Jump to content
Bill Strong

Official 2019 - A Sebring NYE Double 7 Hour Enduro

Recommended Posts

+1 To the cheapest gas found, no water issues, heck, car ran better than ever😍 

 

 As for the track gas question, rather expensive 93 octane no ethanol 

Edited by Team Infiniti

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a Shell station close by.  Could make the weekend go smoother to run Shell fuel for you front runners.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 9:10 AM, Burningham said:

 

Never too soon.  I screw up just like the rental guys.  But at least I go talk to the guys I hit afterward.  

 

 

Rodger did.  He is a good guy.  I have had to do the walk of shame also and it sucks, but I think is a must and he took out slightly angry and frustrated mob well.  Funny thing is how can you be all that mad when someone admits a fault and owns up to it. We will again battle, but this time we will not have contact.  I think we are both tentative around each other, but I trust him.  I had a good few laps at Barber in Sunday, caught him, passed him, noticed he was faster in the back section, pulled over a bit, let him by, watched his lines for two laps and then did a pit stop.  Yup, I stole his fast lines for next time.  Thanks for that Rodger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Rodger did.  He is a good guy.  I have had to do the walk of shame also and it sucks, but I think is a must and he took out slightly angry and frustrated mob well.  Funny thing is how can you be all that mad when someone admits a fault and owns up to it. We will again battle, but this time we will not have contact.  I think we are both tentative around each other, but I trust him.  I had a good few laps at Barber in Sunday, caught him, passed him, noticed he was faster in the back section, pulled over a bit, let him by, watched his lines for two laps and then did a pit stop.  Yup, I stole his fast lines for next time.  Thanks for that Rodger. 

 

Passed me?  I let up and let you by. Haha

 

Hey everybody, since Troy is back isn’t it time to get back on the MR2’s?

 

By the way, the new car looked good out there.

Edited by Burningham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Burningham said:

 

Passed me?  I let up and let you by. Haha

 

Hey everybody, since Troy is back isn’t it time to get back on the MR2’s?

 

By the way, the new car looked good out there.

When I skimmed the threads I still saw lots of hate towards the mr2.  Same guys saying the same things.  Some things will never change.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MR2 Biohazard said:

When I skimmed the threads I still saw lots of hate towards the mr2.  Same guys saying the same things.  Some things will never change.  

 

Keep the focus on, nobody pays attention to Lexus' that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

When I skimmed the threads I still saw lots of hate towards the mr2.  Same guys saying the same things.  Some things will never change.  

Like the point value for the Mr2? ;)   I don’t hate them I think they are great cars.   Great cars should maybe have a bit higher stating point.   Sc300s Boxsters and Altimas are great cars too. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Like the point value for the Mr2? ;)   I don’t hate them I think they are great cars.   Great cars should maybe have a bit higher stating point.   Sc300s Boxsters and Altimas are great cars too. 

 

 

 

 

They are actually total sheet cars stock. I do not know why anyone would think otherwise. 2800lbs, 135hp, terrible suspension geometry, small gas tank. It would be one of the slowest cars in the field stock. I just do magic. Hehe. I do not think you all need to worry much anyway.  We are massively fuel limited compared to what has been doing well.  If we get the pace car pit stop and others do not luck then maybe.  Even with the smaller engine leaned out it still can only help so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Like the point value for the Mr2? ;)   I don’t hate them I think they are great cars.   Great cars should maybe have a bit higher stating point.   Sc300s Boxsters and Altimas are great cars too. 

 

 

 

 

Btw.  I already take penalty laps.  How many more do I need? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

They are actually total sheet cars stock. I do not know why anyone would think otherwise. 2800lbs, 135hp, terrible suspension geometry, small gas tank. It would be one of the slowest cars in the field stock. I just do magic. Hehe. I do not think you all need to worry much anyway.  We are massively fuel limited compared to what has been doing well.  If we get the pace car pit stop and others do not luck then maybe.  Even with the smaller engine leaned out it still can only help so much. 

Lucky for you you don’t race it stock. ;) Pretty sure you understand that what matters is what you end up with in race trim.    If we all thought the same way, it would be boring.   

 

Have a a great Thanksgiving Troy. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Lucky for you you don’t race it stock. ;) Pretty sure you understand that what matters is what you end up with in race trim.    If we all thought the same way, it would be boring.   

 

Have a a great Thanksgiving Troy. 

 

 

 

 

Have a great Thanksgiving as well.

 

I guess some things never change. I take laps now and that is still not enough for some. It will never be enough I guess until I am out of the series. Again, some things never change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

They are actually total sheet cars stock. I do not know why anyone would think otherwise. 2800lbs, 135hp, terrible suspension geometry, small gas tank. It would be one of the slowest cars in the field stock. I just do magic. Hehe. I do not think you all need to worry much anyway.  We are massively fuel limited compared to what has been doing well.  If we get the pace car pit stop and others do not luck then maybe.  Even with the smaller engine leaned out it still can only help so much. 

