Bill Strong

2020 Official - The 2020 National Championship at Sonoma Raceway

6 minutes ago, mender said:

Seems to me that I read somewhere about qualified teams being given preference re: entries for this event. True?

Seeing how most races out west fair for entries, I would guess you will be just fine......Doubt a great many make the tow.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 11:48 AM, Burningham said:

He is going to be there, I'll convince him somehow.  I will work on it this week when we are doing the Route 66 ride across the country.  Should be full of awesomeness.

Never came up. Guess we were having too much fun riding.

7 hours ago, Pee Wee said:

Never came up. Guess we were having too much fun riding.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  Let's go to Sonoma?

• Haha 2

Any news about the format? 14 hour split between two days with park firme? 8+7, 9+6, etc, etc, etc.

Need to contact my drivers and entice them with lots of track time at Sonoma so I can get the plan together.

• Like 1

Update!

Sonoma Championship format -

Two separate races with the points from each day adding to the Championship total.

In the event of a tie at the end of the weekend (ex, two teams finish 1-2 & 2-1 on sat/sun), the higher finishing team on Sunday gets the Championship.  

There will be no Parc Ferme on Saturday night, teams are free to repair their cars.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2019 at 7:31 PM, Ronh911 said:

If we decide to tow from CT to CA we might be looking to bring another teams car, spares and equipment with us to help defray the cost.  The car would need to be small.

is an e30 small enough?

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 7:31 PM, Ronh911 said:

If we decide to tow from CT to CA we might be looking to bring another teams car, spares and equipment with us to help defray the cost.  The car would need to be small.

is a 2006 nissan altima small? :)

2 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Update!

Two separate races with the points from each day adding to the Championship total.

In the event of a tie at the end of the weekend (ex, two teams finish 1-2 & 2-1 on sat/sun), the higher finishing team on Sunday gets the Championship.  

There will be no Parc Ferme on Saturday night, teams are free to repair their cars.

Finally, a Championship structure that makes sense.

Edited by Richard
  • Like 1

How long will the races be?  Can it be a 10+10 to add another stint to help offset the towing costs for the east coast teams?  Is that even possible in californiastan?

• Like 1

I was waiting to hear from the boss...

It is a 7 plus 7 with a one hour red flag at lunch both days.

So it would be 8 hours. So 7 hours of racing.

15 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

I was waiting to hear from the boss...

It is a 7 plus 7 with a one hour red flag at lunch both days.

So it would be 8 hours. So 7 hours of racing.

They must have a good union. :) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mender said:

They must have a good union. :) 

Yeah. The state of California. It's a state law, selectively enforced like most laws.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Huggy said:

How long will the races be?  Can it be a 10+10 to add another stint to help offset the towing costs for the east coast teams?  Is that even possible in californiastan?

I talked to Mike today and he said there is no way we could do any more than what Sonoma allows us.  I think it's the CA people out there and their way of thinking is my guess.  No way we can go longer than what Bill has stated already. 

32 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I talked to Mike today and he said there is no way we could do any more than what Sonoma allows us.  I think it's the CA people out there and their way of thinking is my guess.  No way we can go longer than what Bill has stated already. 

Thanks for following up on that and sharing.  

Bill, how do the points work, then?  Best two finishes during the season plus two finishes at Sonoma?  Or is Sonoma averaged?  Or is Sonoma all that counts?  I will say with this change I am likely to go now.  I like it.  

On 10/4/2019 at 11:07 AM, Bill Strong said:

Update!

If that is the case I would hope whoever wins on Sat does NOT get penalty laps as they are at a huge disadvantage considering the tiebreaker.   

• Like 2

On 10/6/2019 at 5:58 AM, Snake said:

If that is the case I would hope whoever wins on Sat does NOT get penalty laps as they are at a huge disadvantage considering the tiebreaker.   

I'm certain that no penalty laps will be awarded for MOV.  

On 10/6/2019 at 7:12 AM, Jer said:

Bill, how do the points work, then?  Best two finishes during the season plus two finishes at Sonoma?  Or is Sonoma averaged?  Or is Sonoma all that counts?  I will say with this change I am likely to go now.  I like it.  

Curious about this as well

OK, word from the top: 

The Championship is two days.  The best finishing points (lowest) from the total of your two lowest in season races and the two Championship days (4 total points results) wins.  Sunday of Championship weekend is the tie breaker.  NO MOV points will be charged at Sonoma.  

• Like 2