Sign in to follow this  
Andrew s

New Team needs help with seat

Hello everyone, have been working over the past year to begin building our champcar.  I happened to have a racing seat lying around but the rules are somewhat ambiguous as to what is really required of a seat. The seat i have can be found here http://snctuning.com/snc-tuning/snc-tuning-sp2-full-bucket-seat/g-71699.aspx  . It is a FRP seat and I am not sure if these are legal or not. And even if they are, is a fiberglass seat going to kill me in the event of a crash? Have never had a race car before so I have no idea if fiberglass seats are common in this kind of competition or not. If this seat is in fact dangerous, any suggestions on a good safe seat to buy? I have been shopping the kirkey 71 series and OMP seats. Any advice regarding seats is valuable info to me. Thanks!

Not sure bout ur seat, but we use Ultrashield.com 1piece aluminum seat and camlock harness.  With seat back brace.

we mount our seat solid, no sliders. Shorter drivers use yoga pad pieces to space up, taller drivers don’t use the pads.

my advice? For all the money you will spend in racing, do NOT skimp on safety. Anything.

buy quality seat, harness, cage, fire suppression, racing gear- all the safety stuff.

save your money (for now) and do not spend on go-fast stuff (wheels, suspension, motor upgrades, etc)

Niki Lauda RIP would tell you the same thing.

• Like 1

The rules are ambiguous.  That seat *looks* like an actual racing seat.  It should pass if it is not too floppy.

That being said, I wouldn't run it.

I recently hit the wall at Charlotte at 100+ mph.  Not even my fault.  Just wrong place at the wrong time.  The safety equipment meant I got out of a car on fire with only some soreness and 2 broken ribs.

Get an fia seat (even if it's outdated).  I'm not gonna get into the discussion of halo versus non halo....

• Like 2

On 7/4/2019 at 8:53 AM, wvumtnbkr said:

The rules are ambiguous.  That seat *looks* like an actual racing seat.  It should pass if it is not too floppy.

I recently hit the wall at Charlotte at 100+ mph.  Not even my fault.  Just wrong place at the wrong time.  The safety equipment meant I got out of a car on fire with only some soreness and 2 broken ribs.

Get an fia seat (even if it's outdated).  I'm not gonna get into the discussion of halo versus non halo....

Same.

I hit the wall nearly head on at similar speed, and walked away (slowly, with help), and the seat (OMP, HTE) is part of the system that saved me.

There are plenty of places to save money when building a race car.  A seat is not one of them.

Things to think about.

Head restraint wings.

Seat mounting angle.

Waist width.

Seat Certification/Experation.

A H&N restraint does little to nothing to protect your neck in a side impact.  IMO, winged/containment seats should be mandatory.  I personally won't race a car without them.

An expensive seat that is too loose or mounted at too much of an angle, is as dangerous as a cheap seat.

If it doesn't have a build date on it, it likely shouldn't be used.  The resins used to make fiberglass and CF, oxidize and breakdown as they age, just like helmets, belts, nets, and tires.  All will age out and become nothing more than wall ornaments even if they never see a single race mile.

Side impacts are the biggest risk to race drivers that exist in racing. Hans type devices along with your harness belts protect you in front impacts. The seat is your only defense in a heavy rear impact or passenger side impact. Spend the money and buy a quality seat(I would only use a halo type), mount it properly, buy a center net to go with the seat(even if it’s a halo), and be sure your harness is mounted properly. FIA or SFI rated seats is the minimum standard in my opinion. Cost drives all of us but in the overall cost to build a car it will be small. Spend the budget on the safety gear and go racing. Trick suspension and engine parts won’t help in an accident. Search YouTube for some sled test videos to see what happens in an accident with out side impact restraints. 

On 7/4/2019 at 9:53 AM, wvumtnbkr said:

That was my thought exactly. It seemed a little sloppy just from pulling on it with my hands a little. I will probably keep it for a street car and keep shopping for our champ car seat. Thank you very much everyone!

6 hours ago, Andrew s said:

That was my thought exactly. It seemed a little sloppy just from pulling on it with my hands a little. I will probably keep it for a street car and keep shopping for our champ car seat. Thank you very much everyone!

Keep it for a sim racing rig, don't trust other drivers on the street to not do dumb things.  At least on a track the majority of your impacts are going to be between two cars moving in similar directions, and those still can be catastrophic.

I like to buy my seats from Europe actually.  As much as I try to use series sponsors, on bigger safety items, cost is only part of the equation.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/us/

The shipping seems steep, but after conversion, a lot of motorsports stuff is significantly cheaper.  The higher turnaround in EU also means less shelf time, which is important for items like belts that have a limited service life.  Not to mention selections are often better which is important when many US distributers just drop ship big ticket items like seats anyway.

Edited by SonsOfIrony