Aleru

The Sebring 14 Hour

1 hour ago, krispykritter said:

I'm far more surprised I didn't notice. Our contour weighs in at 2800 lbs before you put the driver in,

...and I see comments on how "light" an e30 is!

I have taken ours out to Spec e30 races (2700lb requirement post sprint race) and we are sitting at 2670 with 160lb driver and 30mins of fuel missing. Obviously it was DQ'd for being under weight, but was curious how it paced/weighed with other Spec e30's. We have never "skinned" the car, we prefer to have rigid doors/hood/trunk over a floppy exterior, though. That same weekend there was another ChampCar who entered and he was in the upper 2500's - unsure of how much fuel he had, I topped off prior to the sprint.

Edited by WOT-Tech
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WOT-Tech said:

...and I see comments on how "light" an e30 is!

I have taken ours out to Spec e30 races (2700lb requirement post sprint race) and we are sitting at 2670 with 160lb driver and 30mins of fuel missing. Obviously it was DQ'd for being under weight, but was curious how it paced/weighed with other Spec e30's. We have never "skinned" the car, we prefer to have rigid doors/hood/trunk over a floppy exterior, though. That same weekend there was another ChampCar who entered and he was in the upper 2500's - unsure of how much fuel he had, I topped off prior to the sprint.

That's a good data point. I'm always amazed at how lots of the e30s walk away from us on the straights. I'd love to get our car down to 2600 or so before adding the driver, but it would definitely require a lot of metal removal, and we're not really sure we want to remove that much structure!  Still, lightness is the only path to free horsepower in these parts.... 

• Like 1

@mcoppola no problem at all, I have to admit I did not get to meet him personally, I *think* I saw him around hour #3 but never got a chance to say hi, but I know he was chatting with a couple of our crew. I was really hoping Casey would get to talk to him (I believe he did...), as he is a Focus guy too.

Where to start with the weekend. The learning never stops, I can tell you that... 

I'll begin to apply a more engineered approach to our race day. We are reasonably organized, but still too many loose ends. I always make "a list" the night before, but the problem is, I need a fixed list that gets posted on the windshield, with sign off, the night before the race. I'll leave blank lines to add stuff as needed, but our routine never changes. You know what changes? The idiot with the pen that forgets to write stuff down. If I was an employee, I'd have fired myself. Under pace laps, I just had this uneasy feeling then it hit me like a ton of bricks - "I forgot to plug in the mother f'n transponder." I've never been so mad at myself. I sprint to race check-in to get us black flagged, sprint back to the pits, just in time to see the green drop. Fortunately our first driver got the black flag and came in at the completion of his first lap. We went from a top 20 starting position do D.A.L. and about 1:30 behind the field (I reviewed the video to see lost time).

Fortunately driver #1 Greg, and driver #2 Tony were very consistent and worked traffic nice and patiently. After our 2nd stop we were up to 4th over all and continued to bounce around the top 10 depending on pit cycles. Somewhere on Mike's stint, we picked up "an issue" that slowed the car slightly. I got in, ran my stint while trying to figure it out, motor felt "flat". Plug wire? Opti? Coil? Voltage? I make my pit stop and we start our second round of drivers and then just like good ol times, either a shift key or shift fork broke and hung the trans up in neutral. Why can't it get stuck in gear??? Certainly not pulling and rebuilding a T56 mid-race, so it was Miller Time. Doing some research on this issue, which is a common one - guess what a common theme seems to be? China parts! Look like I need to get on the hunt for real US sourced parts. Imagine that. After car was parked, come to find out, we had a rocker come loose, I should say THE rocker come loose as it's a repeat offender (new rocker & stud, same position that had issues previously). It has to be a weak spring or a lifter sticking in the bore or something.

On a positive note, the handling improvements are really beginning to show... Tony, who is a regular, bested his fastest lap in the Camaro @ Sebring by almost a solid 3 seconds. I was managing to run 2:40's literally on 7 cylinders in the heat of the day. In addition to this, we have concocted a few more braking/suspension improvements to implement, so pretty happy about that. Live stream worked flawless all day, will write up a quick note on that in the Live Video Stream channel.

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Snake said:

Not exactly, we drove the car around and into the trailer. 

Hated to see you guys and the RSX drop out around 160 lap mark for B class. You guys were our rabbits for the race and doing our best to stay within a lap of y'all (969 Accord). I'm still in shock we won B because our only objective is to go out and finish the race while having fun. It's a big reunion for friends/family any time we race so it was just awesome that we were able to pull that out. We only had a few minor hiccups outside of the AFR being at 10 and bogging the car down most of the race. Made a fuel pressure adjustment halfway through and it seemed to help but def need to get the car re-tuned. 

