Bill Strong

2019 TireRack.com Indy Grand Prix

2 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Didn’t you install some used calipers before this race?  I would check those, stiff calipers will cause accelerated pad wear. 

New calipers and they are fine.

30 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

New calipers and they are fine.

Well then that just leaves you were using them too much. You know the less you use that pedal the faster you go right?

You said you disconnected air ducts in previous post, were those new for this race? Depending on compound maybe over cooling?  

• Like 1

Yes, brakes only slow you down!!

There is nothing over cooled on this car, the right side ducts were crushed when we got collected in another’s spin.

Saying that, left side didn’t wear well either.

Edited by Team Infiniti

We took bits of the track home as a souvenir... the blue stuff is turn 1 apex curb. I hope Indy doesn’t mind!

0CCE5AC3-8532-464B-B0C6-0D1FE29C170B.jpeg

• Like 2

you're just lucky it wasn't brick that you rubbed.  time for a skid plate made of repurposed material for no points

Edited by theblue

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

We took bits of the track home as a souvenir... the blue stuff is turn 1 apex curb. I hope Indy doesn’t mind!

We took home a little souvenir from turn 1 too. 

BMW orange.JPG

BMW orange2 .JPG

58 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Indy probably wants $10 for that souvenir. 

2 hours ago, enginerd said:

Looks to me like Indy should be happy you did oil everything down as it seems to be a hard rub. Oil bill would have been like $1000 for clean up?

10 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Looks to me like Indy should be happy you did oil everything down as it seems to be a hard rub. Oil bill would have been like $1000 for clean up?

As it was, we lost 1 quart of oil over the ensuing 3 hours (1/2” long crack right above the drain plug from buckling). I hate to think of the trouble we would have caused everyone with red flag cleanup if we hit the pan harder!

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, enginerd said:

As it was, we lost 1 quart of oil over the ensuing 3 hours (1/2” long crack right above the drain plug from buckling). I hate to think of the trouble we would have caused everyone with red flag cleanup if we hit the pan harder!

Dry sump.  It falls in the 2x brake rule.  If you didn’t use all your $ on brake stuff you can use them on anything else.    I’m working on the petition right now.    

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

41 minutes ago, theblue said:

2x oil pan rule?  everyone knows E30 oil pans are made from titanium

I’ll keep my aluminium pan. If you saw the air we caught over that curb.... wow

Some of the launch was caused by the subframe (we have some blue marks on that and the steering rack) but I am very impressed with the durability of the oil pan. She just needs some JBweld (inside and outside) and it will be good to go!

I just had a thought.... spray bedliner on the inside of the oil pan... even if the pan cracks, it won’t leak! I have ample points to spend a couple on “plastic” material. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I’ll keep my aluminium pan. If you saw the air we caught over that curb.... wow

Some of the launch was caused by the subframe (we have some blue marks on that and the steering rack) but I am very impressed with the durability of the oil pan. She just needs some JBweld (inside and outside) and it will be good to go!

I just had a thought.... spray bedliner on the inside of the oil pan... even if the pan cracks, it won’t leak! I have ample points to spend a couple on “plastic” material. 

tenor.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Sharing this as a teaching tool.

The rule about local yellows is that you are yellow as soon as you see yellow being displayed at a flag stand, and you remain yellow until you see a flag stand without yellow AND are past the hazard. At Indy, there were flag stations in 12, 13, and start/finish. There was no flag stand at 14 or 15 (as far as I could tell). Therefore, if you saw yellow at 13, you should have remained under yellow flag conditions until getting line of sight on the start/finish flagger.

In this video, one of the Tuttle cars makes a pass in turn 15 after yellow at 12 and 13, and it's only after you're through 15 that you see why 12&13 were displaying yellow (disabled car, blind corner)(video starts after we passed the turn 12 flag station).

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 3

I notice the most egregious ignoring of yellow flags is on restarts after a FCY. While everyone gets the radio transmission from the pits yelling, "Green", in your ear, if the corner you are at is displaying yellow flags then you are under yellow flag conditions. Just because the start/finish line is green doesn't mean that nothing can go sideways before you get there. I know I was passed under FCY (The Glen) many, many times with zero repercussions. I also realize they can't catch everyone.

The video above speaks to drivers who don't understand the yellow flag rules properly. The simplest solution is that if you see a yellow then you are not racing until you see a green. More work for the corner workers but also safer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Richard said:

.The simplest solution is that if you see a yellow then you are not racing until you see a green. More work for the corner workers but also safer.

nobody is going to follow that rule.  If you're under a full yellow can't see a yellow in eye sight and get the call for green, people will go.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, enginerd said:

Sharing this as a teaching tool.

