Firefoam around fire system lines? Will it pinch the lines?

turbogrill

9 hours ago, cagedruss said:

When you see the black vinyl covered lines there are actually aluminum. They have to be metal to be legally. Plastic world melt in a fire and wouldn't be effective. 

If you have or see plastic lines then it isn't a legal system.

That makes 100% sense!

Thanks 

40 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

I would think those lines failed long after the driver was out?

The reports i read stated they pulled the fire bottle and nothing happened  because the lines were melted ill see if i can find the one i remember reading here. It may be i misread them too.

Found it.

"Travis did everything right - he pulled off the track - he attempted to release the fire suppression system twice (the flames were so hot the fittings and tubing disintegrated and did not function)"

Edited by Gkuhn41
Added Link
  • Thanks 1

Might be some accentuating circumstances. Fuel flashes at or around 660 F and aluminum stats to melt at 1220 F. 

Also I have seen people use steel braid Teflon hose. I would not use that either. Teflon melts at 550 F.

Routing the tubing to protect the it during an accident or fire is very important. In critical areas around fuel injection lines or turbos I would use heat sleeve material from Aeroquip or other suppliers. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 8:00 PM, cagedruss said:

When you see the black vinyl covered lines there are actually aluminum. They have to be metal to be legally. Plastic world melt in a fire and wouldn't be effective. 

If you have or see plastic lines then it isn't a legal system.

I got mine directly from a series provider in 2013.

Will check my lines and may be updating, thanks and I should have thought of that myself.

Update: vinyl covered aluminum lines. Thinking of upgrading to steel.

Edited by mender

On 9/24/2019 at 10:04 AM, Gkuhn41 said:

The reports i read stated they pulled the fire bottle and nothing happened  because the lines were melted ill see if i can find the one i remember reading here. It may be i misread them too.

Found it.

"Travis did everything right - he pulled off the track - he attempted to release the fire suppression system twice (the flames were so hot the fittings and tubing disintegrated and did not function)"

They didn't really melt, they simply crumbled and broke apart.  The tubing and fittings just shattered apart from the bottle, all through the cockpit.  The bottle was directly over top of the source of the fire, so perhaps that was a contributing factor?  But yeah, he pulled the handle and no relief.  We plan to put steel ones in the next car.

1 hour ago, snowman said:

They didn't really melt, they simply crumbled and broke apart.  The tubing and fittings just shattered apart from the bottle, all through the cockpit.  The bottle was directly over top of the source of the fire, so perhaps that was a contributing factor?  But yeah, he pulled the handle and no relief.  We plan to put steel ones in the next car.

That doesn’t sound correct.  Even if all lines were melted and the release is triggered it will at minimum spurt out of the bottle.  It sounds more like the trigger mechanism failed, maybe because the fire was right underneath it?

• Technical Advisory Committee

The bottle was still charged as I squeezed the handle on it when it was brought to the paddock. I believe the remote cable failed or was frozen . 

Leave a little slack in your cable so you can check that they move freely ,some lubricant upon cable installation and maintenance would not hurt . Troy had his cable's frozen on the Biohazard Mr2 and could not activate his system when it caught fire a couple of years ago  ... Again , Check your cables as part of your maintenance routine. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ray Franck said:

The bottle was still charged as I squeezed the handle on it when it was brought to the paddock. I believe the remote cable failed or was frozen . 

Leave a little slack in your cable so you can check that they move freely ,some lubricant upon cable installation and maintenance would not hurt . Troy had his cable's frozen on the Biohazard Mr2 and could not activate his system when it caught fire a couple of years ago  ... Again , Check your cables as part of your maintenance routine. 

Thats a great point.  Something to add to the checklist.