Bill Strong

Nelson 24-Hour Race Results, Pictures, and Video

22 hours ago, MMiskoe said:

Heard they changed them a lot but didn't hear the total used.  Changing them out often because they were starting out shaved.

Arms race is on, hope no one was thinking this would stay as cheap(er) racing for long. 

130hp from a me-otter is about right.

Looks like the 995 laps turned in 2008 Longest Night still stands as a record.

The Saleen Porsche was a 191 hp as expected.  I will loaded the full reports later today.  Including info on the data spike

On 9/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, red0 said:

Well...... if we are going to talk about it, what car and what did it make?

The Saleen Porsche was a 191 hp as expected.  I will loaded the full reports later today.  Including info on the data spike⁰

The Saleen Porsche was a 191 hp as expected.  I will loaded the full reports later today.  Including info on the data spike

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 10:25 AM, thewheelerZ said:

Did I hear it on the interviews correctly that Sahlens changed 4 RE71s EVERY (11) pit-stop???  Wholly tire budget batman.

They change every other stop while I was on pit lane

On 9/9/2019 at 10:25 AM, thewheelerZ said:

Did I hear it on the interviews correctly that Sahlens changed 4 RE71s EVERY (11) pit-stop???  Wholly tire budget batman.

Just so everyone does not freak out before Jay is able to get the data up, this is the data that Ray gave me and I posted to Facebook na few minutes after the pulls.

Sahlen's Porsche 
193hp 200tq

Mazda Miata 1.8L

130hp 113tq

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thank you, Jay.  With their resources, that is the whp that would be expected.  That is a well-built car and they ran a perfect race.  Congrats to Team Sahlen.  We hope that we can give them a run for their money in the near future.

The Boxster 2.5 Liter engine makes 201 hp at the crank.  Porsche is typically conservative.  So, it could be upwards of 210 hp at the crank.  Whp readings for Spec Boxster are typically 180 - 195 whp.  The Team Sahlen dyno results tell me that they have a healthy engine and a good tune.  Exactly as it should be!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wd6681 said:

Saw the pull but was not looking at screen and asked someone else looking at it, high enough that I was hesitant to share, maybe a Dyno issue? I was more curious why it happened, now I am curious if that number is real.

The 191 hp on the porsche is accurate.  Other numbers are not.

I will post the actual reports soon.  But the 191/193 quoted on the forum for Saleens is close to accurate.

50 minutes ago, National Tech said:

So what you are saying is fire @Bill Strong for saying it wrong on the livecast.  Gotcha!

Thanks for the correct info.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, craig71188 said:

If you are not familiar with Lake Erie Communications (the flag crew), you might look here: http://www.lakeeriecommunications.org/home.html.  No excuse for missing the car going off.  Our driver was behind them and we notified the pit marshalls when he didn't see a response.  That said, I have seen Champ NOT man all stations at other tracks, or only have one flagger and to be honest, it is a bit concerning.  Saw an off at VIR at turn one where the car went straight off the end of T1 clear to the tires and it took several laps to get to them in daylight and in plain sight.  With LEC at Nelson, many stations would have 3 people, one for communication to race control, one looking "up track" and one looking "down track" and yes, they will stand out from the "bunker" for better visibility. 

ChampCar rents the track, safety crews and flaggers as a package at most tracks and does not always have control of the number of corner workers that call in sick. I do think that there was a VERY large number of corner workers at this event.

1 hour ago, National Tech said:

The Saleen Porsche was a 191 hp as expected.  I will loaded the full reports later today.  Including info on the data spike.

Sweet.  Like I said, I heard the high number, but it didn't seem to be true.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Thanks 1

191 Correlates more with the performance I saw from the car. Changing 200tw tires every pit stop fits in the rules; a 274hp boxster does not. Confidence restored! We too were switching tires around nearly every pit stop; trying to make 8 Dunlop Z3's go 24 hours.

3 minutes ago, National Tech said:

Fire fire - oh just kidding, opps not sure never mind.

Sorry for calling fire....  it was something i wanted answered because i heard it from a few sources and couldnt find the number that it actually made.  

I thought I was pretty clear that I heard this number and was skeptical about it.

Thank you for clarifying!

I too would have expected a much lower laptime if it make another 90 hp over what the dyno stated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In 1985, this bad boy beat Freddy Baker's Turbo 944 1012 to 1007 laps.

And man, were they sand bagging. I think they were shifting that thing at 3500 RPM.

Probably had 400hp :)

Of course there was probably no full course yellows, back then there had to be blood on the track before they went FCY.

1936315493_mcLD.jpg.8243b0236b99ce35652b9af886070012.jpg

96776708_1985LDresults.thumb.JPG.545cb5531116e14b5b1b08cbfeb7e4b9.JPG

Edited by tommytipover
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, craig71188 said:

If you are not familiar with Lake Erie Communications (the flag crew), you might look here: http://www.lakeeriecommunications.org/home.html.  No excuse for missing the car going off.  Our driver was behind them and we notified the pit marshalls when he didn't see a response.  That said, I have seen Champ NOT man all stations at other tracks, or only have one flagger and to be honest, it is a bit concerning.  Saw an off at VIR at turn one where the car went straight off the end of T1 clear to the tires and it took several laps to get to them in daylight and in plain sight.  With LEC at Nelson, many stations would have 3 people, one for communication to race control, one looking "up track" and one looking "down track" and yes, they will stand out from the "bunker" for better visibility. 