The rule about local yellows is that you are yellow as soon as you see yellow being displayed at a flag stand, and you remain yellow until you see a flag stand without yellow AND are past the hazard. At Indy, there were flag stations in 12, 13, and start/finish. There was no flag stand at 14 or 15 (as far as I could tell). Therefore, if you saw yellow at 13, you should have remained under yellow flag conditions until getting line of sight on the start/finish flagger.

In this video, one of the Tuttle cars makes a pass in turn 15 after yellow at 12 and 13, and it's only after you're through 15 that you see why 12&13 were displaying yellow (disabled car, blind corner)(video starts after we passed the turn 12 flag station).

This rule needs to be emphasized in the supps and the driver meetings.  On the morning of Indy, I couldn't remember if the rule was "yellow until you pass the incident" or "yellow until you get to a clear corner worker station".  I asked a CC official in the pits and he had no idea, so I went with the latter to be safe.  Most cars out there went with the former.   

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, c_leffe said:

This rule needs to be emphasized in the supps and the driver meetings.  On the morning of Indy, I couldn't remember if the rule was "yellow until you pass the incident" or "yellow until you get to a clear corner worker station".  I asked a CC official in the pits and he had no idea, so I went with the latter to be safe.  Most cars out there went with the former.   

Indeed. The issue with “yellow until you pass the incident” is that there could be two incidents (or three)! In my video example, if a car was stalled at pit-in, many would assume that this car was the reason for the yellow and start racing as soon as they passed, not knowing that there was still another car stalled around the blind corner!

Cars tend to crash into other cars, so it’s not unusual to have two stranded cars causing a local yellow. Waiting until the next clear flag stand before racing again is the only safe way to do it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, c_leffe said:

One of the mornings Mike C covered this point in detail in the drivers meeting.  Some people just forget when out there.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 2:31 PM, Gorillasticker.com said:

We took home a little souvenir from turn 1 too. 

BMW orange.JPG

BMW orange2 .JPG

Orange paint eh? Was that us or a different orange car?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c_leffe said:

It was taught to me and its the way I teach that you are covered under yellow until you can see the next flag stand/station.  On Saturday at Indy it was a free for all in the first stint because most had no idea where the stations were.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

It was taught to me and its the way I teach that you are covered under yellow until you can see the next flag stand/station.  On Saturday at Indy it was a free for all in the first stint because most had no idea where the stations were.

^^^^^^ times 10.  A few thoughts:

• For "new" tracks, the supps should include a map of the track with the MANNED flag stations marked on it (I'm sure the track has a plan more than a week before the race).  Ideally, we should get this for all races if possible
  • It seemed like the track spent way too much money on "yellow shirt" personnel in the parking areas and "skimped" on the number of flag locations manned (yes, I know it takes more skill to run a flag station, but I still think spending more on preventing death/injury is more important than spending on preventing a car  parking the wrong place). 
Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

It seemed like the track spent way too much money on "yellow shirt" personnel in the parking areas and "skimped" on the number of flag locations manned (yes, I know it takes more skill to run a flag station, but I still think spending more on preventing death/injury is more important that spending on preventing a car from parking the wrong place). 

My favorite was when I was on the concrete wall of the back stretch taking pics and a security guy asked me if I could stand back more.   I said "so you're asking if I can stand more in the road with my back to traffic"   He just smiled and drove off

Edited by theblue

1 hour ago, Racer28173 said:

^^^^^^ times 10.  A few thoughts:

• For "new" tracks, the supps should include a map of the track with the MANNED flag stations marked on it (I'm sure the track has a plan more than a week before the race).  Ideally, we should get this for all races if possible
  • It seemed like the track spent way too much money on "yellow shirt" personnel in the parking areas and "skimped" on the number of flag locations manned (yes, I know it takes more skill to run a flag station, but I still think spending more on preventing death/injury is more important that spending on preventing a car from parking the wrong place). 

Quoted so we can all "Like" it again. First bullet point is a great suggestion.

2nd one was the truth.

@Racer28173 I wish we would have met at Indy. Were you driving with @scottyk and JSK?

Will you be at Gingerman?

Edit: perhaps we did meet and didn't know it. I was on my bike looking for Scotty near the JSK trailer in the paddock and asked a couple guys - was 1 of them you? My son found this clip of me on CC's snapchat page. 

image.jpeg

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 4