Chris M

VIR 24 Sunday AM crash #300 8-10am stint

6 hours ago, Richard said:

You can make the case that the BMW was past you before the Yellow but at best he was along side you. The rules still clearly state that you must slow down for a Yellow flag and the BMW had no intention of doing so despite passing two cars that were just involved in the incident. He knew something wasn't right and simply kept going flat out. Poor driving in my opinion. 

I was more referring to the cars they passed after the incident, not them passing me as we notice it and drive by. I'm not rewatching video at work right now but in my recollection everyone in the vicinity seemed to check up at a reasonable rate as soon as they notice the incident (off throttle and lightly moving to the brakes/ready to evade with steering) can't just slam brakes in a pack, guarantee somebody wont notice the incident as fast as everyone else checking up.

So I had to re-watch the video.

First, I’m glad your driver is OK.

Second, there is so much “WTF is that driver thinking”. Did the passing driver really think there was room to the left?

I think it really boils down to the driver, not just being an EC car. Our car is notably faster on the back stretch of VIR. On multiple occasions I've been closing in on the cars ahead and there wasn't much room without forcing the issue. There's this thing you can magically do to the gas pedal called "lifting" and just wait for the pack to arrange itself so you can pass more safely.

• Like 9

And the series they come from think their drivers are better equipped than ChampCar 😕.   As the Brits say I think that team should be put on  "garden duty"  and  would make them pay for the damage to the track.    This same car also made  a pass on me on the left in the grass  at this same spot on the track when no cars were  on the right side of the track.  Sometimes you wonder how the brain works.  

Edited by DEE DEE
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, euronate said:

It's tough to see because we were pretty far behind, but here is the footage from the Hugh Jass Miata: 

Can you repost? Video not working.

4 hours ago, 67Mustang said:

Looking at fast laps it looks like the Connolly car was maybe 7-8 sec a lap faster than the camera car. Assuming I gathered the correct car numbers etc. surely with that big gaggle of cars around and behind there would be some closer footage of the action. Am I correct in understanding that CC puts a camera in a few select cars for their footage? But most teams probably use their own camera in addition? I’d be very tempted to also instal a rear facing camera as well. 

This may be double edged sword type of question, but how does CC determine a max # of cars allowed to run on a given track? Clearly bigger tracks can handle more cars but...certainly there is some thought to it with Indy having over 100 and Gingerman limited to 60. I’m sure track rental cost comes into play there as well.  That said after sitting on the side and observing a bit seems like some some teams can’t seem to stay clean while others are never in contact. That tells you its very possible to stay clean and some need to work on it. Stuff happens but still we have input to determine how much and how often.

The rule is 37 or 37.5 cars per mile of track.   Might be in the operating guide vs. the BCCR.  That should allow plenty of racing room while still having "racing".  No need for a change IMHO.  

11 hours ago, Chris M said:

Perhaps our driver should have moved right but I imagine there was indeed traffic to the right that he was trying to avoid. 

Nope.  Your driver and any driver should never move out of the racing lane to "get out of the way" of a faster car.  That leads to unpredicitability and more carnage.  Hold your line and be predictable, even if slow.  Faster cars will find their way around you.  

Edited by Jer
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Racer7x said:

30 cars per mile. I think VIR is around 3.75 miles. There had been 110 cars registered the last two years and 80 this year...

Daytona has had 120+ cars the last 4-5 years

off a bit, it's 37 per mile.  but close enough and definitely not that many cars on track at VIR.  

1 minute ago, Jer said:

Nope.  Your driver and any driver should never move out of the racing lane to "gewt out of the way" of a faster car.  That leads to unpredicitability and more carnage.  Hold your line and be predictable, even if slow.  Faster cars will find their way around you.  

This. It's the passing cars job to pass safely.

• Like 1

Connolly's team and cars, and Matt himself, have now had many incidents of a beligerant lack of respect for the rules and on-track etiquette.

This team needs to be dealt with immediately. I'll be looking at the entry list of every race I enter for his team, to make sure to either not attend that race or tell my drivers specifically which car to avoid.

Edited by Slugworks Paul
  • Like 8

23 minutes ago, RandomTask said:

Can you repost? Video not working.

