hood pins

tneker

Those are terrible in my opinion.  I took a set of these off after having the lynch pins not want to stay clipped tightly.  Too weak.

On a related note, why does everyone always take the safety latch off of their hood?  Seen a lot of hoods over the roof when pins were missed, seems like cheap insurance to leave the safety latch on and maybe save a windshield/hood if it happens.  Won't always work, but most of the time it will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ray Franck said:

In the last two years  whenever a hood has flown up during race conditions it has had those type pins , might have been knockoff brand but I tell everyone I see to tape them .. 

51 minutes ago, Burningham said:

Those are terrible in my opinion.  I took a set of these off after having the lynch pins not want to stay clipped tightly.  Too weak.

On a related note, why does everyone always take the safety latch off of their hood?  Seen a lot of hoods over the roof when pins were missed, seems like cheap insurance to leave the safety latch on and maybe save a windshield/hood if it happens.  Won't always work, but most of the time it will.

Well I am glad I asked, they are off the list.

• Technical Advisory Committee

Just as important in choice of hood pin is the structure you use to mount the pin.  Doesn't matter how good the latch pins are at staying in place if the whole thing (still attached to the hood) pulls out of wherever you bolted it to.   These are all designed to have a nut/washer on either side of a panel you drill a hole through.  Many core supports (very easy/common spot to put pins) are very thin metal that will fatigue eventually.  Like going into turn 5 at Road America... which leads to an airborn hood....   best to add bigger washers, spreader plates, find spots with thicker metal, add other support, or go off of a vertical section and bolt angle iron on, etc.  

TLDR: make sure you beef up the structure you bolt these to, otherwise you can still lose the hood.

• Like 3

We make something like this kit, the last set consisted of these clips, fishing leader and some sawed off bolts with a hole drilled through. Why? because it works and we can do it with stuff laying around rather then order/wait. KISS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Car-Flush-Hood-Mount-Bonnet-Latch-Catch-Pin-Locking-Kit-Silver-Red/132731961415?hash=item1ee7710047:g:zEkAAOSwejdbZvHv&vxp=mtr

11 hours ago, Burningham said:

why does everyone

Because hacked up car?

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

I use those pins.  They have worked fine for me.

I did reinforce the core support where they attach.  Also, the E30 hood is backwards, so if they do fail, no harm done really but some more aero-drag

We even had problems with those cheap hood pins on a rear opening hood.  Endurance racing finds a way to open them.  We resorted to a zip tie holding the pin in place and keeping the cutters handy. 

These days I have aerocatch, but between the install hassles, cost, and the excitement has since faded...shoulda just left it all stock. 

• Like 2