- Super rad to see the Embry Riddle crew pass tech and get out on track 

- WTF BMW - close to halfway point, turn 13.....WTF?

- Was cool to see Cletus McFarland out there with KSR

- Solstice team - had some great racing with you guys! 

- White Miata with blue racing stripes - same as above. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dirtybird222 said:

Hated to see you guys and the RSX drop out around 160 lap mark for B class. You guys were our rabbits for the race and doing our best to stay within a lap of y'all (969 Accord). I'm still in shock we won B because our only objective is to go out and finish the race while having fun. It's a big reunion for friends/family any time we race so it was just awesome that we were able to pull that out. We only had a few minor hiccups outside of the AFR being at 10 and bogging the car down most of the race. Made a fuel pressure adjustment halfway through and it seemed to help but def need to get the car re-tuned. 

- Super rad to see the Embry Riddle crew pass tech and get out on track 

- WTF BMW - close to halfway point, turn 13.....WTF?

- Was cool to see Cletus McFarland out there with KSR

- Solstice team - had some great racing with you guys! 

- White Miata with blue racing stripes - same as above. 

I'm guessing you are referring to the Mazda.   It was crashed by a renter. 

The Cobra is everyone's rabbit.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Here's a public service request that might benefit some of you in the next race.  If anyone knows the Cap'n of the #352 car, please ask them to review with their drivers the double yellow procedure.   During the first stint, the timing couldn't have been worse for the Miata I was following and me to collect that car at the exit of T1 as the yellows were thrown.  We proceeded to trail him, in second gear, for the remainder of that lap.  We pulled up on either side of him to wave the driver forward and urge to pick up pace, weaved to get attention, nothing.   Had I been the first car behind, I would have gone past at a corner station and claimed it obviously appeared the car must have been having a mechanical issue.  (except that driver was pointing out at each flag stand as if to remind us why we were in the wrong.)   I don't know how many cars were eventually stacked behind us but I imagine a few of them might have captured video of just where I thought the driver ranked in my book...   Those who know me realize it's atypical of me but when one ill-informed person can ruin strategy for so many others, it's maddening.

So frustrating, especially when it is covered in every driver's meeting and the message has become so simplified.  "If you aren't at the scene of the incident and there's not someone immediately ahead of you, speed up your pace everywhere else until you're on someone's bumper."

(And when there's a Conga Line formed behind you and you're not the one with the flashy lights on your roof, you might be doing something the wrong way...)

Vent closed.

Thanks!

It was a great event put on by the CC staff and the at-pace driving was great across the field with a few minor exceptions.  Thank you for a very enjoyable time.

As for our race, we were happy with the pace we were showing in climbing from the bottom starting spots but concerned with a brake pedal that continued to go long and wasn't a pad knock-back normal feel.   (Not a problem we've ever encountered in 10+ years in SM running faster pace).

It culminated in a significant brake issue/incident midway that determined our retirement that I won't detail here further but it will be very interesting to learn what happens next when we deliver the components back to the Mfr...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kevin B said:

Here's a public service request that might benefit some of you in the next race.  If anyone knows the Cap'n of the #352 car, please ask them to review with their drivers the double yellow procedure.   During the first stint, the timing couldn't have been worse for the Miata I was following and me to collect that car at the exit of T1 as the yellows were thrown.  We proceeded to trail him, in second gear, for the remainder of that lap.  We pulled up on either side of him to wave the driver forward and urge to pick up pace, weaved to get attention, nothing.   Had I been the first car behind, I would have gone past at a corner station and claimed it obviously appeared the car must have been having a mechanical issue.  (except that driver was pointing out at each flag stand as if to remind us why we were in the wrong.)   I don't know how many cars were eventually stacked behind us but I imagine a few of them might have captured video of just where I thought the driver ranked in my book...   Those who know me realize it's atypical of me but when one ill-informed person can ruin strategy for so many others, it's maddening.

So frustrating, especially when it is covered in every driver's meeting and the message has become so simplified.  "If you aren't at the scene of the incident and there's not someone immediately ahead of you, speed up your pace everywhere else until you're on someone's bumper."

(And when there's a Conga Line formed behind you and you're not the one with the flashy lights on your roof, you might be doing something the wrong way...)

Vent closed.

We specifically asked for Dana to reiterate it in the driver's meeting (because he had ALREADY stated it), and he went into great detail. Clearly, people don't listen and I believe the only solution is to black flag and penalize those teams. 