Its probably blocked by your work, it was for me haha. Check on your phone!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cmi11er said:

Its probably blocked by your work, it was for me haha. Check on your phone!

But my work screens are big. . . now I have to look at this tiny screen like a peasant!

Thanks!

• Haha 2

^^ That worked. Thanks!

Yeah, that's some insanely stupid and dangerous driving on the BMW's part. They literally just pitted the driver in front because they couldn't pass.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Connolly's team and cars, and Matt himself, have now had many incidents of a beligerant lack of respect for the rules and on-track etiquette.

This team needs to be dealt with immediately. I'll be looking at the entry list of every race I enter for his team, to make sure to either not attend that race or tell my drivers specifically which car to avoid.

Paul, after talking with you at Indy, and seeing the damage to your car - and especially seeing the Connolly car from before and after the event - I was waiting for you to chime in.

For many of us racing in ChampCar, 1 of the main reasons we are here is because of the affordability this series provides us.

Having said that, an accident that would scrap our car would be devastating to have to start all over again.

Teams such as Connolly's or Tuttle's, that obviously have bigger budgets than most of us, and have often times shown blatant disrespect for their competitors - need to be reprimanded or banned, IMHO.

Yes, they enter many races, but if they total low budget teams' cars every time they race, then the series is also losing revenue - revenue that is coming from teams who the series was intentionally meant for.

Paul's post says it all. If teams are looking at who's entered, and avoiding those races, it's bad for the series as a whole. Part of the reason we enter the lesser attended races is because we are not the most experienced team out there, and we could ill afford to start all over again.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Jer said:

Hold your line and be predictable, even if slow.  Faster cars will find their way around you.  

Or wreck you trying...

The 300 car did this and was still totaled- I have to agree that teams that are consistently taking out competitors at every race should be dealt with by management.

• Like 20
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

No clue but just tossing it out there

Perhaps those rental cars are making crash deposit $$?

I believe Connelly offers full race insurance.   Renters that buy it have not a care in the world.   Meanwhile the other team/car is SOL. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Snake said:

I believe Connelly offers full race insurance.   Renters that buy it have not a care in the world.   Meanwhile the other team/car is SOL. 

That would seem to create  somewhat of an unsatisfactory situation I would think.  That said, it would become a very slippery slope for the series to even attempt to assign blame and allow or support one team having to pay another for a wreck.  Especially since the cars are not of an equal value.  The monetary responsibility challenge has some ramifications and honestly may still not solve that problem. 

Keeping a driver from racing (race suspension or banning) should in theory help as would banning  an owner when their rental car is repeatedly  at fault (no matter the rental driver)... It would force the owner ideally to be a bit more careful with the drivers he selects and require them to be more clean since he stands to lose by not being able to field a team for that timeframe.

There is always fisticuffs, but that is usually always a bad option as well....

2 hours ago, mcoppola said:

For many of us racing in ChampCar, 1 of the main reasons we are here is because of the affordability this series provides us.

Having said that, an accident that would scrap our car would be devastating to have to start all over again.

If that happened to my car, I'd be done as a car owner.  I don't have the ability, energy or cash to build a new car.  I'd have to just race other people's cars.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slugworks Paul said:

We race a lot against them and at every race I tell my guys the Connolly team is here and to avoid them like the plague.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jer said:

If that happened to my car, I'd be done as a car owner.  I don't have the ability, energy or cash to build a new car.  I'd have to just race other people's cars.  

I hear ya.  Makes me feel lucky that a LeMons team who had been racing an Audi 90 like ours quit racing and just gave us their car.  It doesn't run and the cage needs repaired, but it's almost race ready and we can swap parts over to it in order to soldier on.  Without that I'm not sure how we'd handle a total car loss.

• Like 2

i think this is the first incident video i've watched that actually pissed me off. the only way you should get turned so hard there is if you're driving erratically (like a total asshat) or have a mechanical failure. if i was in the 300 i'd be livid and ready for a bench clearing line brawl. 🏒

i dont know what's in the BCCR but it wouldn't make me sad to hear team connolly's next race isnt until sometime in 2020. 

• Like 8