Jump to content
Bill Strong

2019 TireRack.com Indy Grand Prix

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, enginerd said:

Sharing this as a teaching tool.

 

The rule about local yellows is that you are yellow as soon as you see yellow being displayed at a flag stand, and you remain yellow until you see a flag stand without yellow AND are past the hazard. At Indy, there were flag stations in 12, 13, and start/finish. There was no flag stand at 14 or 15 (as far as I could tell). Therefore, if you saw yellow at 13, you should have remained under yellow flag conditions until getting line of sight on the start/finish flagger.

 

In this video, one of the Tuttle cars makes a pass in turn 15 after yellow at 12 and 13, and it's only after you're through 15 that you see why 12&13 were displaying yellow (disabled car, blind corner)(video starts after we passed the turn 12 flag station).

 

 

What camera are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trigun7469 said:

What camera are you using?

GoPro hero 3 silver+

1280x720 (I think), 30fps, ‘widescreen’

Has “waterproof” clear plastic case with 1.5” roll bar clamp. Hole drilled in case for battery eliminator wire

Battery eliminator is powered by 10,000mAh battery pack

128gB memory card

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

 How long does it record 

Roughly 16 hours on the memory card. 

The battery pack will run it somewhere around 10 hours, maybe more, but the battery pack is also being charged by the car. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mcoppola said:

Quoted so we can all "Like" it again. First bullet point is a great suggestion.

2nd one was the truth.

@Racer28173 I wish we would have met at Indy. Were you driving with @scottyk and JSK?

Will you be at Gingerman?

 

Edit: perhaps we did meet and didn't know it. I was on my bike looking for Scotty near the JSK trailer in the paddock and asked a couple guys - was 1 of them you? My son found this clip of me on CC's snapchat page. 

image.jpeg

Mike-

Sadly, I didn't meet any of the people on my list except @Slugworks Paul, and that was only briefly.  Yes - I was with JSK (and also did a few laps in the other black Maxima, which was a fun car to drive).  Our pit was one of the "way down at the end" pits and we were all of the way out in the far end of the paddock with our trailer.  With the heat and all of the problems we had with the car, I didn't do much of anything other than trudge 15 minutes back and forth or hide in shade/AC (and run to the parts store).  My apologies to you, @FlorahDorah, and a few others for being "anti-social". ( I wasn't one of the guys at the trailer when you came by).

 

I'm probably not going to be at Gingerman, unless I run across a team looking for another driver.  The JSK car is posted for sale in the forum, so I may be "out of a ride" for now.  I really want to run at Road America in the fall race if I can.  Will you be at that one?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, enginerd said:

Orange paint eh? Was that us or a different orange car?

Turn 1 on Sunday around 11:00? Not sure what happened but id like to see it from in your car if you have the video. Congrats on your weekend. You guys made it a fun race to watch on Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, enginerd said:

GoPro hero 3 silver+

1280x720 (I think), 30fps, ‘widescreen’

Has “waterproof” clear plastic case with 1.5” roll bar clamp. Hole drilled in case for battery eliminator wire

Battery eliminator is powered by 10,000mAh battery pack

128gB memory card

 

Is there a reason you use the battery pack, instead of having the camera powered by the car?  Is this so it provides constant power, even when the car is off during fueling? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoachMK21 said:

Is there a reason you use the battery pack, instead of having the camera powered by the car?  Is this so it provides constant power, even when the car is off during fueling? 

Exactly. 

Or car/electrical dies on track, I don’t want the camera to turn off. No need to restart the camera after fueling. 

The big battery pack+battery eliminator idea was taken from @Doc. I used to use the standard GoPro battery with a charging wire to the GoPro and it would only last an hour after electrical issues popped up (Bad charging cord / plug come loose / etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gorillasticker.com said:

Turn 1 on Sunday around 11:00? Not sure what happened but id like to see it from in your car if you have the video. Congrats on your weekend. You guys made it a fun race to watch on Sunday. 

