2019 TireRack.com Indy Grand Prix

37 minutes ago, BollingerChump said:

Absolutely it's on us.  I think my fairly open and honest post serves well enough, but I'll spell it out: Full responsibility taken here publicly. 

Good to hear and i wasn't calling out your team,  again i was just pointing out the irony of the post.  no blame anywheres

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow. I went from thinking I didn't have a seat on Wednesday, to having one of the best weekends of my life.    I'm not sure anyone travelled further than I did from Brisbane, Australia to be

Premium Dudes Indy event recap:   All the prior posts about Indy and this venue have articulated my thoughts better than I can, so I'll just say that the place is epic and blew me away.

What an amazing weekend! We just reached the nirvana of amateur endurance racing!  First of all I would like to thank Andrea, Mike C, Dana, Mike M, Jay, Jimmie, Al, Kathryn and the rest of the

Posted Images

4 hours ago, BollingerChump said:

Was leaving room for you down the inside and when I didn't see you alongside at corner exit I looked up in my mirrror to see one of the very aggresively driven miatas (white) at a pretty good perpendicular angle to your door and hear your tires screeching off into the grass.  

The car that hit us was also an all white Miata.  I'll try to get the video downloaded tonight and get a quick clip of it.  

31 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

I've been chewing on this one for a few days.  Neck is still a big sore and my soul is a bit crushed.  Indy was the greatest and the worst race at the same time for WUDU.  Sorry for the wall of text, but its our story.

We left out of Birmingham Thursday morning and had a great trip.  Our team chemistry is a bit like 4 brothers who constantly pick on each other...its pretty freaking amazing if ya ask me.  We got to the hotel around 6pm and drank all the beers and ate at the pub across the street (Great pizza BTW).  On our walk back we found some more teams in the parking lot and talked it up for a bit.  Ended up in the courtyard throwing bean bags at boards for a while until the cooler was empty, then headed for bed.  

We woke up early on Friday morning in an attempt to beat the crowd to the staging lot, which we did.  We watched 2017 SCCA vids for a while until other teams started pulling in and we wander the parking lot chatting with everyone we recognized.  Got to meet @David Haines and @Rapido for the first time which was cool after getting stomped by both of them regularly in iRacing.  Once the line started forming for parking passes we met the RVA guys who are really cool and chatted with them for a few until the moment arrived.  We got our passes and headed for INDY!  Pulling into Indy was awesome, the tunnel reminded me of Daytona but seeing the museum as you pull in and the stands being so close...freaking awesome.  We headed for the garages and unloaded as fast as we could.  Jack took the car to tech while Paul got all our gear tech'd.  Myself and Hank got the trailer parked and we felt like we had won already.  Our renter showed up a little later, we got Fifi though tech, and we started prepping to get our stuff to our pit stall.  It was then, I got a text message "Jack Down", then another text message "In the pits".  Didn't think much of it, then Paul comes riding back and tells us Jack went over the handlebars on his bike after the chain slipped and gashed his head pretty bad.  We all run down and find Jack sitting on pit lane with blood all over.  Our renter's wife, took him to the doc to get put back together and we headed out for lunch.  Then we get the text from Jack that says the doctor doesn't want him to drive this weekend.  This was a bummer.  Come to find out, he had sprained his wrist as well as a nice 4 inch gash on his head.  After lunch, we get back and got in the line for gas.  This took about an hour or so...borderline mess it seemed, but we got though it.  Got our picture on the bricks (Thanks Champcar) and headed out to dinner.  

Woke up Saturday about the same time as Friday.  Get the car to pit lane, head to drivers meeting.  Was cool hearing everyone sing the national anthem.  Driver lineup for the day was myself, our renter Chad, Hank, Paul, then our renter again since Jack couldn't drive.  I got dressed and started thinking good thoughts.  Got belted into the car, got the cool shirt going and headed out for our pace laps.  Only the second time I've started a race since my first Champcar race in 2017 at VIR24.  Did our first lap and a gap had developed between the car in front of us and the car in front of them.  About the time I noticed "GREEN GREEN GREEN" comes pumping though the radio and its on.  I got caught behind a slower car and got passed by what I thought was everyone.  Got settled and started trying to make up spots.  So much traffic..so many cars.  After maybe 6 laps I come out of turn 8 and the car starts to cut out.  I make it back to pits and we start going though everything.  About 7 mins in and we find it, our ECU fuse wire had pulled out of the fuse holder.  Re crimp and bam, Fifi is back to running. I came into the pits in 60th, I went back out in 80th.  I had a fun time running with a lot of cars.  Had fun with the TWOth guys, had fun with the @Team Infiniti for about half a lap until we hit the front straight.  A few aggressive drivers, but nothing really dumb outside of the one driver in the supra who may have not have seen me at his right quarter.  I got passed under yellow about 20 times it seemed like.  Turn 11 was the worst, the black flag station wasn't holding yellow and people were not looking for or couldn't see the turn 12 station.  Got to run with Chris in the @Burningham machine for a few laps and actually ran him down on the front straight.  I had a blast in the first stint and got one good clean lap in the 2:05's and of course it was then I get the box call in the radio.  Bring in the car, hand it off to our renter, and the day continued.

