Bill Strong

2019 NCM Motorsports Park Double 8+7-Hour Results and Videos

NCM was the first wheel to wheel race for our team.  One of our drivers had done some road racing 15 years ago but in general we are all autox folks.

The car was a beat up 1989 Civic DX 2 door hatch with a ZC swap might have made 125 hp at the crank.  14 days out the car didn't have a working motor or rear brakes and the wiring was fubar.

I drove the first stint.  Somebody blew up their car on the warm up laps so I got several extra looks at the track while that was getting taken care of.

When the race finally started I was pretty calm. We had a reasonably fast car in the turns, but a really slow car on the straights. I got passed by 5 cars on lap 1 and another 10 cars by lap 2. We made a couple of short stops to look at a check engine light and by lap 9 we were in position 45 out of the 51 cars that started the race. By the end of my stint on lap 27 we were back up to 37th.

Mike got in the car and drove it quite a bit faster than I had been. He worked his way up to 30th by lap 51 when he had to come in for gas as the car was cutting out. He went back out and did our fastest lap of the race (2:39.909) on lap 53. He worked his way up to 28th by the end of his stint.

Cameron got in the car and after the fuel stop was in 29th position. Cameron drove until lap 94 and up to 25th position. His fast lap time was 2:40.558.

Brian got in the car and after the fuel stop in 26th position. Brian drove until lap 123 and up to 20th position. Brian's fast lap time was 2:43.947.

I got back in the car on lap 124 in 25th position after the fuel stop. I drove until there were about 4 minutes left in the race. At that point my fastest lap time was a 2:46.176. 

While heading into turn 10 the brake pedal hit the floor and didn't do a whole lot.  I was very happy with the runoff in that turn.  I pulled off into the grass but didn't want to cause a caution that late so I limped into the pits and headed back to the garage.

Our day was over at that point. We were in 23rd position and even missing the last two laps we were far enough ahead of 24th to end up in 23rd position.

The car turns like nothing I had ever driven before but was way down on power to be competitive. Our fast lap time was 42nd overall so we punched pretty far above our weight class bringing the car home in 23rd.

We found the issue. It was a failed wheel bearing and a broken axle. The axle we had been given as a spare with the car wasn't correct and nobody in town had one so our race was over. We just didn't have time to do the detail work on the car, to verify all the spares etc.

I was pretty happy with the way other cars worked around us.  A few times it was pretty tight but as far as I know we didn't hit anything or anybody.  I did something pretty stupid in my first stint.  I was so focused on passing a car I had been chasing for 30 minutes I missed a yellow flag and passed that car and one other one under yellow.  I finally looked up and saw the yellow and knew I messed up.  I payed a lot more attention to the flag stations after that.  

To the guy that suggested we go run Lemons I understood it.  We were not up to the speed of the other cars on the track and the car was pretty ugly.  It was our first time and I didn't understand the level of racing that was going on.  We will do better next time.

• Like 11

KTM300,

Welcome to the madness!

Our team enjoyed being around your car on track.  Our cars were completely different on how our cars produced our very similar lap times… We have the power but don’t handle for spit and our car is uglier than yours.  (The Lincoln LS that’s missing its rear)  Some of our drivers passed your car but others were passed by your car. 

Whoever told you to run Lemons can jump in a lake. 

Your car is a perfect little budget racer. I am glad you were out there.  Speed creep is real the cars are getting much faster every time I get our car to the track, it is impressive… we built a butter knife for a knife fight and now teams are showing up with howitzers. But at one point or another I did pass both the 350z and the G35... (at other points they blew our doors off) But passing the G35 was fun because of how ugly our car is and how new and perfect theirs was.   

Good job finishing 23rd! Staying on track and making laps moves you way up the order.  My goal for the weekend was a top 20... but sadly we had too many problems and finished around 30th Saturday then DNF'd Sunday.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ktm300 said:

NCM was the first wheel to wheel race for our team.  One of our drivers had done some road racing 15 years ago but in general we are all autox folks.

To the guy that suggested we go run Lemons I understood it.  We were not up to the speed of the other cars on the track and the car was pretty ugly.  It was our first time and I didn't understand the level of racing that was going on.  We will do better next time.

