Recharge Pit Fire Extinguisher

skierman64

My pit fire extinguisher is a rechargeable but the gauge is showing low, but I've checked around to find that recharging the extinguisher costs more than buying a new one.  Mine is a Kidde model 460.  

Has anyone found a place to recharge the extinguisher for less than $60 (the price of a new one).  

• Technical Advisory Committee
52 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

My pit fire extinguisher is a rechargeable but the gauge is showing low, but I've checked around to find that recharging the extinguisher costs more than buying a new one.  Mine is a Kidde model 460.  

Has anyone found a place to recharge the extinguisher for less than $60 (the price of a new one).  

Have you contacted your local fire department? Our fire department does it for $0 upfront. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 1

Does that $60 include hydro testing the cylinder (has to be done every 5 years I believe)? I just had one done this spring, it was out of date so hydro & refill was right around $60. I simple refill was in the $25-30 range. 

1 hour ago, ross2004 said:

Does that $60 include hydro testing the cylinder (has to be done every 5 years I believe)? I just had one done this spring, it was out of date so hydro & refill was right around $60. I simple refill was in the $25-30 range. 

I believe it included a re-certification.  I don't know much about it except that it needs recharged.  

What place quoted you $25-30?