Bill Strong

Nelson 24-Hour Race Results, Pictures, and Video

I can see the bucket list argument.  That's what drives our team to try to hit up one "new to us" track each year.   To be able to say "We were there."  I love watching a pro race, and KNOWING the track first hand.  IMSA coverage is awesome for this.

And, to be certain, my comments are not directed to track amenities, or even the "mow your own" pit spots.  Not all tracks can be COTA or some country club, and I don't think any of us want that.   I'd compare Nelson overall to, say GingerMan:  A small outfit kept running by folks who love the sport.

My biggest concern was that I felt more likely to get hurt here than at any track I've been to since 2003, and my teammates mostly echoed that.  My wife actually got out of the car at night when one competitor's off went multiple laps with no response...  that's our concern.  And "well, try not to go off, then" just isn't a good response.  For sure, safety costs money, but we're going to vote with our wallets on this one.

Anyhoo...  how was everyone else's race?

• Like 1

I would love to see the safety aspects of this track improved.  I believe they would get a lot more sanctioning bodies holding events there.  We are not that fast compared to some classes in other leagues.

With that said, we raced for 24 hours there and every car but 1 that went off was able to continue. 

I will also say that the safety of the Armco at Watkins Glen seems worse.  I've run Road Atlanta in the simulator countless times, and that last turn before start finish has so little runoff and has a lot of speed - can't bring myself to race the car there. 

My comments were just safety concerns guys not slamming the track.  The mowing part was years ago.  The grounds were certainly groomed  and looked great.  Like my wife said a coat of paint would make a great improvement on some of the buildings.  I enjoy driving the track and will go back again for a 24hr ,  12hr  or double whatever.  The new owners are truly making an effort and it is appreciated.  

• Like 1

Realistically I agree with you guys, safety is progress. My greater concern is for those that have not raced there, I don't want them to be scared away. The track is working too hard for people to not show up and enjoy it. That and even as a young guy it holds a genuine and nolstagic place in my heart for racing, like going to the grubby drag races with my dad and getting fries and spraying vinegar on them with a spray bottle. 

• Like 2