Zimo

Building a car from the ground up

Based on that logic, full tube frame silhouette cars should be legal.  That way the costs to repair and race them will be even lower!

The argument for higher points for parts is that people won't be able to spend points on go fast items.  If they don't have points for go fast items, they probably wouldn't need things like race hubs.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, turbogrill said:

So this is why I don't understand why people complain about stuff being less points.

So who cars if hubs are now 5pts, that's a $100 part! 

That's 1-2hours of tires.

Or if a swap is $2000 or $3000, that's less than entry fee for one race.

I would liken it to a bunch of kids using a local empty lot to play baseball, then the rich kids and their parents deciding they want to play, too, with the inevitable "improvements".

Next thing you know, the kids who started it can't even afford to buy tickets to get into the new stadium that got built on the empty lot.  

Edited by mender
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 9/12/2019 at 6:43 PM, Zimo said:

A little information for anyone thinking about getting into this, I have been recording everything I've bought since the beginning. The attached PDF is where I am at in $$ after 2 years of champcar and 4 races in. Its isolated to just my costs of building the car and keeping it maintained (parts only cost, I do all the labor). I run a 325ci E46. Curious to know what the range of budgets are on some of these builds. 

E46 Racecar Budget.pdf 88.24 kB · 77 downloads

I'm going to guess our 1st build cost about 6k but we sold over $1200 in parts (was built for the other league) Our "parts" car is now our current build since the 84 got wrecked. I'm guessing we will dump another 1500-2k into this one, not including helmets, Haans, fire suits and such. WP_20190824_16_21_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.e54d73f6973f8ab130f22ae83815ebfb.jpg

1 hour ago, mender said:

I would liken it to a bunch of kids using a local empty lot to play baseball, then the rich kids and their parents deciding they want to play, too, with the inevitable "improvements".

Next thing you know, the kids who started it can't even afford to buy tickets to get into the new stadium that got built on the empty lot.  

Seriously one of the best analogies on how this is progressing.    

• Like 3

Oh you are welcome to attend. Your taped bat an homemade team t-shirts are now outlawed. In the name of level competition. 😎

2 hours ago, mender said:

• Like 2

My son and I built our car as a father\son project.  I have not kept up with the cost but the time spent with my son building, working on and racing the car is priceless.

• Like 6

I have not had the privilege of fathering a son. Can only imagine the how it would touch the heart. Well done Sir.

36 minutes ago, Hunterflyy said:

My son and I built our car as a father\son project.  I have not kept up with the cost but the time spent with my son building, working on and racing the car is priceless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunterflyy said:

father\son project

Only better when you build the car as father and three sons and a second father and son help form the complete team. Memories that you can enjoy for life.

Only issues is I don't drive and am just the wrench, promise with the better half to stay off the track. It's Ok cause I get quality time with the boys.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 55mini said:

Only better when you build the car as father and three sons and a second father and son help form the complete team. Memories that you can enjoy for life.

Only issues is I don't drive and am just the wrench, promise with the better half to stay off the track. It's Ok cause I get quality time with the boys.

Thanks dad!  It has been a blast!  Also, you should really get behind the wheel!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 55mini said:

Yep nothing better than the multi generational teams.   We’ve had a wonderful time.  

• Like 3

On 9/14/2019 at 8:30 PM, Cam Benty said:

‘Built my car for less than 5k. Including safety.  But I did everything. Car was cheap. Very cheap.  Junk yard motor for 200 dollars, six cylinder trans and rear end I rebuilt.  The most expensive item was the Painless wiring harness. And it has finished every race it has entered. We were not competitive because of new drivers but we could turn and stop with any car on the track. I made the mistake of building the motor to “ the spirit of the series” and got walked buy the top ten cars on the straights. ( will NOT make that mistake again)  Changed fluids, tires and brakes pad. Put a wrench on every bolt and go to the next race. It can be done on a budget. 

The best part is I would take my wife with me to swap meets and got her involved. It worked for us but you may need to test the waters.

It can be done on a budget. Picking the right car is key. The 46 is an outstanding car but far from budget friendly.. There are other good choices for significantly less costs.  Best of luck.

What did you build? I know you were building a T-bird until the series decided to hobble them and 'thought' you might have been building a Mustang, but not sure. 
Is the T-bird gone, or did you just put it on hold? 

17 hours ago, 55mini said:

Only better when you build the car as father and three sons.

It has been the best thing in the world to build a car with my two sons and also drive with them. And just when you think that's the best thing in the world the little bastards get quicker than you and that's the best thing in the world. It was already a great life and then a class win at the Glen almost made my heart stop so it got better again.

