turbogrill

Points for aftermarket / othercar hubs?

34 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

SCCA spec neon regs banned the stock neon hub for that exact reason, forcing knuckle swap of pt\shadow or purchase of acr hub to compete. 

Nature of the politics of champcar, i would assume an allowed swap to heavier parts to fix one car's achilles heel in durability to meet protest, a requirement or even suggestion to swap might be even harder for us to do.

Lot easier than explaining why a known deadly issue was allowed.    (50 shades of green ) 

36 minutes ago, Black Magic said:

SCCA spec neon regs banned the stock neon hub for that exact reason, forcing knuckle swap of pt\shadow or purchase of acr hub to compete. 

Nature of the politics of champcar, i would assume an allowed swap to heavier parts to fix one car's achilles heel in durability to meet protest, a requirement or even suggestion to swap might be even harder for us to do.

I do recall maybe a year or two back where an e36 team was pissed because they got charged points for welding the rear subframe attachment points that are known to rip out and can make the car do loop d loops across the track...

Edited by hotchkis23

19 hours ago, Racer7x said:

So first we have "0" point $1,100 miata Penske shocks being accepted with no membership debate or vote and now we have high dollar miata hubs having there point values being changed to some odd 2.125 number with no one knowing again about these rule changes...

Club leadership is telling us one thing but doing the complete opposite of what their telling us every 6 month...

Very disappointing...

I can't agree with Racer7x enough on this.  (who would have thought that 9 months ago?😅)

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

I can't agree with Racer7x enough on this.  (who would have thought that 9 months ago?😅)

QFT

hell-frozen.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

I do recall maybe a year or two back where an e36 team was pissed because they got charged points for welding the rear subframe attachment points that are known to rip out and can make the car do loop d loops across the track...

2.5 points per weld seam

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Huggy said:

QFT

hell-frozen.jpg

Hey Huggy, have you been up here in lovely Michigan? (where summer just arrived 2 weeks ago...)

Hell, MI is about 5 miles from my job here.

53 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

Hey Huggy, have you been up here in lovely Michigan? (where summer just arrived 2 weeks ago...)

I have been there, literally, in my college days\internships ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcoppola said:

AKA Flint?

hahhaha. Too soon :(

33 minutes ago, enginerd said:

AKA Flint?

hahhaha. Too soon :(

You live in Illinois you can't give poop to any other state, except maybe California.  

WTF, it called the sh*t poop! 

Edited by red0
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, red0 said:

You live in Illinois you can't give poop to any other state, except maybe California.  

WTF, it called the sh*t poop! 

no meme to back up your statement?

Image result for he called the shit poop

• Haha 3

This is fantastic for our team to see. We blew 3 Left Rear Wheel bearings this weekend at Indy, so we will be trying to find some kind of aftermarket wheel hubs that fit bigger bearings.

58 minutes ago, Bluebandit48 said:

This is fantastic for our team to see. We blew 3 Left Rear Wheel bearings this weekend at Indy, so we will be trying to find some kind of aftermarket wheel hubs that fit bigger bearings.

@Bluebandit48 it was great seeing you guys running at Indy. Wish your luck was better...

Here's what we may pursue for our Focus:

There are many hubs and stub shafts available for the old school Pinto/Mustang II. They use the old style taped roller bearings with a large inboard bearing.

Would need to check out the stackup of parts to see if track width can be maintained, then weld a flat mounting plate and caliper bracket to 1 of those pinto stubs shafts to replace the typical Focus rear stub/hub & bearing setup.

Should be a more durable setup, the Pinto/Must II hubs/stubs are often used on suspension aftermarkets kits on the front of V8 cars.

edit: Better yet, rather than welding on a stub axle shaft, I have an old set of pinto knuckles. Might be able to machine a flat mounting surface on them, and drill/tap the 4 bolt mounting pattern on the Focus trailing arm that the stock stub axle bolts to.

Edited by mcoppola

On 7/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, ETR said:

“Miata hubs don’t break unless you’re running hoohoos and big aero”

Harris Hill Raceway- “Hold my beer.”

