Sorry if there is another thread that covers this exact topic. I've done a search and can't find any good topics past trying to sort through 10,000 different posts!

Our season is officially over an we are starting prep to make the trek down to Daytona in the spring. Want to put the car away nice and cozy before the snow flies and then just be ready to pull it out in April as it could be very likely snow still on the ground at that point!

Any tips or tricks? Is there anything the track is particularly hard on? Right wheel bearings? Abnormal Tire wear? How much is fuel consumption up from other "normal" tracks? Is hauling the car down from speed into T1 and bus stop pretty hard on brakes (big brake wear?)?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

Any tips or tricks?

Not bad on tires or brakes, bring your top speed gears as there are 40+ sec of continuous WOT each lap.

Banking:

If below 70mph for a caution, step off the banking onto the apron to avoid feeling as if you are falling out the drivers window.

Fast cars go high, slower, stay low, always leave a car width between you and the wall to let someone by, you may not feel/hear/see em coming.

Infield:

Horseshoe is slippery and tight, after that, fast, hold your line for others to pass till you get the hang of it.

Blackflag is on your left directly before re-entering the oval

Bus Stop:

braking from the back straight is where many get in trouble, others mess up in the middle, a fast car is exiting @ 90mph, watch videos

Overall:

Not real technical

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 3

Daytona is exceptionally easy on our car (e30, 2700lb wet, 205/50 maxxis tires, Hawk DTC 70/60 pads). Only thing we can offer is bring lots of fuel. We burned about 40 more gallons at DIS in spring vs SIR this weekend. Top speed gearing is where it's at, provided you can reach it between the bus stop and S/F line. Be prepared to draft when you can, saves fuel and reduces lap times.

Good luck!

-Cancer sucks, bring your car to KRFL event and help families forget they have a sick child...even if it's for the weekend....

-J

• Like 2
On 9/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, thewheelerZ said:

Sorry if there is another thread that covers this exact topic. I've done a search and can't find any good topics past trying to sort through 10,000 different posts!

Our season is officially over an we are starting prep to make the trek down to Daytona in the spring. Want to put the car away nice and cozy before the snow flies and then just be ready to pull it out in April as it could be very likely snow still on the ground at that point!

Any tips or tricks? Is there anything the track is particularly hard on? Right wheel bearings? Abnormal Tire wear? How much is fuel consumption up from other "normal" tracks? Is hauling the car down from speed into T1 and bus stop pretty hard on brakes (big brake wear?)?

The track is surprisingly easy on cars, fuel consumption is on the higher end but not like Road America. No, the track is easy on brakes IMO

I agree with the garage rental being a good idea. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

What about lights?  From videos, the track looks pretty lit up.  I just ordered a pair of Diode Dynamics 6" "SAE Driving".  Can I get away with those, or should i be looking to get something point at apexes too?

The track has been well lit the times I have gone. Probably one of the tracks you can get away with less than stellar lights. 

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

What about lights?  From videos, the track looks pretty lit up.  I just ordered a pair of Diode Dynamics 6" "SAE Driving".  Can I get away with those, or should i be looking to get something point at apexes too?

We have an LED light bar, but don't use it at Daytona. The stock headlights are adequate.

7 hours ago, thewheelerZ said:

Can you ever have too much lighting? But I agree on previous comments. Actually it is a good place to experiment with lighting, if you screw up and miss the mark is isn't like screwing up at VIR or Sebring where you think you are going to die.

9 hours ago, ablesnead said:

I thought we had a max lumen restriction  is that gone away now ?

2020 BCR:

9.9.1. For Daytime Events: Headlights may remain in or on the vehicle, however all glass must be taped or covered during the event. 9.9.2. For Night-time Events: All cars must be equipped with suitable headlights. Headlights may be OEM or aftermarket. Cars having more than four (4) light sources mounted on the car, whether working or wired for use, will be required to COMPLETELY REMOVE all lights above the count of four (4). 9.9.2.1. CONVENTIONAL BULBS: 9.9.2.1.1. No single light bulb or light source shall exceed 60W for H3 or H4 bulbs, or 35W for HID bulbs. 9.9.2.1.2. Bulbs must match the housing and lens that they were originally designed for. 9.9.2.1.3. No vehicle may have mounted less than two (2) or more than four (4) headlights. A headlight is defined by the number of illuminating bulbs or sources – not by the housing. 9.9.2.2. LED FIXTURES: 9.9.2.2.1. Cars equipped with LED head- or driving-lights shall be restricted to a maximum of 8,000 Lumens. Teams using LED lights MUST have documentation to prove Lumen data. 9.9.2.3. Combined Lighting Sources: cars using a combination of BOTH H3/H4/HID and LED lights shall be limited to a maximum of 4,000 Lumens of LED lighting and no more than two (2) lighting sources using conventional H3, H4 or HID lights. 9.9.2.4. All headlights must be installed such that the base of the driving light lens is NO HIGHER than six inches (6”) above the highest point of the stock front fender and, NO FURTHER BACK than the centerline of the front axle. 9.9.2.5. Headlights must be aimed properly, such that all light is directed at track level. 9.9.2.6. Cars not meeting these requirements, or with improperly aimed, or blinding lights shall be black flagged and brought in to add, repair, or adjust lights to meet this requirement.