Fifi was running great it seemed. She'd get a bit hotter than we liked, but turn on the cooling fan and she'd get right back down to what we would expect for a 90*F day.   We had already discussed treating Indy as nothing but fun.  We saw the competition we were up against.  With all the Rbank cars, Jacky Ickx's, Premium Dudes, R3R, Mostmint....we knew it would be tough to crack the top.  After our ECU fuse, I was hoping for a top 30...maybe top 20 finish.  It was starting to look like that.  Stint after stint we kept creeping up the order, about 20 positions a stint if not more.  We were nailing pit stops, all right at 5 mins from pit in to pit out.  In the 4th stint, our rental driver asked if I wanted to take the last stint.  I said we could flip for it, so we did and I won 3 times.  So I go get my stuff and get ready to get strapped in.

Car comes in the pits in 19th place, I get in ready for what I refer to as the longest stint of the day.  Closing always takes forever it seems.  I go out and start getting a feel for the car again.  Traffic felt much lighter and the track felt a bit greasier but manageable.  With a little more than an hour left, I start my turn into 6a onto the back straight.  Fifi starts what feels like a light slide, so I put in some countersteer.  Fifi then makes a loud thud and the car goes up on its side.  It was right about then that I thought the car was going on the roof...but somehow it didn't.  The car then pivoted around 180 degrees and came back down and slid to a stop on the left side of the track.  I then see one of my wheels roll past me into the wall.  Turned the car off, hit the kill switch and radio'd into the pits that something broke and the car almost rolled.  It was also about then I found out my rear door had come off.  Halo seat had done its job, I don't know if I'll ride in a race car without a halo seat from now on.  Dropped the net and gave a thumbs up to the corner worker and waited for safety crew.  Safety showed up, asked if I was ok, which I was.  When they finally let me out of the car, I got my first look at Fifi and she was a mess.  Left rear wheel was gone (come to find out the left axle snapped and jammed the wheel into the rear wheel well causing the car to go up on its side).  The right side of the car didn't look any better.  Both right side wheels were shattered.  I was still a bit in shock when they put me in the ambulance.  Got to take a ride to the med center and hang out with the doc and two hot nurses.  Jack had ridden over and was waiting on me.  The doc made me stay until my blood pressure came down (said it was really, really, really high).  The @Burningham guys came back to check on me, as well as Chiz.

When they let me out and I got to see Fifi back at the garage I was heartbroken.  I cant imagine I was fun to be around, but I sucked it up as much as I could and we got Fifi rolling enough to put her in the garage and go to dinner.  I drank all the beers and a few bourbons at dinner.  Really bummed out about everything, not crossing start/finish and knowing that tomorrow we wouldn't be racing.  I woke up the next day with a sore neck/back and we loaded up and headed out.

Big thanks to all the Champcar guys who made Indy possible.  Amazing track.  Was fun seeing all the usual suspects at the track, talking smack and meeting all the new guys.  Very bittersweet event for us.  Not sure what we are going to do next.  Not even sure if Fifi is rebuild-able in her current state.  She is currently in the trailer until we can figure out what we are going to do.  Still unsure why the axle failed, less than a year old with only maybe 4 or 5 races on them and a few track days.

Congrats to the Podiums finishers both days,  Really happy for the Burningham guys!  WTG!!!

AND to the genius walking down pit lane with a cigarette in hand right next to 200 Gallons of gas, you're an idiot and that is why I called you one.

1283091824_AbePagoda.thumb.jpg.f6001bfa082b9eb8d2603ad6aa290077.jpg

681128867_wheel2.jpg.c5ac069be2514b154a32790957a9063d.jpg

wheel.thumb.jpg.e3813f799caf432844c0f47fdc212c1f.jpg

Bent.thumb.jpg.1659addb655ea5d72d9d08a80863893b.jpg

If you look ahead to 6a, you can just catch my car going up on its side for a split second.

https://youtu.be/2MyHuJgMlUE?t=12550

Glad you are ok!  Holy crap!!!

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Here is the first stint from Saturday, going from 76th to 3rd I believe.  Good battle with @red0

nevermind, I'm wrong.  Fun to watch!