Sounds like a Fiero, except a Fiero is worse.

 

Let's compare:

MR2: 14.3 gallons; Fiero: 11.9 gallons

MR2: NA weight 2590 lbs; Fiero: 2780 lb

 

Smaller tank, worse suspension geometry, more weight and same hp. I've driven both, the MR2 is a better car. Road and Track proved that. 

 

3 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

Btw.  I already take penalty laps.  How many more do I need? 

That's your decision. How fast do you need to go? Faster than 500 points? Then go ahead but own that choice (and the laps) instead of making it sound like you're being persecuted.

 

The "hate" is that the MR2 gets special treatment in the swap calculator. Get that resolved and the hate will go away. You and Bill could do that. 

Edited by mender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mender said:

Sounds like a Fiero, except a Fiero is worse.

 

Let's compare:

MR2: 14.3 gallons; Fiero: 11.9 gallons

MR2: NA weight 2590 lbs; Fiero: 2780 lb

 

Smaller tank, worse suspension geometry, more weight and same hp. I've driven both, the MR2 is a better car. Road and Track proved that. 

 

That's your decision. How fast do you need to go? Faster than 500 points? Then go ahead but own that choice (and the laps) instead of making it sound like you're being persecuted.

 

The "hate" is that the MR2 gets special treatment in the swap calculator. Get that resolved and the hate will go away. You and Bill could do that. 

Agree Mender. I had a fiero GT, fun car with the V6 and TQ. MR2 130hp and 140tq and Fiero 140hp and 170tq and we both know TQ can be more important for us out of the corner.  In stock form, 88 Fiero GT V6 NA to NA MR2 I would wonder what would be faster though and owning both stock I would pout my money on the FIERO. Both are terrible cars though to start with and both are dreadfully slow. We both know that. If I did it again now I would pick a good 10 different cars on the vpi list that are much more capable.  The gas tank size on the fiero also limits it to doing well. While saying that the one out west that won is a beautiful built car, I was impressed, yet does have an ecotec swap, made much lighter and larger custom fuel cell made.

 

Yet again the same people arguing the same for years. Mender, you have not changed, may that be for better or worse. At least I know what to expect and I try to roll with your with the continued punches. I do bet your are a nice guy in person.

 

I do agree that I take the laps as I decided it is worth it and would not take anything off to do it. Springs, accusump, aero and hubs.  I added hubs for reliability and that put me over and I am OK with that. I take 40 points for springs so who knows how long that will play out and how. I do think they should be points though as it does make the car faster so having them for free just does not feel right, but based on the loophole I could have them for free also. I will not take the free loophole though as it is really not in the spirit of the rules to me.

 

So what you are saying is I should ask for like 10 laps to make you happy for the swap calculator? Would that be fair in your mind? Just curious what you are actually looking for or expecting after all these years. I have not won a race in years and years. I have gotten a 5th, 5th and 6th this year with very good strategy and driving. We are just not a factor like we have been the past and there are factors that prove that.  My car has not changed in like 4-5 years so a good portion of people have caught up and passed our speed and have large gas tanks to last a long time. We know this and strategize for it. We decided we could not race 12 or 14 hour races anymore only going 1:30 to 1:45 min per tank. That is ok. Double events give us more time to hang out, go to dinner, BS and hopefully create fond memories.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

I will not take the free loophole though as it is really not in the spirit of the rules to me.

Taking a turbo weight in the swap calculator while only claiming the NA points is also against the spirit of the rules. Interesting that you can see one but not the other.

 

11 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

So what you are saying is I should ask for like 10 laps to make you happy for the swap calculator? Would that be fair in your mind? Just curious what you are actually looking for or expecting after all these years. I have not won a race in years and years. Etc, etc, etc.

Good to see that you're not denying that you get special treatment, bad that you think you somehow deserve to get it, and worse that you want to make me the bad guy here. And not impressed that three other people appear to support that view.

Edited by mender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S. A little research into Fiero vs MK1 MR2 NA

 

I went back through my old Road & Track mags and found an article from August '85 that compared the then-new MR2 and the Fiero GT and four other 2-seater cars.
 

The Mk1 MR2 outperformed the Fiero GT at Willow Springs (1:50.85 vs 1:51.35), had better cornering on narrower tires (0.87 vs 0.83), out-accelerated the Fiero from 30 to 60 mph (5.5 seconds vs 5.6) and 30 to 80 (11.4 vs 11.7; must be all that torque out of the corner), out-braked, out-slalomed, out-lane changed, etc.

 

I'd say having Dan Gurney help develop the car at Willow Springs didn't hurt, right? Too bad Herb Adams wasn't around to do the same for the Fiero.

