hotrod

Bernie Myers Running for 2020 ChampCar Board of Directors

23 hours ago, Black Magic said:

Sorry Black Magic I just saw this this morning.

Thanks for asking these questions.

•  Some method of fuel equity\balance. Allow low fuel tank cars to have equal fuel (most likely on a weight basis) to the winning cars at some sort of VPI adjustment (not free)

I think the current method is close. A faster car will most likely not make it two hours while  a lesser powered car would. This was one way for everyone to have a chance at the end of the race. There is a couple of platforms out there that have a large enough tank that they can do a stop only changing a driver therefore losing less laps over anyone  else. This should be monitored and may need an adjustment.

• More than one class of performance, or using the classes to give cars prepped to a lower power\performance level their own group. “Champcar Classic” vs “Champcar” or something like that. As the swap calc target PWR, 500 point car performance, and “weight (cough cough)” were all crept faster to keep popular cars in, the required podium build has crept up. Are you ok with a class built to allow, “real racing real cheap”, for guys wanting to race each other for position at that slower\cheaper\more stock pace.
  • I don't think that is for ChampCar. There are plenty of other series out there for this kind of stuff. ChampCars attraction has been affordable Endurance Racing if anything we need to go back more towards that.
  • Are you willing to give some winning common platforms a penalty lap or a few? Or will you choose to simply give more stuff to existing cars to keep popular\desired cars under 500 (anything over 500 points seen as having a death by some). This could allow a cheaper\slower\easier\safer method of rebalancing the performance of cars without having to creep the speed up each time we rebalance. 
  • The VPI needs to be adjusted instead of giving laps. If a combination does become dominate than the VPI on that car should be raised so the team will have to remove some points. No more free stuff there is too much of it now.
  • Are you willing to look at an alternative system for evaluating swap cars? An example would be a TAC\Tech assigned VPI for any non OE Engine\Trans\Diff\Fuel\Major suspension structure (whole subframe\clip\welded up cars) rather the swap calculator (of dubious input data).
  • Again I think it's close but some items need attention. A header is a header and if used in a swap it shouldn't be free. I know Mike OK'd this in a video but it should be changed. And it's not in the rule book, I believe that every "Unwritten Rule" needs to be in black & white no matter how thick the rule book becomes. And I need to be explained to why a pick up truck & a late model Fiesta is on the VPI list. 
  •  Should we concentrate\price accordingly for races in the popular east and central regions, or use funds from popular regions (aka overcharge) to grow the unpopular regions? Keep watering the tracks with low turnouts hoping to make it finally grow, or make it really strong in the regions we run and try to more gradually head west?
  • That's a tough one because we can't tell what the future will bring. To my knowledge Indy is not sold out yet & last year it took 19 minutes. According to Bill the display at Petite Le-mans & SEMA there was quite a bit of interest lets see if this and other types of advertising raises the field. There looks to be several teams building cars & asking questions on the Forums & Facebook. I don't think a change in entry fee would help, we had a couple Midget Races with a bigger purse and it didn't raise the car count. It's more than money that will attract more teams. What people care more about is after they make their initial investment they don't want to see the costs go up unnecessarily just to keep up.   
  •  What can we do to make the series more inviting to new\casual race teams? Lemons in some regions crushes us in turnout (NJMP has 120+ cars), is part of this because the make the weekend more of a destination event? What can we do to make the social part of this hobby stronger, would this make the turnout and roots for people stronger?
  • A little of this was answered in the previous question. I did one Lemons Race and that was it for me I came to ChumpCar. I believe that that a transparent rule book, consistent race calls and the overall experience are what will bring in more Teams. I was apart of this with our local Midget & Stock Car Races.   
  •  Do you support open sharing of podium car’s specs with the rest of the series, as a check on their legality and to limit long-term technical advantage? Examples being online posting of their log book, tech sheet, swap sheet, pictures of car and any measurements we take as a series (power, weight, etc). Or do you think that knowledge is sacred and people should rely on tech and “spying in person” to figure out legality of competitors and how to improve their car.
  • Are tech sheets being displayed on Podium Cars? We won our class on Saturday at Indy and weren't asked to show it. I would allow Teams to look at cars closer in impound. Crawl under the cars, ask to see the log book, look over the tech sheet, ask to open up panels or doors that are closed. And if possible tech sheets should be available for all to see whether it's online or in person. I would never want to divulge the brand of parts or what type of measurement the team is using because they worked hard for that. 

It appears to me that most of your questions are about parity and growing the series & I'm all for that. As I've stated before we need to bring back a little of the "Chump" we once had. If that means making some unpopular changes then do it now. If we wait it will be to difficult to correct it down the road. Thanks Again, Bernie Myers

Good luck to each of you. I think you are all capable of doing the job well.

2.png

Edited by hotrod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hotrod said:

• More than one class of performance, or using the classes to give cars prepped to a lower power\performance level their own group. “Champcar Classic” vs “Champcar” or something like that. As the swap calc target PWR, 500 point car performance, and “weight (cough cough)” were all crept faster to keep popular cars in, the required podium build has crept up. Are you ok with a class built to allow, “real racing real cheap”, for guys wanting to race each other for position at that slower\cheaper\more stock pace.
  • I don't think that is for ChampCar. There are plenty of other series out there for this kind of stuff. ChampCars attraction has been affordable Endurance Racing if anything we need to go back more towards that.

Great response! 

