2 minutes ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

Do you guys really race for the trophy?? Really?

Its either that or my wife's adoration....🤣

I don’t but more than would like to admit it means a lot. My own team mates as an example. They even keep track of class position and we are a C. Drives me nuts because all I care about is where we are overall minus EC. But........whatever. 

16 minutes ago, frankrehnelt said:

I don’t but more than would like to admit it means a lot. My own team mates as an example. They even keep track of class position and we are a C. Drives me nuts because all I care about is where we are overall minus EC. But........whatever. 

Relax, my man.  

On 6/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, BigMoneyWasters said:

Do you guys really race for the trophy?? Really?

In the regular class?  Uh, yep.

I'd you mean class trophy, nope.  It usually comes with the podium trophy...  haha!

Edited by wvumtnbkr

59 minutes ago, ablesnead said:

we totally race for class position....without incredible luck overall is a pipe dream for us

Ditto. And because that is true of 90% of us, class wins are all we race for. Jus like Lemans, ALMS, WEC, and so on.

8 hours ago, Rick.Cook23@yahoo.com said:

Ditto. And because that is true of 90% of us, class wins are all we race for. Jus like Lemans, ALMS, WEC, and so on.

Uh, all of those series you just mentioned are drastically different.

They all have totally different rules for each class.

I can't show up with a dpi car and try to run in gt daytona....

So, nothing like wec, alms, or lemans.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, Black Magic said:

Prior to the petition review this year I posted results showing the correlation between fuel capacity per weight and wins out east. I would suspect it is possible with a D class car, but with fewer (aka the old ones) D class cars that meet that criteria the likelihood is lower. 

When we thought a D class car could be built to do this, the T bird VPI was raised to match. The fear of giving a newer D class car an equal fuel to weight as the popular c class cars makes the choice very hard and I think those teams would just choose a more sensible path. Only a few of us are smart enough to make a decent attempt but dumb enough to try a terrible idea :)

Before the T-bird even had a chance to be competitive it was hit with a VPI increase to keep it suppressed. However, not a damn thing has been done about MR2 VPI's for the last 3 years after they were the beneficiary of a 175 point year over year VPI reduction. 

Mark my words, the next time there is even a chance of a D-class car posing a threat, it'll be penalized with a VPI increase to protect the status quo. Just like the T-bird was. 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, frankrehnelt said:

Or just increase the number of overall awards, say top five and not give class awards. It won’t be long until the 626 that finished out of the top ten won’t be seeing that first in B class trophy. 

Except we built that 626 to do just that, Win B-class.  if you said there is only top 5 then there is no classes.  You want 125 cars fighting for one trophy you will see attendance drop.  The 626 is a rental car for us, a damn good one actually but it does well in class and that helps market the car.  Nobody will want to rent a car that will normally finish in the top 20% of 100 cars.

On the flip side, we built the Cobra to go for an overall win, anything less in our book is worthless.  So for the teams that are doing that, I get your logic but not every car on the grid thinks that way.

We got a few D-class win trophies that came with larger hardware.  Now, because we won overall AND won D-class.  IF champcar wanted to save money and not give us the class win thats fine, but you can't give it to the team that finished 77th because they were the next D-class car in line.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

go for an overall win, anything less in our book is worthless. 

56655972.jpg

12 hours ago, Snorman said:

not a damn thing has been done about MR2 VPI's for the last 3 years after they were the beneficiary of a 175 point year over year VPI reduction. 

There has been countless discussion about the MR2 VPI within the TAC group (which includes 2 members of the BOD). Lot's of things have been proposed, lots of ideas, etc. etc. 

I personally spent countless hours working with MR2 teams, other members in the TAC, people on the BOD etc. trying to find some sort of common ground on the MR2.  It is quite a polarizing topic, and it is very difficult to get people to agree on something in the middle. In the end we were able to limit the HP to the 1MZ level where previous to the changes the 3MZ could be run. 

I'm not saying the values are good, bad, or other, but there has certainly been a lot of discussion and work put into valuations of the MR2. 

You have to also understand the media bias surrounding this car is overwhelming, and makes things that much more difficult.

• Like 2

It feels like every time the MR2 thing comes up again champcar's attitude is "Everyone agrees this car is too cheap, but we can't find a way to increase the value and let them keep racing with V6 swaps, full aero, and everything else without taking laps. We're not going to add laps because this would piss off teams that have been racing in the series forever"

perhaps the only silver lining is that other things are being given to more cars now so it will likely be that others rise to match them.  They basically can do anything they want, so it's not like free stuff impacts them too much.

Edited by theblue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, red0 said:

There has been countless discussion about the MR2 VPI within the TAC group (which includes 2 members of the BOD). Lot's of things have been proposed, lots of ideas, etc. etc. 

I personally spent countless hours working with MR2 teams, other members in the TAC, people on the BOD etc. trying to find some sort of common ground on the MR2.  It is quite a polarizing topic, and it is very difficult to get people to agree on something in the middle. In the end we were able to limit the HP to the 1MZ level where previous to the changes the 3MZ could be run. 

I'm not saying the values are good, bad, or other, but there has certainly been a lot of discussion and work put into valuations of the MR2. 

You have to also understand the media bias surrounding this car is overwhelming, and makes things that much more difficult.

Thanks for the info. Honestly, the MR2 is just an example and I'm sure there are others where (i.e Miata hubs) free poop is given to a certain platform or model when plainly it appears to have  been specifically approved to help it. 

But I'll guarantee if a D-class car starts to pose any threat, it'll quickly be hit with a VPI increase why others have gone years without being touched. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Thanks for the info. Honestly, the MR2 is just an example and I'm sure there are others where (i.e Miata hubs) free poop is given to a certain platform or model when plainly it appears to have  been specifically approved to help it. 

But I'll guarantee if a D-class car starts to pose any threat, it'll quickly be hit with a VPI increase why others have gone years without being touched. 

Has the Cobra been jacked up since winning? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

I have no doubt that it will for 2020. None. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Does anyone want to place any bets that there will be no rule directed at or VPI increase for the 94+ Cobra next year?  That it will not be singled out.   

deleted.  Not getting sucked in.  

Edited by Jer

4 hours ago, Racer7x said:

So let me get this straight Jer, your saying the mid 90's mr2 that was in performance comparison tests against other sports cars all during the 1990's and was called the "Poor Man's Ferrari" is now a dog on the track and only a 200pt car?

The same year Toyota Corona or Toyota Corolla has a vpi of 250 pts? 

Really...

I’m fairly certain the swapped versions are going up in points next year.  We haven’t seen any recommendations yet.  That’s what I know.  

I do so thank you for your passion.   Changes are in the works, I’m certain.  

Edited by Jer