Bill Strong

2019 NCM Motorsports Park Double 8+7-Hour Results and Videos

8 hours ago, zack_280 said:

We are passionate about this series, but we do get along (most of the time).  Unless you drive an MR2.  Then you're cheating and we hate you.  Or is it 944s now?  Probably both.

@zack_280  I have a lot of respect for you but this post suggests you have been drinking more than usual.  An MR2 cheating??  Why would they do that?  They start with what, 5000 points to play with?  They can put any mod on that they want.  Roger Penske once told me, "If I raced ChampCar, I'd field an MR2"

(use green font liberally throughout the above post)

Edited by Racer28173
  • Haha 1

Is this a bad time to say hi? We have an EC MR2...

JK, we enjoyed our weekend at NCM, sans the Saturday night wheel bearing replacement. We've been trying for a while, but it was our first weekend with two finishes and minimal issues. Short intro, our build actually is/was for chumpcar, and we used to be a legal car until the swap formula a couple years ago. Our choices were race EC or start building again. We were already weary from the build, and we have a ton of other things to sort out, so we chose the former. I would very much like to be not EC as soon as makes sense. 

Edited by SLLaffoon

^^^^ so curious question for you on your build, since the MR2's have such a low value and can swap in a heafty motor before EC what did you swap in to hit the bubble?

Is it something you could dial back with out a huge effort?

Glad your getting the bugs out as with any major swap it takes time and effort.

DirtE-30 NCM Recap

13hr pull from Minneapolis, MN. Arrived Thursday evening and dropped the trailer.

Ran practice on Friday, the #212 BMW E30  was pretty well dialed in, we developed a small transmission leak, but nothing major to worry about.  All four drivers, each made two 8-10 lap stints and felt very comfortable with the track and car, and we all were running within 2-3 seconds of eachother in the low 30's. Gathered good fuel economy notes, and were all done by 3pm, a successful practice. Toured the Corvette Museum, well worth it!

Saturday, we started P58 at the absolute tail of the 58 car field. The starts are always crazy and hectic, as drivers (who didnt practice) are getting comfortable with their cars and the track, but also the most fun imo! At the 1-hour mark I finally took a breath, was up to P8 and got by the 901 Motorsport E30 briefly, we raced eachother hard for about 7-8laps, and I finally had to let him get back by, as the pace was too fatiguing on the car (&me). Our cars were very similar overall, but the rear wing on the 901 allowed for much higher speeds on the high speed corners. Great Fun! At the 1:55 mark I got black flagged for passing under yellow, didnt see the flag stand as I was in a pack of 4 cars coming up out of the T21 sinkhole. Took a 2 minute penalty, and pitted in P7. The next two Drivers Joe and Cory did an awesome job of racing clean and getting us up to P5 after the third stint. With 50 minutes to go, our fourth driver, Ben, was holding P5 with a half a lap lead over the E-racing E30 in P6, (we were running similar lap times too)  We were hoping to snag a Top 5 in only our second race with the DirtE-30. Unfortunately our driver forgot to put his lumbar support in, and had to make an unscheduled pitstop for a driver swap due to back spasms.  I scrambled back to the trailer to gear up, jumped back in and ran our FTD of 2:32.10, We finished the day in P6. We'll take it! 

Sunday, we started on the pole with a wet track, we ran up front between P1 and P3 but after about 1hr:30, our brakes started fading. We had replaced the pads the night before, but somehow we unknowingly grabbed the box of street pads (stored in the race pad box). Our second driver (Cory ) made it through his 2hr stint(running only 3 seconds off the pace) with nothing left but the backing plates, wow! We swapped front pads in 11 minutes, and Joe went back out for the 3rd stint in P22. Around the 4:15 mark, he radioed the he smelled fuel in the cockpit, but we attributed it to the fact he was following the white E30 that was dumping gallons of fuel around every left hand turn, and soon after the Brew Crew E30 was having a tailgate BBQ as well..yikes. We pitted at the 5hr mark in P17, and inspected the brakes (pads almost gone again) and checked for fuel leaks, didnt find anything.

I went out for the 4th and last stint at the 5:15 mark , and after about an hour the brakes were so bad that I had to almost double my braking points. I was smelling fuel too, and a few laps later got the Meatball flag, was told we were leaking fuel as well.  After seeing one burned up E30 already for leaking fuel, and no brakes left, combined with a leaking water pump, it was a no brainer to park the DirtE-30 at the 6:15 mark.  Suspect over-pressurization of the fuel tank due to excessive heat and too small or clogged fuel vent. Will report actual problem once identified.

