Fuel Cell fuel line installation Question

Mudflap

Folks, i have a question regarding this rule.   We drive a 1997 Mazda MX6 and would like to install a fuel cell.   We want to plumb with AN fittings, bulk head the tank and hoses, and steel braided lines to and from the engine as per the rules, however the final connection to the fuel rail is causing a challenge.   We can purchase a fuel rail supply banjo with AN fitting, but there are no aftermarket parts to convert the Mazda OEM return fuel hose barb to an AN fitting.   We can purchase a barb to AN fitting that will allow us to say, connect a 2-3" of fuel line hose with clamps, OEM method, to the AN return line close to the fuel rail.   Is this allowed?  

Per the rule book:

9.10.2.10. Fuel Cell Installation: If you decide to install a fuel cell, it must be securely mounted in a professional manner and must be installed in a safe location. All aftermarket fuel components must use threaded fittings and appropriate hose types, and include all appropriate racecar- quality vents, valves, and other features. Fuel cell installation will be judged on overall execution and apparent safety.

Edited by Mudflap

For my fell cell install I run steel breaded lines at the cell and I use 3/8 stainless steel hard lines from the cell to the engine compartment at one point they run inside the car for added safety I cover them with a alum   box cover.  On the engine side I use very good rubber on the line to the fuel rail with double clamps.

• Like 1

@Mudflap  unless your engine is in the back with the fuel cell the rules you quoted have nothing to do with the engine bay where there are no specific regulations as to how you connect to the rail etc.  what you described is totally fine.

Edited by theblue

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the reply here guys.  Turns out I was able to find AN Fitting adapters to connect to the fuel rail, only took a couple months to find them.  So now I am going to be steel braid lines all the way from the fuel cell to the engine.   Hook up goes next weekend.   Mock up has been completed.   I think I need to invest in Aeroquip/Earls etc, these darn parts are pricey.  LOL.  I'll take some pictures when it is all done.   And before the whole thing is boxed in for final finished build.

22 minutes ago, Mudflap said:

Thanks for the reply here guys.  Turns out I was able to find AN Fitting adapters to connect to the fuel rail, only took a couple months to find them.  So now I am going to be steel braid lines all the way from the fuel cell to the engine.   Hook up goes next weekend.   Mock up has been completed.   I think I need to invest in Aeroquip/Earls etc, these darn parts are pricey.  LOL.  I'll take some pictures when it is all done.   And before the whole thing is boxed in for final finished build.

Good to see you're still alive! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Looks very nice.  Unfortunately im not sure how your going to enclose everything.   Fuel cell and filler tube as well as the accusump and all the braided lines.  You definitely have your work cut out you.  Please share the finished product too.

• 9 months later...

I am saddened to report that mudflap aka Patrick Storms passed away about a month ago. He suffered a severe heart attack and due to pre-existing heart damage didn't survive. Not Covid related.

His wife and family are wanting his race car to see track time so that all the time and effort put into it aren't wasted, and that someone else will be able to enjoy his work. It and the trailer that Patrick set up for racing is in Edmonton, Alberta. They're still getting the particulars together but anyone who is interested can PM me and I'll pass the messages along.  

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, mender said:

I am saddened to report that mudflap aka Patrick Storms passed away about a month ago. He suffered a severe heart attack and due to pre-existing heart damage didn't survive. Not Covid related.

His wife and family are wanting his race car to see track time so that all the time and effort put into it aren't wasted, and that someone else will be able to enjoy his work. It and the trailer that Patrick set up for racing is in Edmonton, Alberta. They're still getting the particulars together but anyone who is interested can PM me and I'll pass the messages along.  

How sad. Sorry to hear. Hope someone car enjoy his race car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mender said:

This is terrible news.  When he was building we went back and forth a bit as I was racing a similar platform.  Pass along best wishes to his family from Wheelhouse Racing.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 8:00 PM, Mudflap said:

make sure you grab the kool-tool!!! it will make your life dramatically easier terminating the braided lines