Jump to content

New cheap budget K-Miata swap kit!


turbogrill
 Share

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Cost will be $2000, engine can be had for a few hundreds. They mention it in the article.

 

I'm fairly certain they said $2000 less than their other swap.. emphasis theirs:

 

The goal was to create a K swap that could be completed by the customer for $2000 less than a K24A2 swap and checked all of our performance boxes.

 

 

Availability and Pricing

Introductory pricing on the K24Z3 swap kit is $4295.00 and includes the following items:

(list follows)

 

 

Edited by cmi11er
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, cmi11er said:

 

I'm fairly certain they said $2000 less than their other swap.. emphasis theirs:

 

The goal was to create a K swap that could be completed by the customer for $2000 less than a K24A2 swap and checked all of our performance boxes.

 

 

Availability and Pricing

Introductory pricing on the K24Z3 swap kit is $4295.00 and includes the following items:

(list follows)

 

 

 

oh! Thank you for the correction.

 

Then the other swap is really expensive :)

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I wonder if someone will petition for a 2021 swap cost cap of $4500....

 

No need.  I was told by Jay at the last Harris Hill race that they were not enforcing the $1500 limit because "nobody is swapping under $1500 and they're probably raising that limit in 2020 anyway".

 

This was disappointing, as there were a few cars that spent more than $1500.  I asked that the costs be checked/enforced and was told "sorry, we're not doing that".

 

So effectively the limit is already "wide open" from what I can tell.

  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My swap was well under 1500.  Hi think it was under 1k.

 

300$ engine.  200$ trans.  100$ clutch.  Some belts and pulleys.  105$ ecu tune.

 

Odds and ends like clutch hydraulic line and oil cooler hoses made up the rest.

 

Oh, 200$ driveshaft.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

My swap was well under 1500.  Hi think it was under 1k.

 

300$ engine.  200$ trans.  100$ clutch.  Some belts and pulleys.  105$ ecu tune.

 

Odds and ends like clutch hydraulic line and oil cooler hoses made up the rest.

 

Oh, 200$ driveshaft.

 

How dare you be low-budget and cost effective!  This is Champcar, not Cheapcar.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

My swap was well under 1500.  Hi think it was under 1k.

 

300$ engine.  200$ trans.  100$ clutch.  Some belts and pulleys.  105$ ecu tune.

 

Odds and ends like clutch hydraulic line and oil cooler hoses made up the rest.

 

Oh, 200$ driveshaft.

 

I agree that many are under $1500 because most teams try to follow the rules.  @Jer is another good example of a swap under the $1500 rule.  Again, I was surprised and disappointed to be told that Tech didn't care about swap values.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, QuaTTro said:

 

I agree that many are under $1500 because most teams try to follow the rules.  @Jer is another good example of a swap under the $1500 rule.  Again, I was surprised and disappointed to be told that Tech didn't care about swap values.

What is the listed HP?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, QuaTTro said:

 

I agree that many are under $1500 because most teams try to follow the rules.  @Jer is another good example of a swap under the $1500 rule.  Again, I was surprised and disappointed to be told that Tech didn't care about swap values.

 

It sure would be nice if there were a list of rules that tech doesn't follow. 

 

49 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

How can you do a swap under $1500 if you need any fabbing done?

 

Just an after market oil pan is like $500 - $1000....

 

 

We made our own, and not out of goofy "repurposed" materials.  I think maybe $20 in materials?  All is claimed correctly.  This is why when the TBird was pushed up 100 points AND a homemade oil pan and other things were going to be no longer materials points I was taking a heavy hit on points everywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Heavy hit because you refuse to use the available repurposed material clause?

 

No because we correctly claim stuff.  When the first set of rules came out in 2018 if it was in section 4 then you had to use the assigned points whether it was homemade from purchased/reclaimed materials or retailed as per the deep sump oil pan, they all became 25 points.  I think ours is 2 points right now from purchased steel added to the car.  That was also when my power steering cooler was 20 points whether "repurposed" heater core or purchased.  I have the e-mails if you would like to see. Not sure whether it was the west tax or the TBird tax.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, turbogrill said:

How can you do a swap under $1500 if you need any fabbing done?

 

Just an after market oil pan is like $500 - $1000....

 

Pick am engine that doesn't need it, or do it yourself!

3 hours ago, QuaTTro said:

 

Not to mention the $999 wiring harness and high performance racing header required to make the swap work

 

https://www.ecotecmiata.ca/product-page/ecotecmiata-wiring-harness

 

 

Didn't need either

...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, QuaTTro said:

 

Not to mention the $999 wiring harness and high performance racing header required to make the swap work

 

https://www.ecotecmiata.ca/product-page/ecotecmiata-wiring-harness

 

 

Don't "need" either, that is for the tuner crowd that doesn't want to do any work.  Outside of the cost of the kit and the donor motor, this swap is less than $1500 by quite a bit.  Well, at least before all the Tarrif BS....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That hydraulic throw out bearing could be used on the NA rx7 gearboxes too.

 

Just saying.

 

Looks cool.  Nice pwr.  That's power to wallet ratio.

 

Saw that, thought about it and couldn’t come up with a compelling reason why it would be better. The one change I always make is to install M8 studs on the bell housing to hold the slave cylinder since the stock screws seem to thread into butter…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...