Bill Strong

2019 Official Road America Winter Classic

My prediction is rain, rain both days with maybe a flurry. Nothing better than freezing your ass off at RA in October!

4 minutes ago, scottyk said:

My prediction is rain, rain both days with maybe a flurry. Nothing better than freezing your ass off at RA in October!

Might have to use my traction control!

5 hours ago, enginerd said:

Miata... Road America... 

history does not look favorable.

Pretty sure we have been top 5 every RA race we didn't break! Including pre ecotech swap

Edited by hotchkis23
  • Like 3

I hope we get lucky and land another fall color change again! Because RA can one of these:

This:

image.png.3c7d0863629e2acd4dce0e761d08f2
More photos:

Chumpcar @ Road America - Oct 2017

OR THIS!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Who is going from the fort Wayne/  Detroit area?  Got room for an engine in a crate?

I can pay beer!

I will be rolling through ft. wayne with a giant trailer.

If by beer you mean a couple duckets for gas money, i'm in! :) I don't drink beer.

Edited by Slugworks Paul

I remember racing with Jim Enger one year and ABR-Glen another, and the weather was perfect both weekends.  lately it's been crap and next weekend looks like wet and miserable right now.  Sure hope it changes.  

34 minutes ago, Mike.g said:

I hope we get lucky and land another fall color change again! Because RA can one of these:

This:

image.png.3c7d0863629e2acd4dce0e761d08f2
More photos:

Chumpcar @ Road America - Oct 2017

OR THIS!

When you look forward to going into the Portastinky you know the weather sucks...

Didn't see it in the sup's, but looking at a video of last year, the course included the chicane/bus-stop/wiggle thing on the back straight.  Anyone know if we're using that this year?

8 minutes ago, MMiskoe said:

Didn't see it in the sup's, but looking at a video of last year, the course included the chicane/bus-stop/wiggle thing on the back straight.  Anyone know if we're using that this year?

As I understand it (but can be wrong), Road America has us use the Bend because we are an amateur race series. I am totally fine using it, because a few teams tried to knock down that outside wall when we raced with another series at RA.

Edited by Mike.g
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

We have run the chicane configuration for at least the 4 years I have been racing in champcar.  I personally prefer it this way and don't see it changing.  I think it actually adds a fun skill section and passing opportunities.

• Like 5

Ludicrous Speed will not be at the race this year. I was looking forward to defending our three race win streak at Road America but the car needs more prep work. 

I will be at the track though. If anyone needs a driver or coach just let me know. I have set the track record at Road America, Gingerman, and second fastest lap at NCM, and Charlotte. More importantly, I’m a clean driver. I have been coaching for 20 years and have completed Allen Fines coaching course. 

Chris Shay 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 9:19 AM, red0 said:

Does anyone want to split a garage? 

Maybe?  My car refuses to start, so may need garage to continue figuring out why it doesn't start.  Great compression, correct timing (cam and ignition), strong spark, correct fuel pressure, and not a single fire from any of the cylinders, even with a giant blast of ether.  Just cranks and cranks and cranks (at 180rpm, never dropping below 11 volts).  

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

Maybe?  My car refuses to start, so may need garage to continue figuring out why it doesn't start.  Great compression, correct timing (cam and ignition), strong spark, correct fuel pressure, and not a single fire from any of the cylinders, even with a giant blast of ether.  Just cranks and cranks and cranks (at 180rpm, never dropping below 11 volts).  

If it could help, I can bring some of our M20 spares but you probably have all the spares you need. Let me know. 

3 minutes ago, red0 said:

If it could help, I can bring some of our M20 spares but you probably have all the spares you need. Let me know. 

Thanks, will let you know if we find something.  Plan after work is to replace the entire injection and ignition systems, see if that helps.

37 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

This happened to me after a rebuild. The cylinders got washed down and no oil for sealing the rings, BUT, I think you covered this by saying that your compression was correct... so this is probably not the same problem? (I did not check compression, I simply assumed compression was low after adding a bit of ATF to each cylinder and seeing it fire right up)

Are the injectors clicking? The ether should have fired anyway if it was a lack of fuel so this probably isn’t your issue either?

Edited by enginerd

29 minutes ago, enginerd said:

This happened to me after a rebuild. The cylinders got washed down and no oil for sealing the rings, BUT, I think you covered this by saying that your compression was correct... so this is probably not the same problem? (I did not check compression, I simply assumed compression was low after adding a bit of ATF to each cylinder and seeing it fire right up)

Are the injectors clicking? The ether should have fired anyway if it was a lack of fuel so this probably isn’t your issue either?

This is a fresh head on the motor we've been running all season, so kinda new build.  Been cranking so much I doubt there's oil on anything, so I'll add ATF in the spark plugs holes to the list.  Injectors click, pulled the rail last night and they don't look dirty or clogged, but will flow them too.  Also replacing the gas, since maybe that went sour?

33 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Wasn't it Tubby Butterman that told us to dump a bunch of ATF in each cylinder? It worked like a champ.  I think I am the one who wiped the cylinders down with WD40 that caused the problem! 

Have you tried pulling a plug, touching it to the block and cranking to see if you get spark?  Turn off the fuel for this test.

1 minute ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

This is a fresh head on the motor we've been running all season, so kinda new build.  Been cranking so much I doubt there's oil on anything, so I'll add ATF in the spark plugs holes to the list.  Injectors click, pulled the rail last night and they don't look dirty or clogged, but will flow them too.  Also replacing the gas, since maybe that went sour?

I bet ATF in all cylinders will make it run! I couldn't believe that was what got us the one time. 

7 hours ago, Hi_Im_Will said:

I can’t see it being the gas. The ether should have fired no problem. Are you sure the spark is coming at the correct time? I don’t know anything about BMWs but I can’t help but wonder if the spark is coming at the wrong time and that is why the ether won’t light

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1