Rear window straps on hardtop - connect to chassis?

turbogrill

Hi,

On a Miata with hardtop, is the straps required for the rear lexan window? I have seen some very recent pictures without. If they are required do they have to connect to the chassis? 

"

All polycarbonate rear windows or hatches are required to have at least two (2) 1” x 1/8” aluminum safety straps installed on the OUTSIDE of the window/hatch to support the window and keep it from separating from the vehicle. Straps must extend the full length of the window/hatch and must be securely attached to the chassis or roll-cage"

44 minutes ago, turbogrill said:

Hi,

On a Miata with hardtop, is the straps required for the rear lexan window? I have seen some very recent pictures without. If they are required do they have to connect to the chassis? 

"

All polycarbonate rear windows or hatches are required to have at least two (2) 1” x 1/8” aluminum safety straps installed on the OUTSIDE of the window/hatch to support the window and keep it from separating from the vehicle. Straps must extend the full length of the window/hatch and must be securely attached to the chassis or roll-cage"

...is this rhetorical?

Hahaha, my alternative answer may have been "No, it doesnt need to be attached to the chassis.... as long as it's attached the roll cage!"

Now, question is: is the hard top securely attached to the chassis?  If so then the straps securely attached to the hard top are by definition securely attached to the chassis.  The rules doesnt say it needs to be "directly" attached to the chassis, just attached.  @National Tech is pretty reasonable, if its a solid mount, Im sure you will be fine.

1 hour ago, thewheelerZ said:

Hahaha, my alternative answer may have been "No, it doesnt need to be attached to the chassis.... as long as it's attached the roll cage!"

Now, question is: is the hard top securely attached to the chassis?  If so then the straps securely attached to the hard top are by definition securely attached to the chassis.  The rules doesnt say it needs to be "directly" attached to the chassis, just attached.  @National Tech is pretty reasonable, if its a solid mount, Im sure you will be fine.

good point. I guess the hardtop is the chassis. It has 6 bolts! Good enough for me.

thx

• Technical Advisory Committee

If you have seen a car without window straps they are still running glass , which has to be taped over with clear crash film . The straps have to be attached stoutley to the top which is attached to the body and cage ..

Have run across some windows with a wrap or one way scenic film this will not pass and has to be removed,  pass through vission is important . .

• Like 1