Edited by Snorman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I normally am the guy "asking a question" just to make sure it is said twice, 2 different ways, this time I did not ask as he did a great dissertation on the matter, sorry to see it still ignored.

Perhaps the drivers meeting should start with this where everyone's interest is peak?

Perhaps instruct the flaggers to call in but not penalize those going around such cars?

Both?

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Snake said:

I'm guessing you are referring to the Mazda.   It was crashed by a renter. 

The Cobra is everyone's rabbit.  

Yes, the Mazda, B Class.....hopefully you have a rental agreement for liability of damages.

You run a Cobra too? Didn't see it....sorry not sorry 🤷‍♂️

Edited by dirtybird222

30 minutes ago, dirtybird222 said:

Yes, the Mazda, B Class.....hopefully you have a rental agreement for liability of damages.

You run a Cobra too? Didn't see it....sorry not sorry 🤷‍♂️

Yeah we have full rental agreement, tore the car down a bit last night and we will rebuild!

2 hours ago, Kevin B said:

Here's a public service request that might benefit some of you in the next race.  If anyone knows the Cap'n of the #352 car, please ask them to review with their drivers the double yellow procedure.  

Which car was that?  for me it was the Beetle.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jester8ball said:

I saw a couple professional photographers around. This was our first race, wondering if those pics get posted somewhere, does anyone know?

I spoke to them and they said the pics would be given to Champcar for them to post. it was the 2 guys in orange vests i spoke to. caught them at Pit in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it was turn 13, late in my 3:00 to 5:00 stint, a blue BMW dive bombed me on the right, only to lock them up after he missed the apex, and go sideways directly in front of me.  I was carrying speed out of the turn, but was able to miss him and avoid the T-bone.  There were no cars directly behind me, so no one else was endangered.  That was about the most exciting incident.  Whew!  Thanks to Inactiv Motorsports for allowing me to participate and scratch one item off my bucket list.  (Last time I was at Sebring, there were  B-17s lined up where the old outer back straight used to be when it was 5.2 miles . . . Old? . . . s-h-h-h-h)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, ad3adman said:

I spoke to them and they said the pics would be given to Champcar for them to post. it was the 2 guys in orange vests i spoke to. caught them at Pit in. 

That was me and my son, here is a link to the galleries: https://speedshooters.photoshelter.com/gallery-collection/Champcar/C0000zrQ2pE5RTcs 

Edited by SpeedShooters
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Aquafi Racing said:

What is the metallic option on your photos ?  There are some great shots

It has a surface that is very glossy but looks like it is on a silver base. It is still paper/resin but not a metal print, which is actually printed on aluminium sheet stock.

8 minutes ago, SpeedShooters said:

It has a surface that is very glossy but looks like it is on a silver base. It is still paper/resin but not a metal print, which is actually printed on aluminium sheet stock.

Thank you, I will be ordering a large one for my office.  Great work by the way

5 hours ago, dirtybird222 said:

Any package deals to get all images of a team? 

I have been able to create a package for downloading 10 images, however all 10 slots have to be filled with an image AND it is only from a single gallery. Not a very user friendly process either. If you want me too I can add that to a gallery, just let me know. It also lowers the price by $5.90 over the individual image downloads.

18 hours ago, MoparBoyy said:

Yeah we have full rental agreement, tore the car down a bit last night and we will rebuild!

Which car was that?  for me it was the Beetle.

We had a new driver in the car who hasn’t run an event before. I apologize on his behalf. I guess he wasn’t paying attention in the drivers meeting 🙄.

I had the same issue with a slower, red Miata. He was probably a full half mile from catching up to the pack under FCY. I was waving and pointing to him non stop try get him to speedup -to No avail.  The same car pulled a few sketchy moves trying to block me while I was trying to get by him. He doesn’t know how close he was to getting punted out of the way. And I don’t drive like that!

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 6:53 PM, Jester8ball said:

I saw a couple professional photographers around. This was our first race, wondering if those pics get posted somewhere, does anyone know?

see post number 1

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jbbugs said:

We had a new driver in the car who hasn’t run an event before. I apologize on his behalf. I guess he wasn’t paying attention in the drivers meeting 🙄.

At this point it doesn't matter for this race, but since one of our cars is a rental team always announce over the radio to our drivers "Full course yellow, make sure you catch up to the car in front of you"

Its a habit every team should get into.  As it might not have affected your race, I was currently 3rd overall in the Cobra, catching the 2nd place car.  I closed the gap down to something like 15 seconds.  After the full course yellow was over, the gap had gone up to 55 seconds and everything i had worked on for the past 30 mins was gone.    

Edited by MoparBoyy
  • Like 2