Edited by Jer
What an amazing weekend!
We just reached the nirvana of amateur endurance racing! 
First of all I would like to thank Andrea, Mike C, Dana, Mike M, Jay, Jimmie, Al, Kathryn and the rest of the Champcar staff to allow us to achieve a dream we didn’t even know was possible: race at Indy!!!
I would like to thank:
- my teammates for an awesome weekend: Keith Pecha, Clark Wagner, Chris Bany, Mike Fuchs, Brian Cheaney, and Dan King. 
- our pit crew: Dale Bany (in his 70’s and filling up 2 cars in this heat)
- our support staff: the Dan King’s family (😳Kaitlin)
- our sponsors: Zoe Pecha, Janice Wagner, Sandy Bany, Chris Fuchs, Becky Cheaney, Debbie King, and Anne Lebec!!!!!!!!
And a special kudos to our sole mechanic Mike Fuchs who not only can wheel them on track, but can prepare 2 Mitsubishi 3000GTs to be reliable and competitive.
I’ll post some details of our races later, but I wanted to echo the feeling Birmingham shared: one of the best things about our race weekends is the interaction with our teammates, our competitors and the Champcar staff! 
It’s like a bunch of friends going at amazing tracks all around the country to have fun together!!!
I love you guys...
  • Like 13
Just now, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Yeah it's called back fire from the exhaust.  He's no where close to the Miatas when passing them Jerry.

Well look where the Miata is on corner entry. Nevermind, you're right.  It's backfire.  

Edited by Jer
  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, Jer said:

Well look where the Miata is on corner entry.  If you say so, then it's backfire.  Just looked like a couple of cars pinch with slight contact, but maybe not.  \

At the 3:50 mark the car is fully cleared and Miata is in the rear view mirror

At the 6:00 mark the Miata is feet from our car and the pass has been made.

Back fire from the exhaust as it happened all day in the car. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.49.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 4.50.21 PM.png

48 minutes ago, Philippe said:
What an amazing weekend!
We just reached the nirvana of amateur endurance racing! 
First of all I would like to thank Andrea, Mike C, Dana, Mike M, Jay, Jimmie, Al, Kathryn and the rest of the Champcar staff to allow us to achieve a dream we didn’t even know was possible: race at Indy!!!
I would like to thank:
- my teammates for an awesome weekend: Keith Pecha, Clark Wagner, Chris Bany, Mike Fuchs, Brian Cheaney, and Dan King. 
- our pit crew: Dale Bany (in his 70’s and filling up 2 cars in this heat)
- our support staff: the Dan King’s family (😳Kaitlin)
- our sponsors: Zoe Pecha, Janice Wagner, Sandy Bany, Chris Fuchs, Becky Cheaney, Debbie King, and Anne Lebec!!!!!!!!
And a special kudos to our sole mechanic Mike Fuchs who not only can wheel them on track, but can prepare 2 Mitsubishi 3000GTs to be reliable and competitive.
I’ll post some details of our races later, but I wanted to echo the feeling Birmingham shared: one of the best things about our race weekends is the interaction with our teammates, our competitors and the Champcar staff! 
It’s like a bunch of friends going at amazing tracks all around the country to have fun together!!!
I love you guys...

Just be careful not to let those rental car alarms scare you in the parking lot of the hotel anymore!

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

Mechanical failure after car had been in the pits to address said mechanical failure.   When you change a tire and forget to tighten the bolts and takes out another team, the 'mechanical failure' is still on you. 

You know some people on this forum should hold there comments since they don't have any idea on what they are talking about. If you can't be positive stay off with your negative posts,

since I seem to not see you at this race.

Flame away! 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

Fifi was running great it seemed. She'd get a bit hotter than we liked, but turn on the cooling fan and she'd get right back down to what we would expect for a 90*F day.   We had already discussed treating Indy as nothing but fun.  We saw the competition we were up against.  With all the Rbank cars, Jacky Ickx's, Premium Dudes, R3R, Mostmint....we knew it would be tough to crack the top.

Car comes in the pits in 19th place, I get in ready for what I refer to as the longest stint of the day.  Closing always takes forever it seems.  I go out and start getting a feel for the car again.  Traffic felt much lighter and the track felt a bit greasier but manageable.  With a little more than an hour left, I start my turn into 6a onto the back straight.  Fifi starts what feels like a light slide, so I put in some countersteer.  Fifi then makes a loud thud and the car goes up on its side.  It was right about then that I thought the car was going on the roof...but somehow it didn't.  The car then pivoted around 180 degrees and came back down and slid to a stop on the left side of the track.  I then see one of my wheels roll past me into the wall.  Turned the car off, hit the kill switch and radio'd into the pits that something broke and the car almost rolled.  It was also about then I found out my rear door had come off.  Halo seat had done its job, I don't know if I'll ride in a race car without a halo seat from now on. 

Still unsure why the axle failed, less than a year old with only maybe 4 or 5 races on them and a few track days.