These two things are very important.  Our team started out as a group of autox guys that wanted to race for real too and we learned on the fly too.

This was quite the race/track to jump into for your first race, larger field, tricky course with high speeds.   I had no issues with you guys on track at all and we were in some of the quicker cars.  Whoever told you to go run Lemons can go pound sand. This series is right for you if you really want to race and become better drivers, maybe instead of being a jerk they could have offered some advice.  Hopefully this doesn't discourage you and you work on the things you know you need to improve and you go from there.

• Like 7

@ktm300 I suggest you go run Lemons.  If anyone needs me in the next 3 minutes, I'll be pounding sand.  3 minutes after that, you'll be able to find me in a lake.

Seriously, Lemons is a different experience, but it's worth trying.

• Haha 5

33 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

@ktm300 I suggest you go run Lemons.  If anyone needs me in the next 3 minutes, I'll be pounding sand.  3 minutes after that, you'll be able to find me in a lake.

Seriously, Lemons is a different experience, but it's worth trying.

<<To the guy that suggested we go run Lemons I understood it.>>

I wasn't mad, actually thought it was a reasonable suggestion.

"You guys should go run Lemons (in addition to CC)....it'll give you more racing opportunity at usually a slower pace, and you'll feel much more competitive." - A great suggestion

"You guys should go run Lemons....because you're noobs and don't belong here" - Not a great suggestion

As always, intent is everything.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchkis23 said:

<<This was quite the race/track to jump into for your first race, larger field, tricky course with high speeds.   >>

I had 30 minutes on the track Friday and it wasn't enough to be comfortable.  I really liked the track because it was so technical.  I would have liked an extra hour or so on it Friday but......  I came to learn, and got what I came for.

<<I had no issues with you guys on track at all and we were in some of the quicker cars.  >>

We had some vision issues in the car.  The cage was made for someone 5' 2 or so and my 6' frame put my head about the height of the top of the cage which made the big mirror almost useless.  We added a mirror after Friday practice and it helped a lot.  I tried to be as out of the way as much as I could without just pulling over.  

<<Whoever told you to go run Lemons can go pound sand. >>

I don't think he was being mean or disrespectful.  He seemed like a pretty nice guy.  Pretty sure his intention was for us to have fun.

I was the third driver on @ktm300's car. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the kind words and for making us feel welcome at the track. Everyone I spoke to was more than willing to help out, lend tools, help us find our way, etc. I really wish we could've been a little more prepared, but as ktm said, we literally didn't have the engine running til 2am Thursday, the day we were supposed to leave. Another driver and I didn't get to Kentucky for practice until 2am local, where we got another couple hours of sleep before putting all the brake hydraulics together and taking the car for its first shakedown. I really wish we had been able to drive the 7hr on Sunday, but the 8hr was still a ton of fun for my first track/wheel to wheel experience. 

You all have me hooked, can't wait to be back out.

• Like 15

It’s not ok that someone running with Champcar suggested that you run Lemons. We need you in Champ races, thats where we hope you sign up and where we hope you spend your racing budget. The fast guys will figure out how to get around you until you get up to speed so don’t take the advice. If the fast guys can’t figure out how to get around you safely, then they aren’t the fast guys. 

• Like 17

On 6/18/2019 at 9:22 AM, eyeballs19 said:

Footage of the fire from the #902, starting around 4:00.  Sad to watch.

Thanks for posting. At this point we believe the overflow line to the overflow tank became dislodged after a trip over the rumble strips. Our driver (Vernett Baker) saw the flames as soon as he re-entered the track. As a wily veteran he knew to make it to a flag station for help. It also helped that he has driven the car before so was familiar on how to get out quickly and safely.

I would suggest to you ALL that you practice your emergency egress "procedures" with a bag over your helmet so you cannot see at EVERY race. This could have turned into something very ugly without a veteran behind the wheel. 

As we rebuild VERY quickly for Indy in less than a month we are raising some funds for the recovery process we are selling team T-shirts. Naturally we think they are pretty cool: https://store.flyinwrench.com/products/savekenny-official-brew-krewe-racing-2019-shirts

• Like 4

@ktm300 we all had to start somewhere.  Fix the car and come back stronger.  23rd out of 50 in your first race?  I'd take that.  Congrats and see you on track!!

