2019 TireRack.com Indy Grand Prix

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. I went from thinking I didn't have a seat on Wednesday, to having one of the best weekends of my life.    I'm not sure anyone travelled further than I did from Brisbane, Australia to be

Premium Dudes Indy event recap:   All the prior posts about Indy and this venue have articulated my thoughts better than I can, so I'll just say that the place is epic and blew me away.

What an amazing weekend! We just reached the nirvana of amateur endurance racing!  First of all I would like to thank Andrea, Mike C, Dana, Mike M, Jay, Jimmie, Al, Kathryn and the rest of the

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Shout out to @mostmint for somehow welding our power steering hard line we cracked on Saturday. Allowed us to finish on Saturday and held all day Sunday. Ill write up a report on our dismal weekend later lol!

Thanks my son has taken up welding as a hobby he likes the challenge in real world. Glad to hear it worked the whole time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, mostmint said:

I saw some corner workers showing a white flag only.  I am not 100% on this but I swear they had a white flag for slow moving race cars.  So can I pass other cars with only a white flag? 

Yes - passing under white is legal.  The white flag is advising you that there is a slower car ahead of you on track.  Other tracks often show white a couple of stations before you get to the car (or car being flat towed) and then a yellow for the corner that it is nearest to.

• Like 1

Despite the disappointment of having to withdraw our own team entry a week before the race, Team Hugh Jass were still able to enjoy a weekend at Indianapolis. 14 of us made the trip to the Speedway in order to support each other and ChampCar as a whole.

Thanks to @rbankracing.com for the opportunity to drive one of the Turbo Saabs - was definitely a new experience coming from the 1.6 Miata world but was able to enjoy a decent hour of racing on Saturday, particularly with the @Team Infiniti shark - we were two-wide through quite a few corners. An electrical failure (and subsequent tow) put paid to that stint, and then a persistent overheating issue on Sunday lead to limited running. However, it was an honour to drive with this experienced team, and to compete at such a legendary venue. Driving out onto pit road and over the famous bricks for the first time was an exciting moment. 

Despite exiting into the extended FCY period on Sunday, I thought driving standards were generally good given the huge number of cars on track at any one time. There was generally good awareness - one moment that will stick in my mind is coming into T13 on the inside of a Miata, both braking at the 300 board, and making eye contact with the other driver as both our inside fronts locked slightly - racing room was given and we all went on our merry way. 

I will echo others here and say I found the flagging a little inconsistent and sub-standard. I don't know if this feedback will accomplish anything or not, but the white flag seemed to be used somewhat indiscriminately, and the gaps between marshal posts made some sections a little difficult to parse. One particular experience of note from Sunday - after running wide on entry to T1 due to a late braking move by some sort of E36, I dutifully followed the procedure that @chisek told us in the Sunday driver meeting and followed the arrows through the escape road. Trying to rejoin the track, the marshal at the T3 post failed to see me entirely, after waving at her she seemed to make eye contact, looked down the track, and then went back to her radio/phone and seemed entirely uninterested in helping to facilitate a safe rejoin - I had to rely upon my own limited visibility to judge when it was safe. I find it ridiculous to be explicitly told how to approach a certain racing situation in the briefing (based on feedback from marshals), and then have the corner workers completely fail to adhere to this procedure when the time comes. 

Edited by Rapido
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, hotrod said:

We got clobbered one hour in on Sunday. We built the car with safety in mind. It doesn't seem like much but I built a foot box around the drivers legs & feet.   One of our veteran drivers Dennis Neel was in the car. He has some soreness on his right shoulder from the shoulder belt & Hans device and remembers hitting the inside of the foot box with his feet & legs but suffered no injury's. All our guys have to go to work on Monday. IndyCar, NASCAR, NHRA, Super V8's & others have this in the rule book & its  easy to do.   

IMG_4.jpg

IMG_1.jpg

I think if I had that footbox at Charlotte I wouldn't have feet anymore.  The floor of the car "oil canned" up about 6 to 8 inches.  Is there anything there to stop the floor from moving up?

4 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Yes - passing under white is legal.  The white flag is advising you that there is a slower car ahead of you on track.  Other tracks often show white a couple of stations before you get to the car (or car being flat towed) and then a yellow for the corner that it is nearest to.

Can't recall seeing that before, but it is right in the ChampCar flag reference!  Thanks

I couldn't be more happy with the weekend - a great time with old friends, making new friends and gaining a couple great teammates.

My car was the 06 Datsun (lol) Altima. The sum total of the testing on that car was 3 laps at NJMP where the first engine spun a bearing, and a few hours on the dyno. It had a litany of small issues (took about 4.5 minutes to fuel it and understeers like a draft horse) but was able hold position fairly high on the leaderboard all weekend. Sunday we had rear pads get obliterated and eventually a rear caliper  piston popped out and bled out all the fluid. We spent about 15 minutes fixing that and dropped about 10 places.