Overall we had a great weekend, NCM is a very racy technical track, lots of fun to drive! Had some fun racing battles with the other E-30's of 901 Motorsports, RVA GFX, Brewe Crewe, and E-Racing.  Next race is Hastings Motsports Park, NE in September.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

62589760_10157280080647346_4453493722851573760_o.jpg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, 55mini said:

^^^^ so curious question for you on your build, since the MR2's have such a low value and can swap in a heafty motor before EC what did you swap in to hit the bubble?

Is it something you could dial back with out a huge effort?

Glad your getting the bugs out as with any major swap it takes time and effort.

Our swap is about as basic as it gets for an MR2. It's an unaltered 1mz-fe. 

6 hours ago, SLLaffoon said:

Our swap is about as basic as it gets for an MR2. It's an unaltered 1mz-fe. 

So what are you doing with the other 220pts? Or 720pts to force you into EC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, morganf said:

So what are you doing with the other 220pts? Or 720pts to force you into EC.

The formula puts VPI for an 85 MR2 chassis with an 1mz-fe at 568-762, depending on which SAE rating method for the engine is used. It is very different than later mr2 chassis, which are the point values you mention.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, SLLaffoon said:

The formula puts VPI for an 85 MR2 chassis with an 1mz-fe at 568-762, depending on which SAE rating method for the engine is used. It is very different than later mr2 chassis, which are the point values you mention.

I understand now.   the weight/fudgeomatic factor didn't get fudged enough on the 1st gen cars.

• Like 3

If I had that build I would email to tech and Mr Chisek to get it balanced to meet the fudged car as it is no faster in any way to the later version.

Your car was the early silver car?

Yep, we were the silver 1st gen at NCM. 

I feel the same way, and that's basically our approach. But, as we work to that closure, we felt we needed to commit to show up and run events to give real world data (and let us debug). 

• Like 2

You can ask for an adjustment, not sure what will happen.  How do you deal with that puny gas tank?!  It's really small if I recall, like on my lotus-10 gallons.  :(

8 hours ago, Jer said:

my lotus

OK wait you have a Lotus?? and never told me. If I had to guess a newer model like an Elise.

Yep.  I was the 2nd person in the US to have an Elise.  The one below is my 4th.  

6FE8DE7A-7E4C-43F7-8EE3-919780D5A836.jpeg

• Like 2

This was my first.  July 2004.  

car!! 022 (4).jpg

• Like 2

So...we did a teardown of the entire rear subframe to check for fire damage on the E30 and what we found caused us to re-think the cause of the fire at NCM. The exhaust had a quarter sized hole in it that burned through the heat shied that directed hot exhaust gases directly to the stock fuel tank. We believe that pressurized the tank enough to blow the small fuel return line off the gas tank.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

First one in Iowa as well. Chrome Orange and had it for about six years but went back to my old school stuff instead.

Fall 2010 001 reduced.jpg

PC020322.JPG

• Like 3

On 6/26/2019 at 1:59 PM, Jer said:

You can ask for an adjustment, not sure what will happen.  How do you deal with that puny gas tank?!  It's really small if I recall, like on my lotus-10 gallons.  :(

We stop a lot, haha. You're right, it's tiny. 

On 6/27/2019 at 5:23 AM, Doc said:

So...we did a teardown of the entire rear subframe to check for fire damage on the E30 and what we found caused us to re-think the cause of the fire at NCM. The exhaust had a quarter sized hole in it that burned through the heat shied that directed hot exhaust gases directly to the stock fuel tank. We believe that pressurized the tank enough to blow the small fuel return line off the gas tank.

Thanks Doc. Having dealt with a pressurized fuel tank ourselves, did you have any problems fueling the car previous to the fire? In our case, any fuel in the tank would spew out after releasing the gas cap and then it would be difficult to add fuel. It would boil right out of the car. And it would boil out of the vent as well. Yes. Not safe. We retired from a race because of this issue. 

The fix was to remove the spare tire well and the rear bumper to increase air flow. The bumper was replaced with metal tubing across the rear of the car. The tank already had heat shielding around it from the factory because rotary... 

Good luck on the fix! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FlorahDorah said:

Having dealt with a pressurized fuel tank ourselves, did you have any problems fueling the car previous to the fire?

The guy that did the fueling reported the tank seemed to vent a lot more when he pulled the cap on the stop just before the fire. This info never got relayed to us. We had pressure buildup once before at Daytona when the back half of our exhaust was knocked off by contact and terminated right around the tank. We could not fix it so we pitted often to vent the tank.

On 6/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, JDChristianson said:

I understand now.   the weight/fudgeomatic factor didn't get fudged enough on the 1st gen cars.

This is the problem that is going to become more and more common.  Since we allowed and now made rules to allow cars to not follow the rules, more and more cars will want to get on the ruleset that bypasses the calculator.     We need ONE ruleset for everyone.   Creating loopholes and handing them out like candy only means everyone is going to want candy soon.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1