1 hour ago, Jer said:

@ktm300 we all had to start somewhere.  Fix the car and come back stronger.  23rd out of 50 in your first race?  I'd take that.  Congrats and see you on track!!

I am happy with the finish position Saturday. 

We will be back.  

Thanks for the encouragement.

• Like 3

The accomplishment for a new race team should be to finish, and learn everything possible for the first year at least. There is a lot that goes into these cars staying on the track the way they do and small tricks guys use to make a pit stop more productive or how they prepare for trouble when it does happen.

Id highly suggest volunteering to be a pit Marshal, we volunteered earlier this year and it was amazing the things we learned by being FORCED to watch other teams (while paying for our gingerman race). I cant stress enough how beneficial it was to watch, i learned more on one day than all of last year racing because i wasn’t worried about our car staying on track i was open minded and observant.

• Like 3

Doc, sorry about Kenny. Hard to hear about. Would love to hear about what failed so maybe we E30 owners can inspect for signs of a potential problem. I bought a shirt because I know you'd do the same. Always seemed like Kenny was giving me the eye roll when I was behind him. 

1 hour ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

Doc, sorry about Kenny. Hard to hear about. Would love to hear about what failed so maybe we E30 owners can inspect for signs of a potential problem. I bought a shirt because I know you'd do the same. Always seemed like Kenny was giving me the eye roll when I was behind him. 

We suspect the fuel overflow line that goes to the stock BMW overflow tank in the RR wheel well became dislodged when the car hit some rumble strips very hard. The track reported some melted plastic where he went off and the overflow tank is missing now. We will know more when we get done cleaning him up and get him on a lift, but I'm pretty certain that is what we will find. Thanks for getting a shirt; it is appreciated!!!

I think I was surprised by the racing surface being so smooth at this facility, but that could be because my team races H2R twice a year.  Being an EC team in the paddock right now, it feels a little awkward and we aren't even all that fast. At the track, nobody really did anything to make us feel unwelcome, and we got help from teams when we asked, and helped teams that asked us as well.  This forum talk just makes it seem like pitchforks are just around the corner though, to me. We just have a former daily driver with some pre-existing bolt ons that we don't see real value in taking off that we turned race car after our CRX suffered severe metal fatigue, and we enjoy being very relaxed on race days. We suffered transmission gremlins that sent us back to Texas (and MS) very early Sunday. This race seemed to go by very smooth even with the EC Jeep running away from everyone.  Racing on that track was very fun and it's a shame the track is so far away.  I feel I left a lot of time on the track that I could have found pretty easily, and the speed difference between all of the cars made it really fun to pass and be passed without feeling I was too much in the way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Id highly suggest volunteering to be a pit Marshal, 

I can see that being a good idea.  How does it work?  Do you just work a race that you aren't running?

Hybridshocker,

I personally liked racing your car at NCM.  I am okay with the Jeep running EC, Heck I am even okay if someone shows up with a 996 turbo GT1 (insert proper Porsche digits here). 

My only problem with EC cars are clerical issues.  They shouldn’t be shown as winning the race on speedhive and they should not have been picked up as the leader during a full course yellow.   I have zero animosity toward the teams running EC.

Your car ran clean around me this weekend.  I hope the Kentucky Fried white e36 keeps racing with Champ as it fits right in.

• Like 6

Had a great time at NCM.  It was our first visit and only our third race weekend overall.  The track was very challenging and fun.  We look forward to coming back next year.  It was a great way to spend fathers day with my son which is why we got into this racing to begin with.  It was a successful weekend finishing both days which was our only goal, that and have fun.  We look forward to running with you guys and gals more in the future.  See yall at Barber!     VNE#138

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ktm300 said:

I can see that being a good idea.  How does it work?  Do you just work a race that you aren't running?

Well lol we fried all our electronics in the car 3 days before the race, and since we were planning on being there we called up and said, we’d Marshall just to be at the track. But normally a team would choose a track they don’t plan to race, and volunteer. Show up, they tell you what they need and what to watch for. Then you go out and keep people safe, watch and listen to race control all day. After the race a few teams around where you marshaled will usually offer up some beer and say thanks, you pick some brains watch people prep for the next day pick some more brains and then rinse and repeat for day two if there is one.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 7:16 AM, Black Magic said:

First time racing at this track. Was helping a neon team (the black and red one). I really liked it, more than i thought i would. There was some pretty regular contact which i think is a function of the track having narrow lines in some of the corners, but i don't recall any hits that required a wrecker to get them. That is a good sign given the record at some other tracks this year, and keeps the costs reasonable. 