I had no idea this happened! But we do have a mystery dent on the left rear that no driver has owned up to..... I will look through the video and find it. Sorry about the contact :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I had no idea this happened! But we do have a mystery dent on the left rear that no driver has owned up to..... I will look through the video and find it. Sorry about the contact :(

Judging by the photo, the mystery dent would need to extend fairly high (ie the marks on gorilla extend fairly high).  Does it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gorillasticker.com said:

Turn 1 on Sunday around 11:00? Not sure what happened but id like to see it from in your car if you have the video. Congrats on your weekend. You guys made it a fun race to watch on Sunday. 

Found it. Our fault. Sorry about that, glad the damage wasn’t bad. I’ll buy your team a round at Siebkins/Brown Baer at Road America in October.

Will send you video when I get around to it later. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, enginerd said:

damage wasn’t bad

Looks like a door skin to me so maybe rounds for everyone!!!?????

 

Or at least the pit marshals :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our arrive-and-drive teammate in stint 2 on Sunday... had to post it.

#neverlift

#looseisfast

 

 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2019 at 12:20 PM, enginerd said:

We took bits of the track home as a souvenir... the blue stuff is turn 1 apex curb. I hope Indy doesn’t mind!

 

0CCE5AC3-8532-464B-B0C6-0D1FE29C170B.jpeg

 

That's Scary poop...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Our arrive-and-drive teammate in stint 2 on Sunday... had to post it.

#neverlift

#looseisfast

 

 

 

That's awesome.  I think we have some video of Huggy doing the same thing coming out of 6, but I am not smart enough nor energetic enough to clip it from our full feed.  It's in there somewhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Not nearly as smooth

 

 

You certainly win on duration!!! Wow that was nice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^Those are both some pretty awesome clips!

Some great driving/saves there @Huggy and Kerry!

It's pretty cool, and a testament to how good some of the cars, builders, and drivers are in our series - that the pro teams with the big rigs can't just come in here and be successful instantly.

We've got some really talented people in ChampCar, and we're all pretty fortunate that the series has evolved into quite the nice playground for us to be able to do something that many of us never thought was possible at one time.

#countyourblessings

#ChampCarrocks!

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what is great about the 30 second broadcast delay.  You have time to collect yourself and then tell everybody in the pits, y'all check that shite out.

 

Edit:  Well, that's the way we would say it in the south, I am sure the rest of you have your own way of doing it.

Edited by Burningham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 7:28 PM, enginerd said:

Our arrive-and-drive teammate in stint 2 on Sunday... had to post it.

#neverlift

#looseisfast

 

 

I like the tap on the steering wheel after,

 

it is like a "who's a good car!" tap

 

or "thank you, we made it"

  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NigelStu said:

I like the tap on the steering wheel after,

 

it is like a "who's a good car!" tap

 

or "thank you, we made it"

 

LOL....I thought the same exact thing.  Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:26 PM, Racer28173 said:

Mike-

Sadly, I didn't meet any of the people on my list except @Slugworks Paul, and that was only briefly.  Yes - I was with JSK (and also did a few laps in the other black Maxima, which was a fun car to drive).  Our pit was one of the "way down at the end" pits and we were all of the way out in the far end of the paddock with our trailer.  With the heat and all of the problems we had with the car, I didn't do much of anything other than trudge 15 minutes back and forth or hide in shade/AC (and run to the parts store).  My apologies to you, @FlorahDorah, and a few others for being "anti-social". ( I wasn't one of the guys at the trailer when you came by).

 

I'm probably not going to be at Gingerman, unless I run across a team looking for another driver.  The JSK car is posted for sale in the forum, so I may be "out of a ride" for now.  I really want to run at Road America in the fall race if I can.  Will you be at that one?

 

 

Hey @Racer28173 sorry for the late reply.

Right now, we entered our Focus in the PIRC race, 2 weeks before Road America.

My son's wedding 2 days ago drained my finances, so we bailed out on Gingerman :(, and might only be able to afford 1 race this season.

Racing our car at Road America would be a stretch, but if we can't do that, perhaps I'll volunteer to work that race too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...