Jump to content
Racer7x

$2,300 stoptech front calipers/rotors - free or points

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, enginerd said:

That must be why ABS isn't allowed in NASCAR, Indycar, F1, etc. etc.

 

F1 had both ABS and traction control for a brief time but it was too boring as then the drivers only had to steer. 

 

At 2:20 you can see the ABS failure on the Ferrari Challenge car.  We were told to back things down for the passengers but seems like people didn't really do that.

 

 

Edited by Ron_e

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, enginerd said:

That must be why ABS isn't allowed in NASCAR, Indycar, F1, etc. etc.

Let me correct myself....  old abs systems like those found on champcars....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cam Benty said:

You may want to investigate that. ABS does not lengthen stopping distances.

 

BIG 4? Studebaker, Saab, Nash and Lancia.  🤨😎

 

 

 

What happens when you engage abs on track?

 

Every car I have ever driven on track that had abs definitely increased the stopping distance once abs was engaged.

 

Maybe newer stuff is better....  but seeing what it does, it is more for the ability to maintain steering and not lockup.

 

 

In other words, having abs is NOT as easy as show up to the corner and mash the brake pedal.  If you did that, you would engage abs and that would negatively impact your braking distance.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2x ABS is a thing right, it is a critical part of the braking system

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, the5 said:

 

Chumpcar back then was more related to Demo Derby without the crashes.

 

What are you talking about??!!

I had less contact in the first few years, the racing was great, and the price was super low. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Huggy said:

2x ABS is a thing right, it is a critical part of the braking system

 

The way the rules are, does it realistically matter? How much is all new ABS equipment for an imported sports car at dealer price? $2500??? You would then have $5000 to spend on a racing ABS system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, Cam Benty said:

I was at Indianapolis and fueling beside the 4 “ 55 gallon 110 drums” . He was filling the “110” drums with the same go juice we were using.  Maybe he used the 110 at one time but it was not at Indy. Our team also uses 55 gallon drums to store fuel. It just doe not have Sunoco 110 octane written on it. I spoke with the Gentleman and had a very good conversation with him. Great guy. Maybe you should look him up at the next race you are at with them. No need to post something that is not true. At least for the race I attended. 

 

We we need to stop this kind of posts. Do your research.

 

 

Agreed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Huggy said:

2x ABS is a thing right, it is a critical part of the braking system

Are ABS components mentioned in the 2x rule?  It’s calipers and rotors.  Not “braking system”.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Huggy said:

2x ABS is a thing right, it is a critical part of the braking system

The rules don’t specifically mention ABS, so it falls under the category of “any part that isn’t OE to the car will add points”.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cam Benty said:

 

 

  If this series wants to bring back the big 4 back to the field eliminate anti lock systems and put braking modulation back in the drivers talent range. Minimal work needed and no added costs. But......we know this will not happen. To find a braking point and mash the brake pedal with no concerns with locking the wheels eliminates a vital aspect of driving talent. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why is it the series job to neuter some cars so that "the big 4" can come play?  It's up to "the big 4" to build a car that's designed to do more than just smoke the tires, turn left, or go fast for 1320'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SonsOfIrony said:

 

Why is it the series job to neuter some cars so that "the big 4" can come play?  It's up to "the big 4" to build a car that's designed to do more than just smoke the tires, turn left, or go fast for 1320'.

@SonsOfIrony I think you misunderstood @Cam Benty's post. I think he may have been talking about what he considers the ChampCar "Big 4" - the 4 types of vehicles that consistently run up front in our series - and "bringing back to the series" I think meant neutering them.

Based on Cam's previous posts, my guess is that he was referring to E30's, MR2's, Miatas, and possibly Honda's (from a few select teams.)

 

edit: perhaps I'm the one who's wrong though - idk, lol. Just another instance where internet conversations are tough to interpret sometimes.

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ that's why I asked what the big 4 was.

 

I'm thinking miata, e30, etc which have crappy abs that most teams remove anyway.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

@SonsOfIrony I think you misunderstood @Cam Benty's post. I think he may have been talking about what he considers the ChampCar "Big 4" - the 4 types of vehicles that consistently run up front in our series - and "bringing back to the series" I think meant neutering them.

Based on Cam's previous posts, my guess is that he was referring to E30's, MR2's, Miatas, and possibly Honda's (from a few select teams.)

 

edit: perhaps I'm the one who's wrong though - idk, lol. Just another instance where internet conversations are tough to interpret sometimes.

