turbogrill

New cheap budget K-Miata swap kit!

15 hours ago, QuaTTro said:

Not sure I follow your question.  My comment doesn't have anything to do with HP

The number goes to $2500 next year.  It should be policed but remember once approved, it's always approved.  I think this has been raised in regard to buying a harness vs. making your own.  The end result either way is a car that works, correct?  I'm not tech, always ask them.  

I'm curious about the HP because that will determine if this swap work in Champcar on the calculator.  

Edited by Jer
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jer said:

I'm curious about the HP

Wikipedia (a reliable source) lists the K24Z3 at :

201 hp (150 kW) @ 7000 RPM 172 lb⋅ft (233 N⋅m) @ 4300 RPM

with a 7100 rpm redline, and VTEC at 5100 rpm

36 minutes ago, cmi11er said:

It will take some e30 style “weight massaging” by tech/CEO to get that into a non-EC miata!

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, enginerd said:

It will take some e30 style “weight massaging” by the BoD to get that into a non-EC miata!

Don't go threatening them with a good time...

41 minutes ago, cmi11er said:

LOL on Wiki. 

That will be with a bunch of laps then.  Like 90.  LOL

Edited by Jer

A couple example swaps in the calculator.. even the NB struggles

Make: Mazda
Model: Miata
Year: 1999
VPi: 350
Car Weight: 2153
Original HP: 140
New HP: 201
Points Added to VPi: 750
--->NEW VPI: 1100

Make: Mazda
Model: Miata
Year: 1990
VPi: 300
Car Weight: 2064
Original HP: 116
New HP: 201
Points Added to VPi: 1184
--->NEW VPI: 1484

Civic SI had a 160 hp 2l k series.  CRV had a 184hp 2.4l K series. Both would be good engine swap candidates. SI motor is 409 points in a 99 miata.  CRV motor is 602 so less helpful. 

Edited by veris

No point swapping a 160hp A2 in to a 99 Miata...No Honda guy would run with the A2.

I also don't buy that any of the Ecotec Miatas have less than 200hp despite claims otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

No point swapping a 160hp A2 in to a 99 Miata...No Honda guy would run with the A2.

I also don't buy that any of the Ecotec Miatas have less than 200hp despite claims otherwise. 

I've looked into it and eco's are 160-180.  Having raced them, they aren't much faster than our 145whp.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Maybe my team is doing it wrong.. but we just swap in the junkyard, 170hp rated 2.4L Ecotec and call it a day. With a 2.2 that number is smaller, around 155hp. 

56 minutes ago, cmi11er said:

Maybe my team is doing it wrong.. but we just swap in the junkyard, 170hp rated 2.4L Ecotec and call it a day. With a 2.2 that number is smaller, around 155hp.

I'd say doing it legally. 

4 hours ago, Richard said:

An A2 can be a 200hp motor with 50 points.  Leaving 40 on the table. 

On 8/14/2019 at 4:58 PM, Richard said:

Very few people are making 200 on an Ecotec outside Champcar, I doubt anyone in the series is. 

I was at the new KMiata shop in Wauconda IL a few days ago (It's 15 minutes from my house). I got a chance to look at a car with the new swap listed in the first post, and it is beautifully done. The engineering and fabrication on all these kits is amazing. 

I believe they are still looking at releasing a champcar compliant budget kit for 2020 rules too. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 3:58 PM, Richard said:

Ours are waay under 200hp   You don't have to buy it, but its true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/14/2019 at 5:02 PM, Richard said:

I'd say doing it legally. 

Until tech wants to pull valve covers and measure cams, as that is the only thing that really changes in these motors(LE5's specifics) I agree 100%.  2.2L will max around 150-155rwhp, legal 164hp rated le5's can get to ~160hp with some homeade head work.  They do make a substantial amount more torque however.

Still curious if K series motors can take 7-8K for 8+ hours before scattering.  Not sure I can add enough oil per stop to keep them alive.....

Just got this from them:

"Long time no talk, just wanted to reach out because I had you on my list to update when our new K24Z3 engine swap is available for order. 

You can check out the three swap packages we're offering here:

And be sure to read all the details in our blog post:

If there's anything else we can help with just let me know.
"
$2000 for a swap package and $350 for an engine.

Surely the 205hp K swap makes the VPI far too high to even be considered, no?             

And even the basic swap on that site provides a non-OEM K intake manifold and oil pan which would also have to be claimed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Surely the 205hp K swap makes the VPI far too high to even be considered, no?             

And even the basic swap on that site provides a non-OEM K intake manifold and oil pan which would also have to be claimed.

Someone can correct me if i am wrong but if you take a transverse mounted engine and convert it to longitudinal and it requires a custom intake or exhaust manifold they CAN be considered as part of the swap for no additional points outside of the points swap. I dont know how that would work with an oil pan.

Id still assume it all has to be inculded in the $2500 tag to complete the swap though.