takjak2

Spec Miata Penske Shocks 2X Value

Miatas could run Penskes before.  Like the Bilsteins, Miatas pay points for that.  This just ensures an NA running Penskes and an NB running Penskes pay the same cost.  Penske does not make an "NA" shock and an "NB" shock.  They just make a Miata shock package, that's based on the interchangeable NB part.

Edited by pjt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theblue said:

so based on this ruling can we assume BMWs can run any other BMW top hat that provides better alignment specs?

You can as part of a 10 ppc coilover kit. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, enginerd said:

You can [use BMW top hat from another BMW] as part of a 10 ppc coilover kit. 

This may not be true.  I'm not saying it's not, but you should check with tech.  Again -- The information shared strictly covers NB top-hats on an NA Miata.  The text provided by tech is explicit with respect to this.

Edited by pjt

Don't BMWs get M3 front bumpers for free? 

"Rule 4.7.6. Replacement of OEM Parts / Tech interpretation and enforcement of BMW 3-Series bumper covers is that E30’s cannot use E36 covers. E36’s may use aftermarket E36 M3 replacement cover but must remove lower “lip” or pay 10 points as a splitter."

Can I make a slightly OT suggestion?

Make the policy to not have answers in email from official staff.

The policy should be to write up a knowledge base article and then put a link to it in the email answer.

Back to your regularly scheduled arguments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, erich said:

Can I make a slightly OT suggestion?

Make the policy to not have answers in email from official staff.

The policy should be to write up a knowledge base article and then put a link to it in the email answer.

Back to your regularly scheduled arguments.

We don't use email anymore. 
Only a notification that you got a reply is sent from the system.

1 hour ago, Bill Strong said:

We don't use email anymore. 
Only a notification that you got a reply is sent from the system.

If a team has several/half dozen e-mails providing clarifications and permissions should they all be resubmitted for re-approval through the TechDesk?

Edit: actually now that I think of it I probably have closer to a dozen clarifications and permissions.  

Edited by Ron_e

54 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

If a team has several/half dozen e-mails providing clarifications and permissions should they all be resubmitted for re-approval through the TechDesk?

Edit: actually now that I think of it I probably have closer to a dozen clarifications and permissions.  

I would.

1 hour ago, SonsOfIrony said:

I would.

Right, but the question is that going to be required or will the various old exceptions be grandfathered as people hang on to e-mails from 2009 to 2019 to keep secret handshake advantages?

2 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Right, but the question is that going to be required or will the various old exceptions be grandfathered as people hang on to e-mails from 2009 to 2019 to keep secret handshake advantages?

I think by doing it this new way, champcar is trying to eliminate secret handshakes.  If a team makes the podium, expect to get protested and the protest to get upheld without the new paperwork!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I think by doing it this new way, champcar is trying to eliminate secret handshakes.  If a team makes the podium, expect to get protested and the protest to get upheld without the new paperwork!

So you figure if say a Boxster made the podium, had adjustable A arms, and an e-mail saying it was acceptable, that they would be stripped of the podium?

Just saying that if it is a requirement to have all exceptions approved by the TechDesk - well that kind of sounds like a rule that should be put in the rule book as opposed to a guideline that some may or may not know about or claim ignorance.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Yep.  That is the point of the new system.

Ignorance never let anybody get away with a crime...

Agree.  Thats how it should work.  I believe this is the intention of the BOD. The test will come at impound some day.    

14 hours ago, Ron_e said:

@National Tech @Bill Strong I have maybe a dozen or so as well.  If we need to resubmit can we get them all re-answered before Atlanta?  Seems like a really big effort and if not needed I'd rather not waste tech's time.  I'm sure they are dealing with alot of questions now.

Along the same lines of "what's included in the Spec Miata Penske package" WRT to the points, am I misinterpreting the new rule, BCCR 2020v2.0.0 4.3.2 from yesterday?   If Non-OE springs are now 5 per corner, and adjustable perches-ride height devices 10/corner, did a Penske coilover SM package just become 60 points or is that superseded elsewhere by the "SM package allowed" verbiage from before?    I can write up a note to the tech but thought I'd check consensus here first if I'm missing something obvious.     Thanks!

