Adjustable Cool Shirt

RandomTask

At VIR, ON/OFF was a little annoying (distracting). You would get super hot, turn on the cool shirt, then 4 min later, be too cold and turn it off.

That in mind, I’m looking to make an adjustable (voltage) coolshirt. I was thinking of running a pot that controlled a switch mode power supply. (I’m an ME, not an EE). Has anyone done this? How did it work out? Am I making a crappier version of something that I can readily buy? (Couldn’t find anything)

Thanks!

• Technical Advisory Committee

A friend sent me this a few weeks ago. Said he has it in his car and it works perfect, at less than 10 bucks. 

It has a digital display that shows percentage-wise the level that the PWM controller is regulating the pump motor. He says he runs it at about 30% to start off, and increases it to about 70% as the water or driver gets hotter near the end of the stint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6-30V-12V-24V-8A-PWM-Motor-Speed-Controller-With-Digital-Display-Switch/183101461721?epid=9002808696&hash=item2aa1b294d9:g:GqQAAOSw9KhaBAv5

Edited by mcoppola
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

A friend sent me this a few weeks ago. Said he has it in his car and it works perfect, at less than 10 bucks. 

It has a digital display that shows percentage-wise the level that the PWM controller is regulating the pump motor. He says he runs it at about 30% to start off, and increases it to about 70% as the water or driver gets hotter near the end of the stint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6-30V-12V-24V-8A-PWM-Motor-Speed-Controller-With-Digital-Display-Switch/183101461721?epid=9002808696&hash=item2aa1b294d9:g:GqQAAOSw9KhaBAv5

For $8, just ordered one and gonna make that work. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ross2004 said:

With our pumps a PWM will not work, this solution would.

Thanks! 

Edited by Team Infiniti

On 9/5/2019 at 10:23 AM, RandomTask said:

turn on the cool shirt, then 4 min later, be too cold and turn it off.

giphy.gif

I dont think i've ever gotten too cold from a cool shirt.  Too comfortable yes.

The PWM controllers seem to work great for the teams that use them.  Me, I'm a 10 on, 10 off kinda guy, or if its really hot just leave that sucker on.

• Like 1

I have used the ebay pulse width modulators for a couple of years now on the coolsuit pump and the helmet air fan.  I keep a spare but so far have not needed to use it.  It is a handy way to extend the ice in the cooler and minimizes the distractions you mention of turning off/on.  Kind of like wipers without a park switch, just one more thing to contend with that is not necessary.  As far as the fancy output display, that's just not necessary, what you feel is the only output indication you need.  

This is similar to the ones I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-90V-15A-Pulse-Width-Modulator-PWM-DC-Motor-Speed-Governor-Controller-PLC-/201403431911?hash=item2ee4947be7