  I have built 3 cars of my own over my years and i just don'twant to spend the time with a build.  I would prefer to find a car already finished or nearly finished.  Finding or cultivating a team to race the car is also challenging for me.  I am new to the Charlotte area and to ChampCar so local contacts would be great to develop.  I do have a great group of friends excited to run with ChampCar and a few racing contacts from days gone by that are willing to help get things rolling.  It would be great to meet some regulars from ChampCar in my area and get some real world info on how they operate.  Joining forces is a great idea too.  Definately needs to be a group with common ideas and plans.

Tim we may have already spoken but give me a shout if you're interested in talking. None of our plans are set we just wanna race and at some point be somewhat competitive. Svofanatic@gmail.com is my email and we can go from there.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:22 PM, TimS said:

We spoke and I’m with you about wanting to get to the track and drive. 

Tim,

I am off to Indy this weekend but after that should be free. I think one of my Charlotte groups is going to run the VIR 24, so if you are interested in helping out, checking out our cars sometime let me know. Work on the cars will pick up after this week. 

Also be aware CMP offers cheap track days and is a good way to keep sharp. We sometimes drag the champcars out there and even have a street neon we run for fun ($1000 car that happened to be an old spec neon with a hotter engine). 

I’m recovering from a cross country trip that took me through Indy last Thursday and Saturday. I might be able to make it to vir to help/spectate but I wouldn’t be there for the full race. It would be nice to make some local friends. I’ll keep in touch and see how my schedule works out. Good luck at Indy 

On 7/9/2019 at 4:21 PM, TimS said:

I’m recovering from a cross country trip that took me through Indy last Thursday and Saturday. I might be able to make it to vir to help/spectate but I wouldn’t be there for the full race. It would be nice to make some local friends. I’ll keep in touch and see how my schedule works out. Good luck at Indy 

We are planning to be at VIR 24. Black neon with some red on the bottom.

That is a very quick turnaround after Indy.  Reading all the reports made it sound even better than I imagined.  Historic place to race at.  I have to look at my on call schedule and if I'm not on call I'll try to stop by.  I've never been to VIR.  It would be cool to check it out.

10 minutes ago, TimS said:

That is a very quick turnaround after Indy.  Reading all the reports made it sound even better than I imagined.  Historic place to race at.  I have to look at my on call schedule and if I'm not on call I'll try to stop by.  I've never been to VIR.  It would be cool to check it out.

VIR is a great track from a bunch of different points of view.  Good spectating.  Beautiful setting.  Crazy 24 hour race.....

New car finally at my house. Dog decided he wanted first stint. Hope to be at a race this fall/winter. Always looking for drivers and or partners. 

8D52B527-1B25-422B-A79C-DACA3125AF83.jpeg

Edited by TimS
  • Like 1

Black Magic I'm almost set to stop and see what VIR looks like.  I will definately track you down.  I hope the car prep is going well.

21 hours ago, TimS said:

Black Magic I'm almost set to stop and see what VIR looks like.  I will definately track you down.  I hope the car prep is going well.

Will catch you there. Ask them for Drew.....

Car is coming together well. The team I built it for is doing the prep this time, being pushed out of the nest. Should do well, they dynoed the thing and found the power loss was the knock sensor cal in the 2.0 PCM picks up noises from normal operation of the 2.4. Pulling 20 deg of timing out was killing it 20 to 40 wheel hp..... All fixed it is now up to 140 whp on a dynojet. decent for the car weight but 20 short of the podium cars on a weight basis. 

20 degrees is a killer and 15% down on power doesn't sound like fun.  Good to see you sorted it out.

The car is very close to be ready to race.  We are planning to test the car and drivers October 25th at Atlanta Motorsports Park.  Its the Friday before the ChampCar race.  We are still looking for a 4th driver for the Sebring race in December.   It would be great to find a driver who would like to be a full time member of the team.  We still plan to run 3-4 races a year  '90 BMW E30  car is located in the Charlotte area but other team members live in Atlanta area.

Sebring race is full.  We would welcome anyone wishing join in the fun.  More opportunities to drive will be available in the future.

Just got back from test day at Atlanta Motorsports Park. Great days with friends and our new car.  Rain stayed away most of the day.  Some issues with the car but it ran great.