My buddy tested them against Falken Azenis on a Miata at Sebring at the Kids Racing for Life event last year, 205/50-15. Same driver, blind test, both sets brand new and the Maxxis were consistently faster. Now I am curious about the rs4's.

3 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

You mean participation award winners

I'm impressed you were able to articulate an insult, you should add that to your signature block. 

4 hours ago, Gkuhn41 said:

Serious note, who has ran these and how do they compare to the RS4's performance wise.

We've run two 7s and a 14 with the VR-1s. They are subpar in comparrison to the RS-3s which we had prior. They wear much faster and also get pretty "greasy" after a few hours of run time.  We could get a solid 40 hours of race time out of the RS-3s with rotating them periodically. The VR-1s stamina is nowhere near as close.  

13 minutes ago, dirtybird222 said:

I'm impressed you were able to articulate an insult, you should add that to your signature block. 

Green font = sarcasm 

But thank you anyways for the comparison. 

4 hours ago, collinskl1 said:

If I recall correctly, there is a newly released "V2" revision of the tire that is allegedly designed to be closer to the competitors' pace.

On the Maxxis website it does show an "S2" new compound note in when you select the S2 tire: 

S2 denotes sizes featuring our new and improved S2 compound. Maxxis does not advise mixing S1 and S2 compound tires on the same axle.

9 minutes ago, Team Infiniti said:

Anyone know if the s2 is just a compound or entire re-do

I emailed every person at Maxxis who's contact I had multiple times, and didn't get any answer to that question. It was early in the year, so they may know more now? 

We ran the S2 at Utah and the life was terrible (we ran the S1 exclusively for the previous 2 years), however it was our first time there and everyone else was having tire issues too, so probably not a good evaluation of the tire. 

Still, I gave them one more chance to keep me as a customer and got no reply...moving on to RS4's

I make every team decision based on value/$. With the contingency (and WRL's deal was better than CC's) I could justify the lower performance with the lower cost, but not with so many questions. 

Maybe Bill can get an answer to that question. 

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 55mini said:

Sure going to push my memory,  either 225x45x15 or 245x40x15. I can look tonight and let you know for sure.

Our goal was to see if using them would get us on the podium and free tires.

I know you tested 245s because it was in the middle of the Hankook shipping debacle this past year. 

6 hours ago, mcoppola said:

GWR was 1 of the first teams to go to 245-40-15's when all that was available were Maxxis in that size. @Hi_Im_Will might be able to share his experience, but he's not on here much any more. (probably wisely)

Will had MAJOR chunking issues when he used Maxxis. I know he now runs different compounds. 

On 9/26/2019 at 3:46 PM, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I know you tested 245s because it was in the middle of the Hankook shipping debacle this past year. 

Will had MAJOR chunking issues when he used Maxxis. I know he now runs different compounds. 

We did, they sucked.  Will trade left overs for beer....but would probably be Schlitz or worse worthy for us to not feel like we cheated you!🤣