NASA Team Racing Endurance Challenge

This seems sillly.  From the NASA FAQ section.  

Q: What if someone dive-bombs under me at an apex? Can I defend?

A: Uh, no. The drivers of a car overtaking and of the car being overtaken are responsible for safe passes. In a passing situation, “defending” or “protecting” a position is strictly prohibited. This means that a driver must maintain the standard racing line in the braking area. That means staying to the right for a left-hand turn, thus “leaving the door open.”

• Haha 1

No, you aren't alone based on the fellow racers I talked with.  

I will give it a chance if for no other reason than to shake my car down, work on different strategy, and get my NASA license.

• Like 1

Some of the posts on the NASA threads make it appear that Non-licensed folk aren’t welcomed in the TREC series. I’ll keep my money in CC. 

Edited by jakks
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jakks said:

Some of the posts on the NASA threads make it appear that Non-licensed folk aren’t welcomed in the TREC series. I’ll keep my money in CC. 

They want NASA peeps to have HDPE level 3 or Time Trial experience.  I'm sure that if you have some endurance races on your resume that will be good enough.  

16 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I imagine this to be laid back like lemons without the forced parade of idiocy.

Until you get to 5.2.1 in the rules....

In egregious instances, you may also be required to place the “box of shame” over your head, walk up and down the cold pitlane once while all other teams can “boo” you until you find the team you affected with your less than admiral driving and apologize for the action.

• Haha 1

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - though this might qualify as kinda immitation. 

What is an enduro to them?  I've seen other groups calling two hour races "enduros". 

How much will these cost? 

The classing structure looks like WRL so apparently no overall winner. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, skierman64 said:

This seems sillly.  From the NASA FAQ section.  

Q: What if someone dive-bombs under me at an apex? Can I defend?

A: Uh, no. The drivers of a car overtaking and of the car being overtaken are responsible for safe passes. In a passing situation, “defending” or “protecting” a position is strictly prohibited. This means that a driver must maintain the standard racing line in the braking area. That means staying to the right for a left-hand turn, thus “leaving the door open.”

this is going to work as well as me leaving all my dog food open in a room when I go to work and telling my dog, don't go in there

Edited by theblue
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Wink said:

We plan on running one in September, because it's LOCAL to us. 

If CCES gets some TX races next year we probably wont bother. 

**Hint, hint**

x1000. 

Not gonna lie, me and my EC car are interested if it isn't silly.  For 2020, if CC doesn't come through with a solid Texas-ish schedule (see 2019) there won't be any decisions to make.  I just want to race without Lemon's silliness and WRL's $$$$$$$.  This might fit the bill if CC doesn't bring it next year.

• Technical Advisory Committee

The fueling rules for this TREC are interesting to me - in that I don't particularly understand the intent:

- Must start with <18 gallons or whatever the oem tanks (note the plural, tanks) hold, whichever is less.
- Use of more than two (!!) oem tanks or fuel cells is prohibited
- Can't carry more than 34 gallons at any given time
- Swirl pot must be < 0.4 gallons (which is smaller than most OTS surge tanks are at .5 gallons) or it counts as a second "fuel cell"

My take:
Can potentially run two OEM tanks, and a swirl pot of 0.4 gallons.
Cant run a OEM tank with a swirl pot >0.4 gallons, since then the swirl pot would be a fuel cell (and the OEM tank would need to be removed.)
Can potentially run a Cell + a larger surge?
Can potentially run two cells at up to 17 gallons each?

Not being familiar with NASA rules for other classes, do these line up there? They certainly don't line up well with any of the popular endurance leagues - so car crossover may be an issue - particularly the surge tank rule.

I'm interested to see where this goes. Without any driving stint or min pit stop rules provided, it seems the winning car may be whichever can get the best fuel mileage while being on-pace, and whichever team can physically drive for the longest stints. Are there any actual races already scheduled (or held) to these rules?

• Like 1

"No more than the contents of two NASA approved* standard five (5) gallon plastic fuel containers maybe put into the vehicle during any pit stop. Note: Six (6) gallon (or other) containers, sold as “five (5)gallon” fuel containers are NOT permitted"

Interesting. So two cans, take a lap pit again and top off? Seems rather pointless to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ross2004 said:

"No more than the contents of two NASA approved* standard five (5) gallon plastic fuel containers maybe put into the vehicle during any pit stop. Note: Six (6) gallon (or other) containers, sold as “five (5)gallon” fuel containers are NOT permitted"

Interesting. So two cans, take a lap pit again and top off? Seems rather pointless to me. 

nobody would do that, you'd just have less stint lengths.   this fixed fuel capacity differences in a way.  it's a fun solution with some downsides.

8 minutes ago, theblue said:

nobody would do that, you'd just have less stint lengths.   this fixed fuel capacity differences in a way.  it's a fun solution with some downsides.

Sounds like anyone running a V8 will have a VERY uphill battle. Because it’s got PWR classing, a big power car wouldn’t even get the advantage of straight line speed over others in class. You get the same speed as a miata, and pit more frequently, and worse handling!

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, theblue said:

do they have min pit times?   probably not I'm guessing.  This means a fast car can run an hour then splash and go while the slower cars get a little time back.

But there are no faster cars because they have an AER style caveat that you get bumped up a PWR class if you exceed the performance of others in your class. So basically... bring the best handling, lowest fuel consumption car you can find... and bring a water bottle and big coolshirt cooler for your long stints. 

I like the no minimum pit stop time rule.  I also like the no maximum driver stint...

This adds a bunch of possibilities into the race strategy.

Also, no pitting under fcy.

You better know what your fuel usage is or you are going to make a pit stop you don't need!

• Like 2