My car was hit once on a low (no) percentage divebomb by the Connoly #210 silver E46. His car looked like it had been through a zombie apocalypse by the end of the weekend, and i was told it was clean at the beginning.  One of my wheels was cracked, but luckily my car seems generally fine.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Technical Advisory Committee
7 hours ago, thomasp said:

RBRacing CRX; transmission broke

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Thanks. Can't help but cheer for the EF's!

I think the trans broke, but I haven't really looked at it too much tbh. A box full of neutrals and some nasty noises coming from the transmission was enough to tell me that with 5 hours to go in the race that it was not going back on track. 

I'm glad someone was cheering for us. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
15 minutes ago, red0 said:

I think the trans broke, but I haven't really looked at it too much tbh. A box full of neutrals and some nasty noises coming from the transmission was enough to tell me that with 5 hours to go in the race that it was not going back on track. 

I'm glad someone was cheering for us. 

Well driven and fast as usual guys! 

• Like 2
  • Technical Advisory Committee

This weekend was the only time we have had working cool suits in all our cars! Thank you www.90racing.com for helping us keep our drivers safe and cool. 

90racing.com has recently added a new feature to their website where it now shows how many of each item you are looking at are in stock. 

Take a look at the new feature HERE  where I am using the coolshirt club system cooler as an example.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

My car was hit once on a low (no) percentage divebomb by the Connoly #210 silver E46. His car looked like it had been through a zombie apocalypse by the end of the weekend, and i was told it was clean at the beginning.  One of my wheels was cracked, but luckily my car seems generally fine.

That was one car I had some concern for and learned to stay away from.

This was an amazing an historic event that I"ll never forget. I"ll have a positive post once I get a chance but I want to share something bad while this race is fresh in our minds.  

Last 15 minutes of the Sunday race a  Silver E46 sedan did a very unsafe pass.   In this short clip you can see me acknowledge the yellow flag with wave, drop speed to head to the back straight.  You can see all the yellow lights flashing right away.  Whoever was driving the car ignored two flag stations and proceeded at full race speed down the back straight passing me right at the scene of the workers and then not even care enough to give back the spot.  SHAME.   there was no way you missed all of this by mistake.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 5

@hotrod

From Team Well Lubricated Racing, the green focus pitted next to you, we can't thank you enough for your help and support on Sunday! Going through 3 LR wheel bearings was just unbelievable! 

We thought we might have had your contact on video, however, we weren't close enough to see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Huggy said:

Finally, Shoutout to @Round3Racing.  I really enjoyed my battles with 2 of your cars on Saturday afternoon.  See here for the footage, it really lasted for 30+ minutes as I tried to wheel the big girl around and keep you in sight.   It was a heart breaker for us at the end, with your black and white car passing us for P3 with 2 laps to go.   I don't have many finger nails left after that one.

@Huggy Great video.  I was in the silver car.  You and I had a long battle on Saturday.  I was having a blast, hooting and hollering in the car.  That was a big "thumbs up" that I kept throwing at you.  I hope that it didn't look like something else.  I really had a good time racing with you.  Super clean and respectful...as it should be.  I was so worn out after that stint that they had to lift me out of the car.  Cool suit wasn't working, water hose had fallen down on the first lap, and my air hose had popped off.  But I would not trade that stint.  So much fun.  Thank you for the clean racing.  Hope to see you again soon.

By the way, that was Speedy Dan Clarke (former F3 World Champion, IndyCar driver, etc) in the white car.  I got to follow him for a little bit and I am truly in awe of him.  Amazing to watch him wheel a car.  Also really fun to get coached by a pro with an English accent.

• Like 3
  • Administrators

Crank Yankers Racing Summary:

Loaded in on Friday morning which was awesome!  I couldn't believe we were racing Indy, so I kind of took it all in during the morning.  We loaded into A3 garage and we had a perfect spot.  If I go back next year I'll request the same garage and pit stall.  We loaded everything in and found that our low pressure fuel pump was leaking.  Luckily I bought another one last week to have as a back up so we replaced it.  I did replace the high pressure pump a week before the event because it was whining really bad.  Friday we setup pits and took pictures.  Union Jacks was a cool place to go.

Saturday - I had a lot to do before the event.  Not sure how everyone does it, but since I am a just one person and the rest rental drivers, I setup all the technology stuff.  I had to zip tie the hotspot in, my extra phone for the Race Capture, make sure the AiM smarty cam was started, make sure the back up camera was started and start the live video.  Unfortunately our live video did not start on YouTube so that was a bummer, but good thing I had two other cameras rolling.