8 hours ago, Kevin B said:

Along the same lines of "what's included in the Spec Miata Penske package" WRT to the points, am I misinterpreting the new rule, BCCR 2020v2.0.0 4.3.2 from yesterday?   If Non-OE springs are now 5 per corner, and adjustable perches-ride height devices 10/corner, did a Penske coilover SM package just become 60 points or is that superseded elsewhere by the "SM package allowed" verbiage from before?    I can write up a note to the tech but thought I'd check consensus here first if I'm missing something obvious.     Thanks!

Spring is included with the coilover charge. we didn't think it was right for coilovers including the spring to be 10 and just the spring to be 10.  This is a compromise.  

Edited by Jer

Thank you Jer.   Yep, I was missing something obvious.   Now that I've slowed down, let my coffee sink in this AM and re-read, I see that the answer to my question is written clearly within the Adjustable Spring Perch bullet point.   Please disregard my jump to the wrong conclusion.   Happy Friday!

The whole point of the Tech Desk is to not have any emails, text messages, or phone call agreements.  If you have an email then you need to resubmit it through the Tech Desk.  We have a team working these and we are trying to get everything out there in the Knowledge Base, in ONE spot where it can be referenced.  If it's not been in the Tech Desk where Tech, CEO, BOD and TAC can view, then nothing has been approved. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I thought several years ago Mike stated that these written exceptions were only going to be honored from one year from the date they were written (presumably becasue they would be incorporated into the next version of the rules). So perhaps anything older than that doesn't really need to go through the tech desk (unless those old emails were still being accepted in tech?)

5 hours ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

The whole point of the Tech Desk is to not have any emails, text messages, or phone call agreements.  If you have an email then you need to resubmit it through the Tech Desk.  We have a team working these and we are trying to get everything out there in the Knowledge Base, in ONE spot where it can be referenced.  If it's not been in the Tech Desk where Tech, CEO, BOD and TAC can view, then nothing has been approved. 

That is funny, three guys on the forum say it is a rule but it is not in the rule book.  The site says effective Jan 1, 2020.  Should be an interesting year for impound.

@ABR-Glen  I believe the "one year rule" was an exception basis that was to be specifically entered in the logbook with date approved and date expired.  In contrast the e-mails did not have an expiry date.  The "one year rule" was for things that were to be changed and not related to safety - like say you showed up with non-adjustable Penske's and while they did follow the rules they may not be deemed to be within the spirit of the series.

12 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

That is funny, three guys on the forum say it is a rule but it is not in the rule book.  The site says effective Jan 1, 2020.  Should be an interesting year for impound.

@ABR-Glen  I believe the "one year rule" was an exception basis that was to be specifically entered in the logbook with date approved and date expired.  In contrast the e-mails did not have an expiry date.  The "one year rule" was for things that were to be changed and not related to safety - like say you showed up with non-adjustable Penske's and while they did follow the rules they may not be deemed to be within the spirit of the series.

Nobody said it's a rule.  A rule implies something that a competitor needs to follow. 

This is a management decision to stop the drama and closed door deals.

It is a positive direction.

If you are concerned about your special interpretations going away.....  well, sorry.

Just resubmit.  The process is new, but good results are already being churned out of this system.

I have zero concerns with any of my special exceptions as the west has always taken points for things that should have points.  I just submitted the first bunch of items, I'm actually looking forward to seeing things like points for swapping from mechanical clutch to electric fan being assigned to all areas of the country.  No more eastern, "Well we needed it so it is free" exceptions.

Hmmm, I wonder if the E30 had mechanical or electric fan?

Edited by Ron_e

24 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Hmmm, I wonder if the E30 had mechanical or electric fan?

They had both. But the smart answer is just to remove them and run no fan. 

• Like 3