• Technical Advisory Committee
24 minutes ago, B-Rad said:

While I do like it (a lot), I'm not sure it should have the Corvette name. Call me a purist, but a Corvette has the engine in the front and an optional 3rd pedal.

I don't think the early corvettes had a manual option, they were like 2 speed automatics only. So from a number of pedals standpoint the C8 is the most pure! 

• Like 1

The first 2 years (out of 66 years of production) a manual wasn't offered because they didn't have one that would handle the ungodly (150hp) power. You got me there 😃.

I'd love to own a C8. It should be called something else though. Like "Corvair" maybe? Lol

I've heard that manual is coming later

for the purists:   It was always Zora's vision to move to mid engine for many decades.  If you're a purist you should be happy his vision is finally complete.

I'm excited for this.   Even if you don't like it you should be happy that it will force other companies to lower prices and improve performance to compete.

Edited by theblue
  • Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee
35 minutes ago, theblue said:

I heard the opposite, and am actually OK with it. 

40 minutes ago, B-Rad said:

I'd love to own a C8. It should be called something else though. Like "Corvair" maybe? Lol

Image may contain: car and text

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, B-Rad said:

The first 2 years (out of 66 years of production) a manual wasn't offered because they didn't have one that would handle the ungodly (150hp) power. You got me there 😃.

How about "Aerovette" 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/09/remembering-the-mid-engine-corvette-that-very-nearly-was-the-aerovette/

4 hours ago, B-Rad said:

Mid engine V8 Corvair owner here 🥰

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theblue said:

for the purists:   It was always Zora's vision to move to mid engine for many decades.  If you're a purist you should be happy his vision is finally complete.

I'm excited for this.   Even if you don't like it you should be happy that it will force other companies to lower prices and improve performance to compete.

In my opinion, the other companies have played 2nd fiddle to the Corvette for a long time now when it comes to performance per dollar. I love the fact that they would go toe to toe with the mid-engine exotics for far less $, and with a front engine layout.

I'm glad to see that Zora's plan has finally come to fruition. Other than the excellent value (some would call it a relative bargain) it's just not a Corvette to me anymore.

Perhaps they should have named it after him.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, cmi11er said:

Can you imagine the chaos in the corvette crowd if they got rid of the front engine AND pushrods?? lol we can only implode their world a little bit at a time

Think that’s bad wait until they get the electric front wheel drive…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Wasn't there already a vette with overhead cams?  Maybe the c4 zr1?

What about the original year cars?  With the 6 cylinder.

The mighty 150 hp Blue Flame six? The pinnacle of the stovebolt six from 1929?

Pushrods, nasty combustion chamber design, 4 main bearings, heavy (but forged) crank, barely managed to get out of the Stone Age by getting hydraulic lifters, bypass oil filter, bearing shells instead of babbit, etc.

At the time though it was a reasonable competitor to the Ford flathead. I built my '54 Chev truck engine with a Blue Flame spec cam (just a 261 cam), porting, and a custom long runner 4 bbl intake. Dyno tested at 112 hp and 224 ft.lbs with the stock cam and 1 bbl intake, the cam and my intake bumped that up to 156 hp and 245 ft.lbs, plus in-truck testing showed my carb and intake increased fuel economy by 10%. Idles dead smooth at 450 rpm (can almost count the fan blades) and is all done by 4000 rpm.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 1:08 PM, B-Rad said:

While I do like it (a lot), I'm not sure it should have the Corvette name. Call me a purist, but a Corvette has the engine in the front and an optional 3rd pedal.

I'm not sure why people are so hung up on a "manual" trans. That auto will run circles around a manual. That said I find the car over-designed.

Just now, TiredBirds said:

I'm not sure why people are so hung up on a "manual" trans. That auto will run circles around a manual. That said I find the car over-designed.

Nobody is debating the performance. The quickness of a dual clutch and the auto-blip like features are neat. But doing some of the things yourself is part of what makes driving fun. At least to me anyway. Pretty sure I'm in the minority though. The manual continues to die a slow death.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 9:12 PM, ablesnead said:

I wish it didn't have push rods

the LS and Hemi push-rod motors are cheaper to make and maintain and will produce much more HP than most OHC engines out there and they don't have to spin to 10k to do it. The Hellcat makes over 700 (show-room) and the Demon make over 1000 (show-room) show me a OHC engine in a production car that comes close. The LS in that corvette (once a tune is avaiable) will push 600. They can push 700+ w/ a little boost.