Sorry @mcoppola, I deleted a comment. Posted and immediately thought it was irrelevant to the conversation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jakks said:

Sorry @mcoppola, I deleted a comment. Posted and immediately thought it was irrelevant to the conversation. 

no worries, I understood and appreciated your input.

btw - idk if my post was very relevant to the topic either, since I'm not 100% sure what Cam meant by the big 4 either...

P.S. I actually tried to put a "like" on your post, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work, then I saw you deleted it. :)

Edited by mcoppola
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

^ that's why I asked what the big 4 was.

 

I'm thinking miata, e30, etc which have crappy abs that most teams remove anyway.

E30 ABS is the stuff of legends. The best. Takes 3 seconds off a dry lap and 10 seconds off a wet lap. 

I only removed the ABS box because I’m training for my future career in professional racing. You know the motto “practice like you play”? I can’t be relying on the ABS crutch in the e30 when my future ride won’t have it. No Red Bull / Porsche / Penske talent scout will sign me if they see that the ChampCar I run has ABS. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, enginerd said:

E30 ABS is the stuff of legends. The best. Takes 3 seconds off a dry lap and 10 seconds off a wet lap. 

I only removed the ABS box because I’m training for my future career in professional racing. You know the motto “practice like you play”? I can’t be relying on the ABS crutch in the e30 when my future ride won’t have it. No Red Bull / Porsche / Penske talent scout will sign me if they see that the ChampCar I run has ABS. 

 

Are you serious about the E30 ABS system?  I raced 2 different E30s in different series (Champ and SpecE30) and neither had functioning ABS.  If it is that great maybe I should get it working again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Originalsterm said:

Are you serious about the E30 ABS system?  I raced 2 different E30s in different series (Champ and SpecE30) and neither had functioning ABS.  If it is that great maybe I should get it working again...

I was as serious about the e30 ABS as I was about my future in professional racing ;)

 

 

 

 

(actually, ABS wasn’t working when I bought the car, and I didn’t bother fixing it)

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, enginerd said:

E30 ABS is the stuff of legends. The best. Takes 3 seconds off a dry lap and 10 seconds off a wet lap. 

I only removed the ABS box because I’m training for my future career in professional racing. You know the motto “practice like you play”? I can’t be relying on the ABS crutch in the e30 when my future ride won’t have it. No Red Bull / Porsche / Penske talent scout will sign me if they see that the ChampCar I run has ABS. 

 

Nice to see you guys so revved about making things equal.  Now that you covered not using ABS why don't you try running the smaller stock E30 gas tank as well so you can run fuel conserving stints too, that will really equal things up.  :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

 

Nice to see you guys so revved about making things equal.  Now that you covered not using ABS why don't you try running the smaller stock E30 gas tank as well so you can run fuel conserving stints too, that will really equal things up.  :o

 

Or drop a 5.0 into that bimmer to suck up all the fuel! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

Nice to see you guys so revved about making things equal.  Now that you covered not using ABS why don't you try running the smaller stock E30 gas tank as well so you can run fuel conserving stints too, that will really equal things up.  :o

I’ll take the smaller fuel tank if I can also have a 5.0 engine and 200 more points to play with. For equality of course. 

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I’ll take the smaller fuel tank if I can also have a 5.0 engine and 200 more points to play with. For equality of course. 

 

Wasn't it you that posted the third gear power slide?  I think you have low enough lbs/hp already.  Run that small tank and let's race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red0 said:

 

Or drop a 5.0 into that bimmer to suck up all the fuel! 

 

For sure, there are some low hp two barrel carb 5.0's in the early Mustangs.  1982 V8 157 hp.  Have at it.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh good!

 

I was hoping we could turn this into a fuel thread.

 

Well done.

 

Golf clap....

 

 

Well done.

 

Passive aggressiveness usually works to change people's perception of an uncommon position.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mcoppola said:

@SonsOfIrony I think you misunderstood @Cam Benty's post. I think he may have been talking about what he considers the ChampCar "Big 4" - the 4 types of vehicles that consistently run up front in our series - and "bringing back to the series" I think meant neutering them.

Based on Cam's previous posts, my guess is that he was referring to E30's, MR2's, Miatas, and possibly Honda's (from a few select teams.)

 

edit: perhaps I'm the one who's wrong though - idk, lol. Just another instance where internet conversations are tough to interpret sometimes.

 

Maybe, maybe not.

 

Half my post should be in green Font, but it's a pain to do on my phone.

 

I'll leave it up to y'all which half lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...