We got hit 4 fairly minor times. The other cars served penalities and acknowledged it each time, which was refreshing. The most we had to repair was resetting the camber once (hit moved adjusters), which isn't that big of a deal. We weren't in contention for anything, the motor in the car was slower than a miata, but could turn just above 40s for regular laps and got down to a 38. That team wanted to work on getting the car handling and running well before working on the lack of power. 

The black and purple neon had some good battles with us. Hope to have video soon, but in the 3rd stint Sunday we ran nose to tail for what seemed like 20 mins. That was fun. Thank you purple\black\whatever other body color you were car....

Hey black magic,  it plum crazy,  the black and purple neon. We need to get it painted..it was our first time here also. And the way the car ran we will be back.

It was good pitting next to you guys.  

The battle on track was great. Good clean racing that little 2.0 we are running sure has been a good motor. The car and all of us sure liked the track. Hoping to make NCM a habit. 

Good luck to you and your team. Be safe hope to run with you again. 

On 6/21/2019 at 7:51 AM, hybridshocker said:

This forum talk just makes it seem like pitchforks are just around the corner though, to me.

Opinions on the Forum are worth as much as the paper they are written on. Nothing is decided because of what is written here.

Sure, several of us read it to "take the temperature" of what the visitors have to say and their opinions, but that's about it.

I wouldn't put much stock (or buy any stock) in pitchforks.

• Like 1

Well said Doc.  There's good info and good discussion on the forum, but we do get excited about the finer points of the rules, etc.  If you just read the forum and had never been to a race, you'd think we were a huge dysfunctional family.  If you had been to a few races and then got on the forum, you'd think "thank God these crazy bastiges don't go to the races".  But really we're the same people in both places.  We are passionate about this series, but we do get along (most of the time).  Unless you drive an MR2.  Then you're cheating and we hate you.  Or is it 944s now?  Probably both.

Edited by zack_280
  • Like 1

The Mopar 4 Ever Doom cruiser had a pretty good event overall. NCM was a fair tow for us from Toronto.  Arrived late dinner time  Thursday and dropped the car and trailer right at the garage. The usual perplexed onlookers followed shortly after. 

Fridays test went without a hitch. We knew the track was busy but not that busy. Sinkhole was rather amusing. We went over our data after each run to learn what each of us was doing well. We all got down to the mid/high 30’s so we were all feeling pretty good. BBQ time.

Saturday we drew a mid pack start. Managed to work our way up to the top 10. Things were going good. Put our third (fast) driver in with us just being out of the top 5. Just over an hour in he reports back he lost 4th gear (crap) I know the trans is now in its death throws. Another 30 min go by and the trans is now eating itself. On his way into the pits all the pieces stopped spinning as he made it to the timer station. Now the car is jammed up and won’t move. We made a mess of trans oil at pit in and other little metal bits. Sorry.

Change the trans, brake service in a little over two hours. Test drive the car. All is good. BBQ time.

Sunday we faired better. A little higher start position. Worked our way up to the top 10. We had a minor on track racing incident with a E30. I guess he felt he was at fault as he came over to apologize. Our air dam wasn’t too messed up and all the brake ducts were all still firmly attached so I sent our third driver out. Just my luck as we are just out of the top 5 with a stop in hand. My driver radios in with weird suspension noise. I am in the crapper. Pinch it off and run back to the pits to find the brake ducts wrapped up around the drivers axle and all the wire support webbing “fun”. It took me a good 6 minutes to get it all cut out. Stabbed my self a couple of times as they were all spring loaded when cut. Also noticed with the carnage the inner cv boot was cut right through with brake ducting as well. While this happens we put our 4th/last driver in. Tell him to go a little easy on the thing. With all the damage we managed to stay top 10 and a D class win. 

Cant say I have not been thinking about what could have been with a little better luck. But a pretty good outing for a team who has never been to the track.

• Like 2