I am very aware of LEC.   Ran SCCA Nationals many times  at Nelson  where we had to bring our lawn mower to mow out our  space in the field and bring plywood for flooring.    I just don't think it's very safe for flaggers  to be at track side with no protection.   A tragedy waiting to happen from where I sit.    And as you know it's up to the flag crew to man the stations not ChampCar.     Actually driving around the track it not only looked unsafe but I wondered how fast these flaggers could run to get out of the way of a speeding car in the grass that is out of control.     Perhaps if they can't see the track from the bunker (flag stand) they should think on adding more or improve the current ones.  It appeared to me that at the big oak tree where flaggers were standing unprotected just of the track that the track was higher than the area they were standing so I'm not sure they could see better.   Simply put I would really hate to see someone get injured.

Edited by DEE DEE
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, tommytipover said:

WOW!!!  My dad (Buz McCall) tells the story of that team all the time.  DILLIGAF Racing.  He was racing with Jim Mueller (voice of the Cleveland Browns).  Jeff Andretti was with them in that race, but didn't get credit for it.

Look at some of the names on that list!!  Some huge names from the racing world. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tommytipover said:

In 1985, this bad boy beat Freddy Baker's Turbo 944 1012 to 1007 laps.

And man, were they sand bagging. I think they were shifting that thing at 3500 RPM.

Probably had 400hp :)

Of course there was probably no full course yellows, back then there had to be blood on the track before they went FCY.

1936315493_mcLD.jpg.8243b0236b99ce35652b9af886070012.jpg

Awesome!! John Heinricy (with corvette) was still racing pro at least in 2017 with Pirelli BSpec in a Chevy Sonic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmi11er said:

Awesome!! John Heinricy (with corvette) was still racing pro at least in 2017 with Pirelli BSpec in a Chevy Sonic.

John Heinricy: holds the second most SCCA Runoffs championships.  Legend.  Don Knowles is also a very longtime racer and still racing in SCCA.  And Bobby Carradine is Lewis Skolnick!

E.F.R. is on the list.  Bob Snodgrass (President of Brumos).  Plus...Janet Guthrie!

And then I found this!...  This dude turns 73 tomorrow and is racing with you guys!  He drives the #602 R3R Boxster named Rocket.

i-8PZMgTC-XL.jpg

Edited by Round3Racing
  • Like 5

1012 laps?  Challenge accepted.....    

I mean, isn't that just like a 1:22 average lap and a perfect 11 5-min pit stops....   

7 minutes ago, NigelStu said:

1012 laps?  Challenge accepted.....    

I mean, isn't that just like a 1:22 average lap and a perfect 11 5-min pit stops....   

No FCY no fog - piece of cake

I stand corrected.  For as long as I could find results, I had never seen a results page with more than the 995 laps we turned in 2008.

1012 is going to be VERY hard to beat with the rules that Champ has in place.  We did 995 but no minimum time in the pits (1:40 fuel, driver & 2 tires) and no maximum time for the driver (we were hard pressed to go over 2 hours without either rain or cautions).  We did have a 20 minute shut down when the timing tower lost power.

9 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

Just so everyone does not freak out before Jay is able to get the data up, this is the data that Ray gave me and I posted to Facebook na few minutes after the pulls.

Sahlen's Porsche 
193hp 200tq

Mazda Miata 1.8L

130hp 113tq

These are the correct numbers, I sent the official dyno charts and explanation of the confusion of why people may have seen some higher numbers at first.

I believe he was supposed to post them up here.

For anyone wondering why the dyno is at some events, it is to keep everyone in check. If someone has grossly more power than they should based on what they listed at tech, we do our best to catch them for other racers sake. Also for the winners sake (like the Porsche) we prove that they are within the rules of a reasonable setup.

MuleTown Dyno

• Like 6

On 9/9/2019 at 9:08 PM, BionicPhil said:

I'd have to echo DEE DEE's sentiment here.  While a "classic" track, some aspects of this track's design and safety features are also a bit classic.  When a driver needs to radio into the pits to have them tell someone that they are off, instead of a corner station seeing it (even at night), that is just plain scary.  Tire piles instead of tire walls helped a few cars to get up in the air, and sometimes over the barriers.  No braking markers, maybe just a few bike reflectors.  The fastest corner (the kink on the back straight) had no lighting, and plenty "light pollution" in the background from road cars.  We don't expect every track to meet FIA standards or anything, but I'm not sure we'd be in a hurry to head back to Nelson.

No doubt on any of these things.  I heard an estimate to remove the tires and replace with stacks was 2.5MM!!  I'm just happy we can still run there.  Debating a tow out next year! 

1 hour ago, Jer said:

No doubt on any of these things.  I heard an estimate to remove the tires and replace with stacks was 2.5MM!!  I'm just happy we can still run there.  Debating a tow out next year! 

I personally see Nelson as a bucket list track. It is a badge of honor that only Amateur racers wear. These magazine snippets show some big names racing there but when they raced at Nelson they were coming into OUR arena. I would like to believe that when they left they had a real good time. In the world of glamorous, clean, and private race tracks Nelson is in some ways a breath of fresh air or maybe more of a hazing ritual to be in our sport. Whatever it is, I love it.

• Like 2

So many races, so close together so a 24 will always lose entries. I've done the 25+ twice and the Nelson 12 and the track is awesome as it is. The lack of run off and safety measures means you have to pay attention the whole time and that makes it a driver's track.

Maybe going to a 12 or Double 7 would encourage entries. 

• Like 3