• Thanks 2

Bernie,

Thanks for the responses. Two of them I think we might have misunderstood each other. Just to check: 

1) Making a lower powered class was suggested to allow an option for cars built and prepped more affordably, like was the norm in the past. Are you suggesting a return to the performance levels of the past for all cars in one class, keeping the performance\builds where they are now all in one class, or allowing a class for both? Think back to when M20 e30s were run totally stock and that was considered a podium car, are you suggesting moving the VPI's to make that happen, leaving it where it is now and allowing m50 e30 swaps, or having classes based on power\speed\prep so people aren't forced to build their car to M50 e30 BMW speed (or could choose to pull out the checkbook and run at that pace). 

2) I was trying to ask if you would support VPI raises above 500 (and thus laps) for cars that exceed the performance of the field, or would you rather give more stuff via lower VPI to the rest of the field to re balance. For example, if we ever make the swap weight for the e30 not ludicrous the m50 swaps will be over 500 points; would you leave that value over 500 (and they get laps because of their value being over 500) or would you give the rest of the field lower VPI values? The norm so far for popular cars has been to bend to their will if enough teams run that package, to keep the paying customers from having a value over 500 (and thus some amount of laps). This has been one of the primary reason for the speed creep, demands for lower vpi values on select cars and gamesmanship of the swap input data (the numbers formerly known as "weight").

I hope whatever happens in the elections stay active in the community. I hope all 4 of you guys do, we need you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Magic said:

Bernie,

Thanks for the responses. Two of them I think we might have misunderstood each other. Just to check: 

1) Making a lower powered class was suggested to allow an option for cars built and prepped more affordably, like was the norm in the past. Are you suggesting a return to the performance levels of the past for all cars in one class, keeping the performance\builds where they are now all in one class, or allowing a class for both? Think back to when M20 e30s were run totally stock and that was considered a podium car, are you suggesting moving the VPI's to make that happen, leaving it where it is now and allowing m50 e30 swaps, or having classes based on power\speed\prep so people aren't forced to build their car to M50 e30 BMW speed (or could choose to pull out the checkbook and run at that pace). 

1) I don't see adding another class & it can't stay the way it is now. There are many issues that have created the differential in speed. Areo is too cheap points wise. No other modification is as cheap yet creates the biggest performance gain. So it's not just the VPI it's the points you can take for modifications. Some reasonably fast cars were put on the VPI table and to make up the difference other cars were lowered so they could add to the car to make up the difference. All this did was raise the cost to race. My car was 375 now it's 325. Why ? It's the same car. The A, B,C, D, EC Classes work just fine the VPI & Parts Index just needs to be corrected to close up the field. 

2) I was trying to ask if you would support VPI raises above 500 (and thus laps) for cars that exceed the performance of the field, or would you rather give more stuff via lower VPI to the rest of the field to re balance. For example, if we ever make the swap weight for the e30 not ludicrous the m50 swaps will be over 500 points; would you leave that value over 500 (and they get laps because of their value being over 500) or would you give the rest of the field lower VPI values? The norm so far for popular cars has been to bend to their will if enough teams run that package, to keep the paying customers from having a value over 500 (and thus some amount of laps). This has been one of the primary reason for the speed creep, demands for lower vpi values on select cars and gamesmanship of the swap input data (the numbers formerly known as "weight").

2) I would not support  raising VPI above 500. Lowering the VPI for cars to catch up costs teams more money and even discourages them from running. I do not support bending to anyone's will because many teams want to run a certain package. Over 500 point should be penalized laps or put into EC.

I hope whatever happens in the elections stay active in the community. I hope all 4 of you guys do, we need you. 

• Like 1

Let's Talk Tech..........I typed out a lengthy response to a couple questions only to have the tread removed before I posted. In a nut shell:

1. Impound should provide Protest sheets. I will see this gets done. It's up to a sanctioning body to provide a rule book, enforce the rules fairly to everyone equally,  provide constant race calls, (not saying they don't it's part of the job) , and provide help with protests. We are self policing & if someone cannot easily have a protest then whats the use of having one.

2. If a team is told it is OK to do something it needs to be added as a supplement to the  rules so it's in black & white for all to see. No more unwritten rules. I don't care how "Thick" the rule book gets.

3. What tools does Tech need to do their job? If I have to I will pay for all the items needed. Simple bore & stroke measuring tools. Would a bore-a-scope be handy? At the end of a long day no one wants to do a tear down but if all a team has to do is remove a spark plug then checking engine size become quick & easy.

4. I don't remember what number 4 was I first wrote this several hours ago.  :)

IMG_1093.jpg

Bore tool.jpg

Stroke gauge.jpg

• Like 3

Protest are only $50 so I guess I'll keep the tip..............or is a two for one deal?

Other then that I like your thoughts and I have a bore scope in the trailer if anybody needs one.

• Like 1

Well the results are in & I didn't make it on the BoD  this year. No doubt the Russians & Ukraine were involved again!

On a serious note I learned much this go round & will try again next year. 

Above all I think that the conversations that Chris Huggins and I have brought up have made an impact on the other Board Members and have moved them to make some much needed changes.

Thanks to everyone that voted for me!

Congrats to both Doc & Tyler for getting reelected.  

See you at the track & remember Bernie 2021!........................

Edited by hotrod
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, hotrod said:

On a serious note I learned much this go round & will try again next year. 

That is great to hear!

• Like 1

Bernie, please run again!  Thank you for running and having the passion.  

• Like 4