Jump to content
takjak2

Spec Miata Penske Shocks 2X Value

Recommended Posts

Ray I deleted my past post as it is not the correct path now with the knowledge board and I will ask with that process. 

 

Thanks for all your efforts in the tech side of the world.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 3:46 PM, Snorman said:

  Also, AFAIK, Ram's horn manifolds never came on a 3rd Gen F-body. 

Speaking of 3rd gen combos, a 350 with an ST-10 was never available in a 3rd gen F-body (305 with 4 speed or T-5; 350 with auto only), so it's either a transmission swap for 25 points or an engine swap for a minimum 50 points.

 

If not, the Mustang guys are going to push for free toploaders for their Fox bodies.

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KoneKillah said:

The header rule seems pretty damn clear. 25pts. 

 

If that's not the case submit a question to the knowledge base for clarification. AFAIK the knowledge base is the bible now. 

 

What worries me is the ambiguity of something like the AL flywheel. I recently read through the rules and it was pretty clear to me that clutch stuff was open and free. If it's not, why not add it to the list of points on the tech inspection form?

 

Has anyone submitted a clarification on the flywheels yet? I don't want to submit a redundant one as they have their work cut out for them. 

 

It would be helpful to see current pending submissions so they don't get slammed with 25 of the same question. 

 

Yes, I asked about an aluminum flywheel on Jan 9 and the reply Jan 10 was "Not allowed".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

 

Yes, I asked about an aluminum flywheel on Jan 9 and the reply Jan 10 was "Not allowed".

 

Great. That saves me about 300 bucks. Now, lets all drill holes in our bell housing so tech can stick a magnet in there. 

 

Edit after looking for clarification on the knowledgebase:

 

I don't see it on the knowledgebase, is this still in process or am I looking in the wrong place?

Edited by KoneKillah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KoneKillah said:

 I recently read through the rules and it was pretty clear to me that clutch stuff was open and free. If it's not, why not add it to the list of points on the tech inspection form?

 

Where do you find clutches as free?  I don't remember that rule, and the "find" option doesn't list "clutch" anywhere in the BCCR.  Therefore it should be stock, or receive an assigned value from tech.  Non-OE better not be zero.

 

Granted it will be moderately difficult to enforce, which is a good argument to make it free for everyone.  I'd be careful with that logic though, there are a lot of performance mods that are difficult to check.  In this case, I think requiring an inspection hole (like you mentioned elsewhere) is a better method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Grufton said:

 

Where do you find clutches as free?  I don't remember that rule, and the "find" option doesn't list "clutch" anywhere in the BCCR.  Therefore it should be stock, or receive an assigned value from tech.  Non-OE better not be zero.

 

Granted it will be moderately difficult to enforce, which is a good argument to make it free for everyone.  I'd be careful with that logic though, there are a lot of performance mods that are difficult to check.  In this case, I think requiring an inspection hole (like you mentioned elsewhere) is a better method.

 

Well that's the problem, I didn't find it! So is the assumption in this series that if it's not explicitly mentioned it should be OEM? If so, why not add it to the fixed points value list? (EDIT: I re read though the rules and this is pretty much what it says. You have to claim any non OEM parts and "nothing is free". This would also line up with the spirit of the series being low cost and ameteur friendly. But good luck checking all those flywheels! I'm going to play it safe here and save my money.) I'm waiting to see it in the knowledgebase. I'm assuming the "Later" said by Frank is referring to that ruling still being in process.

 

And my comment on an inspection hole in the bell housing was a half joke as that could compromise the bell housing and cause cracking and what have you. 

 

IMHO whatever the ruling ends up being for clutches/flywheels I don't really care. Hardly if any benefit at all. I would just like to know before I start ordering parts this season!

Edited by KoneKillah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Grufton said:

 

Where do you find clutches as free?  I don't remember that rule, and the "find" option doesn't list "clutch" anywhere in the BCCR.  Therefore it should be stock, or receive an assigned value from tech.  Non-OE better not be zero.

 

Granted it will be moderately difficult to enforce, which is a good argument to make it free for everyone.  I'd be careful with that logic though, there are a lot of performance mods that are difficult to check.  In this case, I think requiring an inspection hole (like you mentioned elsewhere) is a better method.