             
           

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mender said:

Taking a turbo weight in the swap calculator while only claiming the NA points is also against the spirit of the rules. Interesting that you can see one but not the other.

 

Good to see that you're not denying that you get special treatment, bad that you think you somehow deserve to get it, and worse that you want to make me the bad guy here. And not impressed that three other people appear to support that view.

OH Mender. I am not going to argue with you anymore. Not worth it to try to show you my side as you will never see it. It has been fun though. Carry on as always. I will now go to work and then to the shop to prepare my car for the next race and I hope you can do the same.

 

BTW- I never once said I get special treatment, and do not, but you and some others continue on to try to bash me, make stuff up to make me look bad or my team. I will not respond to any more attempts to bait me into a fruitless conversation as such anymore. That is what I have learned over the years of being off the forum. Ignore the people that just try to stir up crap for their own gain or for the gain of just watching people get hurt. I am not into trying to hurt people or teams and do not get my jollies from it. You enjoy your life and please refrain from commenting on my posts in a negative way if you can please. I want to keep this positive you can and a friendly environment and you certainly do not do any of that towards me. Lets talk car builds, race strategy, ect, but let us keep is positive and not simply come after me anymore if you can. Thanks for understanding, if you can, and keeping this a nice place to play in the sand.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mender said:

P.S. A little research into Fiero vs MK1 MR2 NA

 

I went back through my old Road & Track mags and found an article from August '85 that compared the then-new MR2 and the Fiero GT and four other 2-seater cars.
 

The Mk1 MR2 outperformed the Fiero GT at Willow Springs (1:50.85 vs 1:51.35), had better cornering on narrower tires (0.87 vs 0.83), out-accelerated the Fiero from 30 to 60 mph (5.5 seconds vs 5.6) and 30 to 80 (11.4 vs 11.7; must be all that torque out of the corner), out-braked, out-slalomed, out-lane changed, etc.

 

I'd say having Dan Gurney help develop the car at Willow Springs didn't hurt, right? Too bad Herb Adams wasn't around to do the same for the Fiero.

             
           

That is comparing the 85NA MKI MR2 to the 84/85 Fiero 4 cyl? I am comparing the 88 fiero GT, the final edition to the 91 MR2 NA, both stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my .02$ on the mr2 front...

 

I think troy is a great competitor and has run by the rules forever. 

 

Yes, his car was / is one of the fastest cars in champcar.  He followed the rules.

 

That being said, comparing stock versus stock is silly.  What can the cars do when race prepped?

 

My point is that I believe the majority of champers aren't against troy.  Just against the games that were played with the mr2 value (perceived or real).

 

Troy, you don't have the only incredibly fast mr2 in champcar.  The confusion on the values extends to all of the swapped mr2.  (Maybe excluding @Bill Strongs car 🤣).

 

Keep It up troy.  You will get back on the top step soon.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

OH Mender.  (snip)

Much prose and rhetoric while still avoiding the facts. Still painting me with faint praise while casting aspersions and subtle accusations at me from behind your self-made cloak of dignity. I want to talk facts, you don't. Pretty simple.

 

2 hours ago, MR2 Biohazard said:

That is comparing the 85NA MKI MR2 to the 84/85 Fiero 4 cyl? I am comparing the 88 fiero GT, the final edition to the 91 MR2 NA, both stock.

You don't need to be coy, Troy. As stated, it's a Fiero GT. You know exactly what that is, in the same way that you know that a turbo MR2 is not the same as a naturally aspirated one. Hard to have an open conversation with someone so intent on distorting even the simplest of facts.

 

It's not about you, Troy, it's about one of the cars that is getting special treatment in the swap calculator. It's also about the reluctance of the management to fix that despite me sending emails to BoD members and even the boss himself. The general undercurrent is that you're not winning and therefore not a threat. 

 

Far from being a victim, Troy, you're benefiting from that reluctance. In one of my emails I did an analysis of how the swap calculator should be working, and pointed out that the difference in points from what it shows vs what it should is as high as 223 points. Am I trying to get you personally an additional 23 laps, Troy? Well, if you're entitled to get those once the swap calculator is brought up to equal standards for everyone, so be it.

 

In the meantime, have a Happy Thanksgiving and hope to meet you at the races sometime.  

 

 

Edited by mender
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T-Birds were increased VPI due to a 'perceived' threat that it could be fast even though its never happened, the MR2 gets points lowered because of.. well nobody actually knows... seems legit

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

That being said, comparing stock versus stock is silly. 

Be that as it may, that's what VPi is based on. If someone convinces the Powers That Be that their car is a piece of junk stock, they get a lower VPi.

 

10 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

What can the cars do when race prepped?

 More with a low VPi than with a high VPi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...