Bill Strong

Official 2020 Schedule is starting to post

Like the OP stated. it had nothing to do with the series. it was the kink and a slower car suddenly there. 

18 minutes ago, shutupracing said:

Implying that the kink, and/or other series hurt people is laughable.

I can't believe you get paid for this s#*t.

There is plenty of evidence that the kink is where the vast majority of large accidents at Road America happen.  That evidence comes from the other series, be it professional or amateur, so no knocking any particular series.  We are an amateur racing series, with a lot of inexperienced drivers, and we want teams to survive races intact.  

• Like 7

Just now, Jer said:

There is plenty of evidence that the kink is where the vast majority of large accidents at Road America happen.  That evidence comes from the other series, be it professional or amateur, so no knocking any particular series.  We are an amateur racing series, with a lot of inexperienced drivers, and we want teams to survive races intact.  

There is plenty of evidence that ______ is where the vast majority of large accidents at _____ happen.

^^This is true for a lot of tracks^^

It's always a sore spot for some people.  But don't expect the series to change on this.  

2 hours ago, Jer said:

It's always a sore spot for some people.  But don't expect the series to change on this.  

Agreed. I also don't expect people to stop asking about it, but I'm not one of them.

I enjoy both configurations equally, my decision to attend a race there would never come down to kink vs bend. 

If the track won't allow us to run the kink, just say so, no need to make excuses. (also don't let Bill say we'll "never" do things, we could have a whole new BOD every 3 years) 

Reminds me of Condren trying to convince us that tracks wouldn't allow cars to run with glass installed :huh: (you can still see the effect of this in our rules today!)

Wow, no comments about Nelson ledges being an eight and seven this year? It actually works out good for our team, because I don't know if we're quite ready for a 24. I would love to race at Nelson,,  so this suit us just fine. Most of all, I am really glad that it stayed on the schedule. And the date is pretty good, spaced out from other races in the area. 

• Like 2

Already planning for Nelson as well. Just hoping they don't choose the same weekend for Mosport 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcoppola said:

Wow, no comments about Nelson ledges being an eight and seven this year? It actually works out good for our team, because I don't know if we're quite ready for a 24. I would love to race at Nelson,,  so this suit us just fine. Most of all, I am really glad that it stayed on the schedule. And the date is pretty good, spaced out from other races in the area. 

Good luck.  That may be where I debut the new car....  I hate 24s.  I love nelsons.

• Like 3

Road America with our without the Kink is still fun, but to be honest I just feel burnt out there.  Would like to see one date replaced with Autobahn or even the new Gateway config. to spice it up a bit.  I get that we get a decent rate on both event dates, but to me it isn't that "fun" of a track to race at.  I get a lot of corners require a big pair to get through fast and the overall speed is up there, but the track is not that technical.  Now, the local eateries, track history, and beautiful spring and fall weather make for a great weekend, I guess we are just spoiled having raced it so many times.  Now we work it at least once a year so that is nice.

I know our team has talked about running in CA if a date pops up in June or July, just have to embrace the 13 hr. tow plus possible fun at the border(yes I've crossed many times with a fishing boat)!

Not sure if there are issues with the border if you are coming in from the US but we've crossed with the race care 6 or 7 times and it takes fewer than 10 minutes every time. I usually carry a manifest with me but we've never been asked a single question about specific items in the trailer. 

• Like 2

I'm interested to see how the NHMS race will turn out. It's a fun track, especially when running the south oval (NASCAR 1 and 2). Any news or special things about it? Don't you need to wear a helmet and be 18 to go into the pits(cold side)?

New Hampshire will have a great turnout, lots of interest in New England in ChampCar.  Tell your race buddies & spread the word.

Edited by DEE DEE
  • Like 1

On Tuesday, October 01, 2019 at 11:50 AM, shutupracing said:

Implying that the kink, and/or other series hurt people is laughable.

I can't believe you get paid for this s#*t.

Oh Shutup,   little harsh on the people working hard  for us & looking out for our well being.

@DEE DEE Some BoD and TAC members were conversing last night in our Slack app, reminiscing about the 80's T/A and IMSA racing at the time. We started pulling old pictures of the DeAtley, Zakspeed, Protofab, Pratt/Riley, and Roush cars of the day. I found a good pic of "Nobody's Fool" - I believe it was Roush's last Daytona 24 hour win in their long streak there. 

I don't want to clog up this thread with the pictures, but I'm sure you would have enjoyed some of them, too. Doc had a funny comment on 1 of them - 'when Robby was young, and Bruce was still a guy.'

Will you be at Pittrace this weekend? If so, with which team? Meeting is long overdue...

42 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

"and Bruce was still a guy."

He's still a guy ... 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 6:51 AM, shutupracing said:

So now that we are so awesome that we can race at Indy and COTA can we convince Road America that we are ready for the kink? We would like to go, but at this point WRL is our only option since they run the kink.

I might be in the minority, but I don't mind not running the kink.  I would possibly say I prefer not to.  It's such a penalizing corner to make a mistake and I don't think switching to the kink would increase car counts or the happiness of the competitors.

I've never driven the kink, but I like the extra passing opportunity into the chicane that would not exist if running the kink (unless you like balled up racecar from trying to pass IN the kink.)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Clueless Racing said:

I might be in the minority, but I don't mind not running the kink.  I would possibly say I prefer not to.  It's such a penalizing corner to make a mistake and I don't think switching to the kink would increase car counts or the happiness of the competitors.

Agree.  No interest in running the kink.  I don’t have anything to prove to anyone and like the car shaped the way it is.  

On Thursday, October 03, 2019 at 8:25 AM, mcoppola said:

@DEE DEE Some BoD and TAC members were conversing last night in our Slack app, reminiscing about the 80's T/A and IMSA racing at the time. We started pulling old pictures of the DeAtley, Zakspeed, Protofab, Pratt/Riley, and Roush cars of the day. I found a good pic of "Nobody's Fool" - I believe it was Roush's last Daytona 24 hour win in their long streak there. 

I don't want to clog up this thread with the pictures, but I'm sure you would have enjoyed some of them, too. Doc had a funny comment on 1 of them - 'when Robby was young, and Bruce was still a guy.'

Will you be at Pittrace this weekend? If so, with which team? Meeting is long overdue...

I am at Pitt.  #59  Star Racing  bright green sentra  pit #29

9 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Agree.  No interest in running the kink.  I don’t have anything to prove to anyone and like the car shaped the way it is.  

The kink is obviously to be respected, but its not the boogy man people seem to make it.  Its a fun corner and feels great when you hit it fast and rocket down the back straight into canada.  I dont necessarily mind the bend, but I much rather run the kink...personally I think it just feels better coming out of the carousel and carrying speed thru the kink.

But clearly the consequences are much more severe in that corner when mistakes are made.

• Like 1

Nobodys Fool was in the 90's....I was 4 pits down in my U car...Paul Newman was old as hell then when he won..same old as hell as I am now..

• Like 1

I tuned in to the live broadcast for a bit today and they said the 2020 schedule is complete, is that correct?  One Canadian race and only Sonoma in the west.