Mudflap

Fuel Cell fuel line installation Question

Folks, i have a question regarding this rule.   We drive a 1997 Mazda MX6 and would like to install a fuel cell.   We want to plumb with AN fittings, bulk head the tank and hoses, and steel braided lines to and from the engine as per the rules, however the final connection to the fuel rail is causing a challenge.   We can purchase a fuel rail supply banjo with AN fitting, but there are no aftermarket parts to convert the Mazda OEM return fuel hose barb to an AN fitting.   We can purchase a barb to AN fitting that will allow us to say, connect a 2-3" of fuel line hose with clamps, OEM method, to the AN return line close to the fuel rail.   Is this allowed?  

Per the rule book:

9.10.2.10. Fuel Cell Installation: If you decide to install a fuel cell, it must be securely mounted in a professional manner and must be installed in a safe location. All aftermarket fuel components must use threaded fittings and appropriate hose types, and include all appropriate racecar- quality vents, valves, and other features. Fuel cell installation will be judged on overall execution and apparent safety.

Edited by Mudflap

Fuel lines and injectors are both free, just make or buy a fuel rail with AN fittings.

• Like 1

If it’s the stock fuel rail using stock rubber hose, you should be fine with a stock hose clamp. 

• Like 2

For my fell cell install I run steel breaded lines at the cell and I use 3/8 stainless steel hard lines from the cell to the engine compartment at one point they run inside the car for added safety I cover them with a alum   box cover.  On the engine side I use very good rubber on the line to the fuel rail with double clamps.

• Like 1

@Mudflap  unless your engine is in the back with the fuel cell the rules you quoted have nothing to do with the engine bay where there are no specific regulations as to how you connect to the rail etc.  what you described is totally fine.

Edited by theblue