The precedent of “you can use headers to make your swap work” has been around since before the ecotech miatas.

It’s a shame that the people in charge back then said “yes” so much. It would have been great if tech had said “you better get a big hammer and start swinging” the first time someone came and said “I need this non-OE exhaust manifold because my swapped engine won’t fit”.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, enginerd said:

It’s a shame that the people in charge back then said “yes” so much.

Indeed.  Like when they made springs and bushings free and allowed E30 suspension geometry to be changed for Free  if you use a die grinder. And used convertible weights for swaps  and and and.   Seems like the exhaust manifold allowance is just another turd in the pile.        😀

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Indeed.  Like when they made springs and bushings free and allowed E30 suspension geometry to be changed for Free  if you use a die grinder. And used convertible weights for swaps  and and and.   Seems like the exhaust manifold allowance is just another turd in the pile.        😀

I think there is a key difference in most of the items you reference, except the convertible weight (that was definitely bogus).  In the rest, the rules were changed.  In this situation, the rules still say you have to run the stock part with a swap or pay points.  For the most part I'd shut up if they'd just be up front about it.  As it stands, I wonder what other special rules I don't know about.

Here's where I insert a joke about the Opel getting free fuel capacity, but then again maybe I haven't been around long enough for it to be funny...

Edited by Grufton
my brother said I hadn't offended enough of the staff yet