Miata gearing at Daytona

T-PAP

With our 4.3 Torsen at Daytona, we were geared terribly and topped out way to early.  To all you other guys in Miatas, what ratios were you using, 4.1 or 3.9?  We're trying to decide which one to switch to.  Thanks!

20 hours ago, T-PAP said:

With our 4.3 Torsen at Daytona, we were geared terribly and topped out way to early.  To all you other guys in Miatas, what ratios were you using, 4.1 or 3.9?  We're trying to decide which one to switch to.  Thanks!

A simple spreadsheet with gear ratios and engine speeds should be able to answer this fairly well.

Also, you can take your dyno plots and add that in to get motive force to really see if it's possible.  Obviously, the thing you don't have is the power required to overcome the higher drag forces with the increased speeds.  If you were grossly gear limited, I would change the r earend.  If it was close to end of the straight, you are probably better off keeping the gear you have and maintaining speed on the straight.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

12 hours ago, Mazmarc said:

We ran a 4.1 this year and it was perfect. Car was fast...until it wasn't.😉

That's what I was hoping to hear! The 3.9 is almost impossible to find and I figured there was no way everyone had a 3.9 but us haha. Thanks for the reply!!

9 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

A simple spreadsheet with gear ratios and engine speeds should be able to answer this fairly well.

We did this yesterday and it gave us a reasonable guess as to what to expect, but it lacked the warm fuzzy feeling I require before making a decision haha

7 minutes ago, T-PAP said:

That's what I was hoping to hear! The 3.9 is almost impossible to find and I figured there was no way everyone had a 3.9 but us haha. Thanks for the reply!!

We ran one at Road America, loved it there.  4.10 looks to be about perfect for Daytona

12 minutes ago, T-PAP said:

We did this yesterday and it gave us a reasonable guess as to what to expect, but it lacked the warm fuzzy feeling I require before making a decision haha

Troof.  The motive force graph should give you a warm fuzzy.  It's what I used to determine whether my swap (with crappier trans gearing) would actually be faster...

22 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Troof.  The motive force graph should give you a warm fuzzy.  It's what I used to determine whether my swap (with crappier trans gearing) would actually be faster...

I'm not a smart man by any stretch of the imagination so I have no clue what that is and Google was no help haha. Can you point me in the right direction so I can learn what's clearly way over my head? Haha thanks!!