 

Factory style clutches have been free for quite a while.  I think driver comfort was sighted as the reason, since at stock power level chancing disc material and pressure plate clamp load doesn't have any real performance benefit.

 

This doesn't allow small diameter or multi disc clutches, but I'm not sure it would matter if it did.  There's so little of any performance gain at near factory power levels that putting rules in against it is more of a honey trap than anything.  Nobody is doing drag launches at 2X factory go, so if you want to piss money into the wind, go for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 4:50 PM, mender said:

Ron and I are here because we're serious racers. We have legitimate concerns that as past and likely future participants in races that cost us a lot of money to do we consider worth our time sorting out before we pay entry fees and hook up the trailer. 

 

Just a reminder, the two people you've quoted and slighted would make up 10% of the field in the average Champcar west coast race - if we decide it's worth going to. There is a very attractive alternative out here and certain attitudes make that alternative look even better. 

Mender show us how serious a racer you are and come and run a race. We miss having face to face time with you.  What has been 4 years since you have run with us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, National Tech said:

Mender show us how serious a racer you are and come and run a race. We miss having face to face time with you.  What has been 4 years since you have run with us?

Yup, 4 years. Last one with Chumpcar was at Castrol in 2016. Had plans for Sonoma this year but events transpired against it. Maybe next year, have to get there someday. :)

 

At the moment I'm planning on Utah, will have to see whether we're under 500 points or in EC. Guess we'll see once some pertinent questions get answered. ;)

Edited by mender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SonsOfIrony said:

 

I heard one of the MR2 teams were retrofitting a set of SM Penske's to fit their minivan swapped SW MR2.

 

There, now you're involved.

Funny thing is when I saw that the miatas got fricken free penskes I did look into that, but I do not think it will work.  Maybe someday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Funny thing is when I saw that the miatas got fricken free penskes I did look into that, but I do not think it will work.  Maybe someday.

 

You're not the only one.  Sadly, I crashed the car they might have worked with before it got beyond a pipe dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 11:27 AM, cowboys647 said:

If this camaro is not fast enough 

 


That is without a doubt the fastest car I've ever raced against in champcar, and I raced against it at _every_ race I entered this season. I think he set a track record at all of them, as well?

Edited by Slugworks Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:


That is without a doubt the fastest car I've ever raced against in champcar, and I raced against it at _every_ race I entered this season. I think he set a track record at all of them, as well?

 

It was close, but I'd say our Camaro was faster at Road Atlanta (until we broke) last year, but then again ours was just shy of 900 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Funny thing is when I saw that the miatas got fricken free penskes I did look into that, but I do not think it will work.  Maybe someday.

They didn't get free penskes.  They are coilovers that fit into the 2x rule, 40 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Penskes.....ahhhhh.  Maybe by the end of the year for my Miata...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 12:33 PM, Ron_e said:

 

Yes, I asked about an aluminum flywheel on Jan 9 and the reply Jan 10 was "Not allowed".

What about steel? What if you have a car with stupid dual mass junk?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

What about steel? What if you have a car with stupid dual mass junk?

I asked the tech ticket thingy on 1/10 I'll try post an answer here when I get it, Bill might think it's a competitive advantage("secret suace") and not post it to the knowledge base like the aluminum flywheel answer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, morganf said:

I asked the tech ticket thingy on 1/10 I'll try post an answer here when I get it, Bill might think it's a competitive advantage("secret suace") and not post it to the knowledge base like the aluminum flywheel answer.

Seems like this is a perfect part to be added to the FPV list. X points for AL flywheel, Y points for steel flywheel, replace dual mass for free within Z% change from OEM.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

Seems like this is a perfect part to be added to the FPV list. X points for AL flywheel, Y points for steel flywheel, replace dual mass for free within Z% change from OEM.

It blows my mind that rule changes and clarifications from 6/7/2019 weren't included in the 2020 rule book.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mindspin311 said:

What about steel? What if you have a car with stupid dual mass junk?

We didn’t pick your car.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, enginerd said:

We didn’t pick your car.

But if the rules change after you built it, so might the series you pick to run in.

Edited by morganf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...