Opinions needed - Amazon Prime day deals, last day 7/16

pintodave

Thoughts & opinions???? It's a chunk of change, and not something I was really planning on especially right after Indy, but if it's a reasonable deal for the unit I might pull the trigger. The old Dell workstation laptop I am using is just not up to snuff... Single car practice I am fine, but trying to race and I was lagging all over the place 😥

Wouldn't mind building, but I am not really looking for a project. I am not SUPER versed at what is good/bad/ugly, but this is looking like a pretty good choice and something I can go VR racing with out of the box.

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-Supreme-SLC10200CPG-i9-9900K-GeForce/dp/B07J1W2NHB/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=gaming+pc&qid=1563278427&s=gateway&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-7

What's up @pintodave - sorry I didn't come over and say hi at Indy, didn't realise you were there driving the Shark. Had a good tussle with whoever was in that car around 2pm-3pm on the Saturday, which may or may not have included a little nudge in the middle of the esses....

Price isn't bad for a pre-built box versus building your own - especially as it's liquid cooled (which adds a decent amount of complexity to any project). You're probably paying a slight premium but if you weigh that against the convenience I'd say it's pretty even. It'll certainly be fine for iRacing/VR hardware requirements. Let us know if you pull the trigger and we can assist on the VR setup, which can be more finicky. 

• Like 2

Did you just google the best home gaming pc you can buy?  An Intel I9 and a 2070 graphics card with 8 gigs and you came here to ask if this was ok? 

Damn dude, I'm still using a 2011 HP All-In-One with an i5-1st gen and 6 gigs of ram...  with onboard video.  Might as well get a 60" tv for a monitor too, that way you can race with a full 180 view.

• Haha 1

Haha yeah, I'm not up to date on the new PC stuff as my old junk still runs CAD fine, so I just shut my brain off to what's out there over the past few years. 

@Rapido no problem!!! It is super tough to get by and say hi to everyone you want at a busy race weekend. I missed catching a lot of people, you included. Yea, I'll do a little soul-searching in the next couple of hours - I'm leaning to biting the bullet and jumping in. If it keeps me entertained and from buying a REAL dirt car for a while, then it's cheaper 🤣🤣🤣

38 minutes ago, Justin9 said:

Might as well get a 60" tv for a monitor too, that way you can race with a full 180 view.

Nahhhh Oculus Rift S brah! Supposedly the screen door effect has been improved a little. I'll probably wait to pull the trigger on that til black Friday or something. 

8 minutes ago, pintodave said:

Haha yeah, I'm not up to date on the new PC stuff as my old junk still runs CAD fine, so I just shut my brain off to what's out there over the past few years. 

@Rapido no problem!!! It is super tough to get by and say hi to everyone you want at a busy race weekend. I missed catching a lot of people, you included. Yea, I'll do a little soul-searching in the next couple of hours - I'm leaning to biting the bullet and jumping in. If it keeps me entertained and from buying a REAL dirt car for a while, then it's cheaper 🤣🤣🤣

If someone buys Dave a beer drinking machine they will be set for retirement...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pintodave said:

Nahhhh Oculus Rift S brah! Supposedly the screen door effect has been improved a little. I'll probably wait to pull the trigger on that til black Friday or something. 

@Jab31169 just picked up the rift s after going office space on his original rift, he can tell ya about it.  VR is great.

• Haha 1

@Gordo & @Jab31169 sorry about the tough weekend - I wanted to catch you for a beer, man that is a crappy one for sure. If it's any consolation, at least it was a freak mechanical failure and not a bonehead move on your part (or another car). 

I'd be curious to hear feedback on the new Rift S (and maybe some backstory on the original 🤣)

• Like 1

Yea, the original one got hulk'd after it blacked out on me for like the 14th time after replacing cables and such.  S is nice, more pixels are good.  Seems a bit harder to find the sweet spot but I've only used it for maybe 2 hours at this point.  The sound SUCKS in the S for sure, but a set of headphones would fix that up.

We will be back at some point sooner or later.

Just pulled the trigger on the Cyberpower. Ugh, I am such a cheapass.

I did a bit of quick education - I see the Cyberpower machines can be a bit of a hodgepodge of parts mfgs, but even picking comparable mid-level stuff at pc parts picker, I was having a hard time getting the parts to beat this sale price so I just sucked it up and bought it. 

Woohoo I can finally go iRacing for realz. Now my crashes will be so much more realistic LOL.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pintodave said:

Just pulled the trigger on the Cyberpower. Ugh, I am such a cheapass.

I did a bit of quick education - I see the Cyberpower machines can be a bit of a hodgepodge of parts mfgs, but even picking comparable mid-level stuff at pc parts picker, I was having a hard time getting the parts to beat this sale price so I just sucked it up and bought it. 

Woohoo I can finally go iRacing for realz. Now my crashes will be so much more realistic LOL.

Nice.  Hit us up when you get iRacing up and running.  I am "Paul Roddy2" and @Jab31169 is "Chris Kniseley".  See ya online. (be prepared for a lot of "in app" purchases!!!).

• Like 2

So, initial impressions.....

I did nothing with settings, I just slapped it together, did some calibration stuff, and was literally "off to the races". Immersion is definitely awesome, it felt a ton easier to get up to speed and feel like I was actually in the car. Screen door effect is still present. I only used @kartermdb's setup once a while ago, I suppose I'd say its a touch better? Maybe I'm leaving some on the table with the settings? Maybe we can start a Rift thread about optimizing settings and what not. I have questions, like can I move or adjust menu positions? Things like that. Over all, pretty bad ass for sure!

13 minutes ago, pintodave said:

So, initial impressions.....

I did nothing with settings, I just slapped it together, did some calibration stuff, and was literally "off to the races". Immersion is definitely awesome, it felt a ton easier to get up to speed and feel like I was actually in the car. Screen door effect is still present. I only used @kartermdb's setup once a while ago, I suppose I'd say its a touch better? Maybe I'm leaving some on the table with the settings? Maybe we can start a Rift thread about optimizing settings and what not. I have questions, like can I move or adjust menu positions? Things like that. Over all, pretty bad ass for sure!

Try Alt+K and then move them with your mouse. I use monitors, but I'm sure it would be the same with VR.

Careful now. It's a slippery slope! 😉

• Like 3

alright. how do I screenshot this shizzz, @ USA w steetstock (trying to build some iracing cred). Top of the speed charts in practice & qualifying. VR is like cheating. 

slippery slope indeed 🤣🤣

Edit: finished 2nd first real race not terrible. led 21/40 laps, some dude was either having connection problems or it was literally a kid driving. No way anyone would drive like that under normal circumstances. 

I'd like to thank my sponsors: Champcar Forum, HJ Racing, Oculus, and most importantly Hip National Bank

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1