Jump to content

Anyone running a C3 Corvette?


Recommended Posts

Just curious,  I'm guessing the points have come down over the last few years, but I see they are only 150 points currently and offer a standard 24 gal fuel tank.  I understand the iron age suspension  and suspect potential repair cost would be a concern, but is there anyone running one?  There is a dirt cheap 81 near me that caught my interest....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a plan for one I think would have been competitive back when they were 500 points.  At 150 there are basically so many options my mind started to swim.  Of course, I also fully expect if somebody builds one that is mildly competitive it'll get a 100+ point slap just like the T-bird.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I was thinking that as well.  All that said, they are pig heavy to start with and it seems they need a lot of help to handle well.  The one I am looking at is an 81 so I should be able to use a 4spd no points but am wondering if I would get hit changing  the rear axle ratio since it looks like that year there was only a 2.80 or something ratio.  So points for rear gear, points for a rad,....  still could do some engine mods if needed since would be starting at 150....have to think about it...it would be different....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would using  pre '78 body and the the better engine choices that would offer, be better? Or is a swap inevitable anyway, so it doesn't matter what year you call the car?

I crewed for a guy that road raced one back in the eighties, just as the tube frame cars started to take over. He got rid of his just before the market for stock-framed cars bottomed out, now with the vintage racing bubble, a new tube frame car is probably cheaper than a vintage C3. A barn-find B-Production SCCA car might be a great starting point. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
29 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

Yeah, I was thinking that as well.  All that said, they are pig heavy to start with and it seems they need a lot of help to handle well.  The one I am looking at is an 81 so I should be able to use a 4spd no points but am wondering if I would get hit changing  the rear axle ratio since it looks like that year there was only a 2.80 or something ratio.  So points for rear gear, points for a rad,....  still could do some engine mods if needed since would be starting at 150....have to think about it...it would be different....

 

Should be able to use any rear gear offered in a C3 vette if I understand the rule correctly.

 

How would one do a safe cage in a fiberglass bodied car?  Try to attach the cage to the frame and forget the body basically?

 

 

I think reliability will be the bigger issue for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, cage would be to the frame like the 70's race cars I think.  It's tight getting into and out of the caged C3/3 Vette's, I'll tell you that.  The fuel tank is different sizes through the years but was 24 gal from 76 to 82 or 83 and this is an 81, so should be no issue to run the stock tank at 24 or a cell at 26.  I think that is what would make it interesting.  Making the thing handle and keep tires on, that will be the challenge...  They still used the super T-10 on the 4spd cars, so that's easy and then you get the close ratio S T-10 so that should keep it on power..  When did they lower the points on these? the post 84's are still high on points, but certainly a much more capable car to start with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is an old, not saying I would build it like this, but you can see where it would tie in I think.  I would add some extra tubing to make sure I felt it was capable enough beyond what is required even if it cost a few points...  I have some better pictures of a friends SVRA 66  somewhere but it was an old school IMSA car built in the early 70's.  This here picture is not mine, just something I found on the internet to provide reference.

DrSCage.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

Here is the actual car I am talking about. haven't talked tot he seller yet, so this discussion is a bit out in front, but maybe fun anyway...

64406204_2811876405550083_1816086990802649088_n.jpg

Soooo cool!

Build a roaring V8 with your spare points and come to Road America! Handling be damned! 

 

My wife’s uncle has one of those in a barn collecting dust... I’ve drooled over it thinking of the possibilities. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finding replacement body panels is the most difficult/expensive thing I ran across when researching them.  Lot of them out there with crunched up front and rear ends.  Not insurmountable, but something to think about.  You can make them handle pretty good with minimal effort.  GM put out a book on how to race-prep them.  Oh, and your frame should look something like this...

 

Image result for greenwood swiss cheese corvette

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This one is in Marshfield IN.  This one has a 383 and auto  in it as it sits so we would have to find a 350 to put back in it and swap to a four speed..... Now having 4 Ford style T-10's already doesn't help me on this GM lol  but then the close ratio set is ,... well more close ratio...... Jeeze, these still have the transverse Leaf spring lol  Just like a Triumph Spitfire!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been pondering the same build. While consumables would be higher (E36 currently), so would the fun factor! 

 

You should definitely do it and document here so that we can learn from all of your hardships 😉. Also, you have to promise to put side pipes on it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, karman1970 said:

Finding replacement body panels is the most difficult/expensive thing I ran across when researching them.  Lot of them out there with crunched up front and rear ends.  Not insurmountable, but something to think about.  You can make them handle pretty good with minimal effort.  GM put out a book on how to race-prep them.  Oh, and your frame should look something like this...

 

Image result for greenwood swiss cheese corvette

That is a very religious frame!!  is that an old Greenwood car?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, B-Rad said:

I've been pondering the same build. While consumables would be higher (E36 currently), so would the fun factor! 

 

You should definitely do it and document here so that we can learn from all of your hardships 😉. Also, you have to promise to put side pipes on it!

Ok, Let me get the Go fund me page up lol

Side pipes?  There can be no other way with that particular car... it just would  not look right otherwise!

Where the hell is my checkbook??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

This one is in Marshfield IN.  This one has a 383 and auto  in it as it sits so we would have to find a 350 to put back in it and swap to a four speed..... Now having 4 Ford style T-10's already doesn't help me on this GM lol  but then the close ratio set is ,... well more close ratio...... Jeeze, these still have the transverse Leaf spring lol  Just like a Triumph Spitfire!

I know up through the c5 corvette, and maybe even through today, corvettes used the transverse leaf spring.  Still works!

 

Also, leave it 383 and auto.  I bet that would be a he'll of a drivetrain in something that size!

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 67Mustang said:

minus 75pts for the auto, but how would you even contemplate points for the 383?  It should have had a 350 in it.... I mean I don't want to be cheaty.... ;)  Guess I better review and see if any years did come with a 383 lol

 

You could potentially stick a stock 350 crank back in it, but I don't know what else it would take to get that particular engine back to stock.  Mild over-bore and stock stroke would probably be allowed by tech.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

 

You could potentially stick a stock 350 crank back in it, but I don't know what else it would take to get that particular engine back to stock.  Mild over-bore and stock stroke would probably be allowed by tech.

You are probably correct.  All my past knowledge was with Fords and only a passing knowledge of  GM stuff, but you are probably correct, might have been a cheap upgrade back in the day.  Would have to see if rods and pistons changed or not.  Looking at some sales of parts, I bet I could get a good portion of the purchase price back by selling off the non used stock stuff, interior, gauges, trim etc.  It all adds up.  I did than when I started my Falcon 6 to V8 conversion.  Sold enough 6 stuff to pay for the whole car lol.  That surprised the heck out of me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 67Mustang said:

minus 75pts for the auto, but how would you even contemplate points for the 383?  It should have had a 350 in it.... I mean I don't want to be cheaty.... ;)  Guess I better review and see if any years did come with a 383 lol

Did someone say LS swap? I thought I heard someone say LS swap....

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...