Argue points all day and how they came to be, I don’t care. But they can and do break in ugly fashion at the hub face and no amount of repacking with unicorn grease will stop that.

Anyone know exactly how many broke at the March H2R race?  I know I saw at least one wheel/rotor/caliper assembly tossed and heard of a couple others.  

We lost 3 hubs (all bearing failures) at H2R in March. All were "good" brands and had been regreased.

We got a pair of hubs from MiataHubs.com and had no hub issues at Indy this weekend.

42 minutes ago, 11 Tenths Jay said:

We lost 3 hubs (all bearing failures) at H2R in March. All were "good" brands and had been regreased.

We got a pair of hubs from MiataHubs.com and had no hub issues at Indy this weekend.

I thought you won first place overall at H2R in March?

10 hours ago, Bluebandit48 said:

3 of them?

I'd be curious about the install.  Was a hammer involved?

8 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

3 of them?

I'd be curious about the install.  Was a hammer involved?

Yep, 3 left rear. 2 brand new good brand (skf I believe they were) and regreased with syn grease, and installed according to Ford motor install procedure. The one that lasted the longest at Indy, was the 3rd one we couldn't remember where it came from. 

First one lasted 2 hours

Second one lasted 3 hours

Third and final lasted roughly 4 hours

20 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

T hats rough!  I was hoping it was just an install issue.  Sounds like something more is going on....

We had a LR fail on us at the VIR 24 too. We thought we had the issue fixed, but that apparently is not the case. We are weighing our options and trying to come up with a solution. At this rate, we would be doing a rear bearing swap with every fuel stop for this years VIR race lol.

3 hours ago, Bluebandit48 said:

We had a LR fail on us at the VIR 24 too. We thought we had the issue fixed, but that apparently is not the case. We are weighing our options and trying to come up with a solution. At this rate, we would be doing a rear bearing swap with every fuel stop for this years VIR race lol.

A while back when we were eating specifically RF hubs on the miata, we replaced the spindle thinking that it was somehow tweaked in a way that we didnt have the tools to measure.  It helped a lot.

4 hours ago, Alchemy Autosport said:

A while back when we were eating specifically RF hubs on the miata, we replaced the spindle thinking that it was somehow tweaked in a way that we didnt have the tools to measure.  It helped a lot.

Oh yeah. We will be replacing everything in that corner for sure!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluebandit48 said:

With how quick you guys were blowing them up, and watching your repairs as a marshal, I wouldn't be surprised if you find out that some other component is tweaked and has upset the geometry and is putting too much load/strain on the hub/bearing causing the failures.  You definitely had it down and changed it pretty quick though, i was impressed!

2 hours ago, Bluebandit48 said:

Yes I would recommend that , as I wondered what was happening and stood by to watch the install , y'all did it right and handled the stuck race like a pro .  Watched you torque it and thought well it is not the installation .. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hotchkis23 said:

With how quick you guys were blowing them up, and watching your repairs as a marshal, I wouldn't be surprised if you find out that some other component is tweaked and has upset the geometry and is putting too much load/strain on the hub/bearing causing the failures.  You definitely had it down and changed it pretty quick though, i was impressed!

We were questioned if we could do it fast enough. Thankfully we had the help from both the teams next to us in the pits. We managed to do the repair, fuel, driver change etc, in 29 minutes, confirmed by an offical.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 5:44 PM, QuaTTro said:

I believe people are changing/maintaining their hubs so that they don't have a failure mid-race and have to change hubs or retire early from a race.  Sounds like the reason is more so they have better performance/race results....not because of safety.

I change hubs sort of frequently because I really don't want it to look like the broken ones I've seen in this thread. But I suppose not having the car stuffed into the tire barrier @ T17 Sebring because of a broken hub could be construed as a performance advantage :rolleyes:

With that being said, if I was new to the series and perusing the rules, I'd assume a hub was either 2x or 10 points. But I'm a simpleton and can't count half-points with my toes, only whole numbers. So this is interesting. 

Edit: there used to be a sweet billet option for 4th gen camaros, but looks like Hoosier Perf Eng is no longer around. Darn......

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 1