Sign in to follow this  
turbogrill

filler tube in driver compartment

I can't wait for the rule to go back to the way it was so i can remove the $30 worth of metal line and reinstall the $200 worth of hoses.¬†ūüôĄ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2019 at 10:01 PM, Ron_e said:

Our cell, fuel pumps, surge, fill tube, vent line, catch on the vent line are all completely contained in the trunk which then has a bulkhead separating it from the driver compartment.  This leaves the fill tube open and visible as we fill - I am so thankful we can see the fill tube as I don't think we have spilled a drop since we went to this system in 2014.  As soon as fuel is visible in the fill tube there is very little room to add more so the filler slows the rate dramatically.

We throw the drip pan underneath to follow the rules but the cell sits horizontal so if anything did spill we would need a pan larger than the 17X34" cell to catch it and it would have to be enough to cover the cell, drip down the side, then into the pan.  The car is long gone before that could ever happen.

I'm confused, are you opening your trunk during filling? How can you see the fill tube if it's encased in the trunk behind a bulkhead? Pictures?

My eclipse is a hatchback so I have one of two options:
1. Bulkhead the entire rear half of the car with metal, lose all rearview possibility (add a rear view camera?) - Note, I currently have a bulkhead and the upper half is polycarbonate but that is not per the rules. I again contend this is not a good idea because if a fire starts back there the driver (me) will have no idea and that fire could still spread to kill me. By the time I know it's there, it's probably pretty late to try to stop, get out, and save myself.
2. Try to build some convoluted, complicated bulkhead around all the components and maintain rear visibility. Comment from #1 on situational awareness still applies.

Edited by Slugworks Paul

Yes all¬†in the trunk. ¬†The fuel inlet is right underneath the trunk lid then about 8‚ÄĚ of clear hose down to the cell. ¬†Car pulls in, trunk opens and fuel starts going in, fueler stares at the clear hose for signs of fuel to know when it is almost full. ¬†

Edited by Ron_e
  • Like 2