First stint out we were near the back and by the end of the stint we were up into 3rd place.  Pretty happy with my first driver getting down to the 2:00 lap time mark pretty quickly.  Next person in did a great job and we were still in the hunt to compete.  It was difficult to capture a race strategy due to all the full course cautions and they were untimely for us with our pit windows.  Might have done better if you did an extra stop and take advantage of the FCY.  We were in the hunt until we received a black flag for PUY during the 3rd stint and the 4th stint my driver beached it for about 5 minutes.  We still finished 10th and I was happy with it due to the complications we had. We lost front brakes probably in the middle of the 3rd stint as well. When I got in I had to pump the crap out of the brakes into T1 and T12/T13.  I only spun once and missed T1 once. 

Sunday - We were starting near the front and I put my fast driver out to try and build up a lead.  We knew we would be one of the quickest cars in the morning. Eric goes out again and he does awesome.  Got us the lead and a 20 second gap.  When we came out of the pits we were up 1 minute on P2.  We ended up trading positions with @red0 and @enginerd for the 2nd and 3rd stint. The 4th stint was really fun to watch.  We were gaining on Premium Dudes but just couldn't pass them.  My driver missed a turn and spun, so that cost us some time.  He was being a little aggressive and was a little excited I think.  Last stint I get in the car and saw Premium Dudes stopped at pit out.  I pass them and told myself this is the time to nail some laps.  Well I met some conga lines during some local yellows and put in some awfully slow laps vs Premium Dudes.  Also really went hot into T1 when I saw Premium Dudes on my tail.  At the end we just didn't have it for the last stint and Premium Dudes did. It was a great race and we still finished P2 in a really stacked field.

I was able to celebrate the P2 with @wvumtnbkr as he greeted me with a Liquid Bliss when I got out of the car.  @bbaker480 gave me a big ol bear hug.  

Thanks to everyone who was there to volunteer @hotchkis23 @JDChristianson @55mini @mcoppola and work.  Glad to do the beer exchange with @Huggy  @FlorahDorah and @pintodave.  Happy to run into @Black Magic for a little bit.  Also @scottyk good to see you and hang out.  @Slugworks Paul and I shared some moonshine together on Friday and had some good laughs.  Stupid good run for his first outing in the Altima. Got to chat with @Team Infiniti in impound on Sunday.  

See you all at Gingerman! 

20190715_110129.jpg

• Like 13
  • Administrators
58 minutes ago, theblue said:

This was an amazing an historic event that I"ll never forget. I"ll have a positive post once I get a chance but I want to share something bad while this race is fresh in our minds.  

Last 15 minutes of the Sunday race a  Silver E46 sedan did a very unsafe pass.   In this short clip you can see me acknowledge the yellow flag with wave, drop speed to head to the back straight.  You can see all the yellow lights flashing right away.  Whoever was driving the car ignored two flag stations and proceeded at full race speed down the back straight passing me right at the scene of the workers and then not even care enough to give back the spot.  SHAME.   there was no way you missed all of this by mistake.

Looks like Matt Connolly once again......

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, c_leffe said:

First off, many thanks to the ChampCar staff and IMS, it was a fantastic weekend all around!

I have to commend the sportsmanship during the last 2 hours on Sunday.  We (A327) were in a good battle for first in class, and while working our way through traffic, everyone was very courteous to point us by and not hold us up.  In particular, the A63 miata was very helpful.  Additionally, the C462 car was fantastic.  The driver could've blown by me on the front straight with ease, but he/she held off for almost 40 minutes, presumably to avoid holding me up in the infield.  Finally, with only a lap or so left and no traffic issues, he/she let it rip down the straight.  Hopefully you saw the huge thumbs up as you went by.  I owe you a beer or six.  

It was hard to find everyone in the pits after the race, so I wanted to post here and thank everyone for how they drove near the end.

That was me in the C462 Altima. You were fast as heck, and clearly pushing reasonably hard (now I know why). My tires were entirely gone and we just underwent an emergency brake repair in the pits and I wasn't about to cause another one.. as you said the only place I could have gotten you were the straights then would have been immediately holding you up. I was happy to tuck in behind you and run very respectably quick laps. 

Thanks to you as well for courteous driving, I enjoyed our dicing and you are a talented driver!

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Looks like Matt Connolly once again......

I have video of them spinning a blue car exiting the esses in stint 1 Saturday, and another of our drivers reported them hitting a car on Sunday, too!

Edited by enginerd
4 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I have video of them spinning a blue car exiting the esses in stint 1 Saturday, and another of our drivers reported them hitting a car on Sunday, too!

IMO - if EC cars are committing egregious amounts of penalties, give them the boot. They're guests in our circus, as far as i'm concerned and need to behave as much or more than any overall competitors.

I believe CCES is looking into these infractions.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 7
  • Administrators
7 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Can you please upload to YouTube and send it to me Nate?

• Like 2