Bummer - sorry to see this!  After people getting hurt, this is a car owner's worst nightmare!  It is a reality to live with every time the car goes on track. 

Best of luck with whatever is next be it a repair or new build - and thanks for the props.  We are not near the fastest car out there, but we can usually keep it going. 

• Like 2

A few videos of the 210 Connolly car. He told me he was in the car at the time.

UNDER YELLOW, he attempts to divebomb my car and hits us in the left rear wheel (which upon further inspection is now cracked):
https://youtu.be/5o2Gh0g4GHk?t=3878

The following video is what really scares me, no contact but hoooooly cow was that reckless and close:
https://youtu.be/5o2Gh0g4GHk?t=4162

Good lord. I want his race schedule so I can make sure not to share a track with him.

Edited by Slugworks Paul

I might be mixing a few stories....  he told a champcar competitor that he was gonna destroy them at a race.  That next race was Nelson ledges.  The competitor beat him by like 20 plus laps and was off track for like 3 hours....

They are super aggressive.

If this is repeat behavior from him, It is my humble opinion he has no place racing with us, particularly if he's not going to even make an effort to build a competition legal car, wield a gun in a knife fight, and use it to ruin the day of legitimate competitors.

Maybe i'm harsh.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
9 hours ago, Burningham said:

With every one of these races when I look back the part that I enjoy the most is the hanging out with everybody.  We had our normal group drivers of Chris P and Casey and for this race we added @Huggy and @Hurljohn to help drive and Chris' squeeze Lexi to help in the pits.  Awesome group to hang with..........

........Congrats to @Philippe, @CWag and the rest of the Jacky Ickx guys on the win Saturday and to the Premium team's win on Sunday.  It's tough to win these things anywhere, but to do it at Indy is a big deal.  I really hated to come up on turn 7 and see @Jab31169 with a destroyed car from the axle breaking, that had to be a heartbreaker.  Good to hang with you and @Gordo and the rest of the guys along with all of Dan's team of Rocketham Racing in addition to Scott and Rich of @ConeCrushers.  I was able to give @mcoppola and @JDChristianson a hard time while they stood out in the sun from the comfort of my tent, good job guys and thanks for doing the work required there. 

Thanks to all of the Champ staff for putting this on, it was a great event.  Andrea, thanks for making those calls over and over until you got somebody to bite to allow us to come there.  My 80+ year old parents were able to come support us, so I really appreciate the chance to do what we did and have them there.  Can't say enough how much that meant.  

I LOVE this post-and what a great looking group of happy smiles in the picture!  Well said and well done this weekend Roger & team!  This epitomizes why we all do this.  We are united by a common passion for racing, the continued striving to improve every aspect of our program, but never losing site that it's the friendships and memories we are making that is what makes it all worth it. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Slugworks Paul said:

A few videos of the 210 Connolly car. He told me he was in the car at the time.

UNDER YELLOW, he attempts to divebomb my car and hits us in the left rear wheel (which upon further inspection is now cracked):
https://youtu.be/5o2Gh0g4GHk?t=3878

The following video is what really scares me, no contact but hoooooly cow was that reckless and close:
https://youtu.be/5o2Gh0g4GHk?t=4162

Good lord. I want his race schedule so I can make sure not to share a track with him.

It might be a good thing to send video like that to Mr C at HQ 

2 hours ago, mostmint said:

Bummer - sorry to see this!  After people getting hurt, this is a car owner's worst nightmare!  It is a reality to live with every time the car goes on track. 

Best of luck with whatever is next be it a repair or new build - and thanks for the props.  We are not near the fastest car out there, but we can usually keep it going. 

I mean, you've won a 24 or two. I have a tshirt with you car on it. Respect is due for sure. We are still working on the formula it seems

Full write up to come.  In the meantime I am looking to understand what happened in an incident on Sunday just before noon in turn 1 with 170 The Banana Splits.  I was on the outside in a line of cars and the last time I checked my mirror they looked so far back I did not think they could get to the corner in time.  I made the turn and got seriously popped in the right side - spun out knocked off course.  I was hot!  I hope they weren't doing audio from my car on the broadcast.  Fortunately the Saturn took the hit and with a tire change and some duct tape we were able to continue.  There will be many hours with a porta power and lots of new panels needed before the next race. 

From my view the 170 passed at least two cars en route to contact with me, and would not have been able to negotiate a side by side turn coming in at that speed.  Trying to figure out what happened there so anyone who saw it I would appreciate your perspective.  I should have sought them out that day but I was concerned about the red mist.

I was out there from 10:05 until noon on Sunday.  I did my best to stay out of the way of the faster cars, and do point bys to anyone clearly faster with an ounce of patience.  I lifted many times to get us in line for corners.  A couple times I did not stay on line which did cause some confusion I can be more deliberate about that next time.