If we ever get an overall win and I die during the trophy presentation, burn my body at that track and use the ashes to soak up some oil or fuel in pit lane. Life=Complete

• Like 7

On 9/15/2019 at 11:04 AM, mender said:

well i will say t his. Our car was pushing 500 points 2-3 years ago, now we have 100 and that's with a few upgrades....

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 11:04 AM, mender said:

If  you're surprized by this you haven't seen what other entry level motorsports turn into.  Take a look at SCCA Improved Touring or World Challenge or Grand Am or any number of autocross classes.  The open-ness of the rule book does not help this situation either. 

The Arms Race is on at Champ.

The first car race happened about 5 minutes after the second car got parked next to the first one.  The desire to do what ever it takes to beat the competition started as soon as the loser of that first race realized he was going to lose.

Not surprised, seen lots of entry level series get turned inside out by rules that seem to lose their way.

Just disappointed that it only took 5 years to go from cheap racing to checkbook racing.

3 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

well i will say t his. Our car was pushing 500 points 2-3 years ago, now we have 100 and that's with a few upgrades....

My Fiero was at 497 points in 2015; now it's under 300. 

Edited by mender

Check your mail. Let us do this private.

19 hours ago, Snorman said:

What did you build? I know you were building a T-bird until the series decided to hobble them and 'thought' you might have been building a Mustang, but not sure. 
Is the T-bird gone, or did you just put it on hold? 

Edited by Cam Benty
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mender said:

Not surprised, seen lots of entry level series get turned inside out by rules that seem to lose their way.

Just disappointed that it only took 5 years to go from cheap racing to checkbook racing.

I mean i spent a decent amount this year upgrading from $20 shocks/struts to bilsteins, changing final drive ratio, lightweight wheels, running better tires etc... and im still 7 seconds off pace at the glen. I've got teammates yelling to get the car down from 515 to 500 points and remove like 20lbs of extra metal in the rear end.... like what the hell is that going to do on a  7 second per lap gap. Maybe my car is crap?  At least 1 of my drivers is very good and I'm still not even close. Going to figure it out this winter i hope. 

I also dont get how matts 330ci best lap at the glen is a 2:17 and damson's 323ci is also a 2:17, looking at the glens results. 

Edited by Zimo

When we were at Laguna in 2015, we managed to get fast lap of the weekend with a 1:49.450. That was in my Fiero on Toyo R1Rs; not the best tires even for the time. Last December at Laguna the fast lap of the weekend was a 1:44.686, almost five seconds faster in only three years.

The big jump in speed was from a 2007 Mini Cooper S, a car that was only two years old when Chump started, and of course the Tuttle Motor Sports car, the one that apparently uses drums of race gas at each event. Quite a change in such a short time considering the rules were touted as being stable.

We're thinking of doing Sonoma with our Civic but am still deciding whether it's worth the bother to make it a 500 point car. It's at 521 points right now so not much work needed. On the negative side, we might place reasonably well but there's not much chance of winning against the most recent jump in speed so it doesn't seem worth the time and money. We're basically at the point now that we're going to hit some name tracks and have fun rather than worry about winning at any cost.

I must be getting old. ;) 

Edited by mender
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mender said:

When we were at Laguna in 2015, we managed to get fast lap of the weekend with a 1:49.450. That was in my Fiero on Toyo R1Rs; not the best tires even for the time. Last December at Laguna the fast lap of the weekend was a 1:44.686, almost five seconds faster in only three years.

The big jump in speed was from a 2007 Mini Cooper S, a car that was only two years old when Chump started, and of course the Tuttle Motor Sports car, the one that apparently uses drums of race gas at each event. Quite a change in such a short time considering the rules were touted as being stable.

We're thinking of doing Sonoma with our Civic but am still deciding whether it's worth the bother to make it a 500 point car. It's at 515 points right now so not much work needed. On the negative side, we might place reasonably well but there's not much chance of winning against the most recent jump in speed so it doesn't seem worth the time and money. We're basically at the point now that we're going to hit some name tracks and have fun rather than worry about winning at any cost.

I must be getting old. ;) 

Yeah thats where im stuck, I cant get motivated to make changes if I dont think its going to put us in a position to have a shot of winning.  Feel like i've given up half my weekends for the last 2 years working on this stupid thing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Z32 300z in the pic ?

Yes sir, I do miss the twin turbos. I sold it when i started this 

8 minutes ago, Zimo said:

Yes sir

The only way you will get laptimes as needed will be to go full KSR style, lighten till your car looks like a scooped out melon rind.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zimo said:

I also dont get how matts 330ci best lap at the glen is a 2:17 and damson's 323ci is also a 2:17, looking at the glens results. 

Drivers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1