Wittenauer Racing

2019 Rules Interpretation?

56 minutes ago, theblue said:

or that time Matt Farah, Chris Harris, and Mike Spinelli ran VIR in one

That was super cool to watch on TV, but the car prep was an order of magnitude behind the good e30s in this series. I would love to put those guys in my car for a weekend, or the Huggins cars, or even a mid pack e30 would be better than that one.

(edit, and of course Leh Keen or whoever it was that subbed for Spinelli?)

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, enginerd said:

That was super cool to watch on TV, but the car prep was an order of magnitude behind the good e30s in this series. I would love to put those guys in my car for a weekend, or the Huggins cars, or even a mid pack e30 would be better than that one.

(edit, and of course Leh Keen or whoever it was that subbed for Spinelli?)

It was Keen.

Even with him in the car it was cake to fly past him, and my car is orders of magnitude faster now than it was in 2016.  That car was really not prepped at all.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 10:44 PM, jakks said:

Even the e46’ers picking on the e30. :(

Personally I think the e30 is about engineered out and I’m not sure putting pros in them would squeak out much more without sacrificing a lot of the reliability. 

An e46 on the other hand, I heard a bunch of semi-pros are racing a 323 and have done well in it...

Not picking on them, jealous. If we were doing it over it would be an E30 fresh build. Well, as fresh as an E30 build can be... 😂

• Like 1

If the rules are well written, the room for interpretation is small and thus, no need for a second book of rulings or "how to interpret".

Go take a read of the SCCA Improved Touring rule set.  Then go look at some of the cars that got built to 10-10ths.  They were fast, they were ingenious but they were not cheap and the class suffered as a result of the arms race that went on.  Champcar has the same potential.

You drive the car at 10-10ths, why would you not read the rule book the same way?  This brings up the fact that for every allowance there will be ways to exploit it.  So write the rules with the idea in mind that someone will stretch it.  The intent of the rule means nothing, it is how it is worded and what it actually allows/restricts.  No different than writing a contract.

The other option is to simply not have a rule book, let anything drive.  I've seen two examples of this, currently American Endurance Racing and the infamous Can-Am of the early/mid '70's.

Tough edge to ride on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, bendawson3 said:

Silence and continued participation do NOT equal a positive response. If you're basing the success of the series and your strategy on grudging acquiescence, I wouldn't say it will necessarily illuminate a bright path forward, for broad-reaching innovation and overwhelming success. 

Some of us don't care that much about the bizarre house of cards that are the rules here and race with this group solely because it's closest and easiest way to compete sometimes. If there was a group endurance racing spec pintos at VIR several times a year, I'd be racing pintos. 

Leaving gaping holes in the rule book like @Bill Strong touts above, might increase engagement and participation for some folks. It could leave other people, like me, thinking this is more of an engineering series than one for driving and racing, which is just fine for some folks. I mean to say that one could look at the rule set for champ and what's missing from it and say to themselves, "Perfect, I can engineer my way out of not being good at driving race cars." Others of us who are confident about their driving might look at a much tighter and more closely regulated rule set like those found in spec series and say to ourselves, "Perfect, I don't have to engineer anything and I can let my own driving speak for me." Just talking perception and reality a little bit here. 

Anyway, here's a cautionary tale about taking silence and acquiescence as success from the world of business: if you do that anywhere I've worked, ever, you lose business and don't stay open. So far, so good for this group but you never know. The place where I work now has been around on that strategy for decades and it took us losing a lot of business for our GM to start putting a little effort into sales and forward-thinking. Hope we make it. Hope chump survives and thrives too. I like racing w/ y'all when I do it. 

This deserves repeating.

I came to this series for great track time to dollar spent ratio in a "limited prep" form of racing.  I have watched it become "more free stuff", debates over "speed creep" and now debates over "more aero" and how to flair fenders.  Now the rule book and now rule interpretation book are growing just like SCCA's did over the years.  Now the debate over "EC" and how to include/exclude them.  I am working on another build. Will it race in Champcar? Too early to tell.  Will I continue to drive in Champcar?  Probably, because friends have cars and I enjoy their company, not because I am excited about the direction I have seen over the past few years.  I am not saying there's a better option out there (yet), but the current direction has me looking at all the options.  I mention this as an example of the first paragraph of the above post. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2