ChampCar.Live 8-Hour - Saturday

Post Race Impound Interviews

Full Show

ChampCar.Live 7-Hour

Post Race Impound Interview

https://youtu.be/BITnX3mP0cE 

Full Show

• Like 1

Love Racing had an absolute blast! This was our 6th race as a team and was our best performance yet. Saturday was 2nd in A class and 7th over all. Sunday was 2nd in A class again and 4th over all. 

On Saturday the morning rain helped us out a bit as the more powerful cars were taking it easy and we worked up to a pretty good position by the end of our second stint. We were able to hold it there until we got two black flags in the middle and end of the race for passing under yellow (newer drivers for this course, bad radio comms). The second one unfortunately cost us 1st in A class to car #800 that day after Winkler Motorsports went out. Good, hard, clean racing from all our drivers. No offs or contact at all! We focused on consistency and speed through traffic.

Sunday started with a damp track and our first driver was doing the smart thing and being cautious and preserving the car. I got in the car for the second stint just as it dried (very lucky) and was able to bring us up to 3rd in A and 7th overall (I think). Third driver made up a position in both A and over all. Our team owner was able to bring the car home in 2nd in A and 4th over all with a slipping clutch and losing a bit of front end grip. We were watching the track like a hawk for black flags from the top of our trailer this time and were able to give our drivers live update on the flags. We had no penalties or contacts, and only one off. We also had three perfect pit stops. Very hard, clean racing the with Cowabunghole RX7, Lone Star Ralycross Miata, and the Yard Sale Racing Mustang. You guys made my stint an absolute blast and gave us a hell of a challenge.

The cars suspension was able to handle the bumps with aplomb, even when the rear end leaves the ground on the right side of the track up the hill. We are missing a bit of down force on the front of the car, and are still working out our alignment up there as well so the car understeers a bit more than we would like at the limit. This does, however, make it very easy to drive consistently, especially in traffic.

Overall our best race yet. Yeah the paddock/pit situation sucks, and the bumps beat the hell out of you, but Harris Hill is our home track and it is the team favorite so far. 

A class driving from everyone out there. Tons of room was left for us and we returned the favor. Thanks guys! I will say that the Blue Focus was either a bit too aggressive at closing the door on us or just didn't see us in their side mirrors more than a few times.

Edited by KoneKillah
Grammar
  • Like 1

My second race at H2R with the 997 Bradley Fighting vehicle Yellow Miata..

Did the opening stints on both days and had an absolute blast, the car was very good, and we were close to top 5 on Pace.. Unfortunately, I lost the brakes going into Mustang on Saturday, which was quite an experience, and we lost both our rear wheel hubs, one on Saturday and one on Sunday.. All these meant we weren't in contention for anything, but still had a blast going wheel to wheel with everyone, good clean racing out there this weekend, lot of awareness shown by everyone...

Also got my first wet weather experience, can't say I really enjoyed it, but to start with, it was nice to drive the car with the gas and zero to opposite steering everywhere... A fast lurid oversteer moment in T1 spooked me good and I started hating it from that point on!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Karkai6 said:

Did the opening stints on both days and had an absolute blast, the car was very good, and we were close to top 5 on Pace.. Unfortunately, I lost the brakes going into Mustang on Saturday, which was quite an experience, and we lost both our rear wheel hubs, one on Saturday and one on Sunday..

What was the root cause? This is terrifying! You guys were fun to race with for sure.

2 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Weld em

Welded it after the Saturday race. Sunday, the muffler case broke from us hammering the joint back on the day before :facepalm: 

"No F****** way!" was said over and over on Sunday, when we got the call that the car got loud again..

• Sad 2

On 9/30/2019 at 9:30 AM, KoneKillah said:

A class driving from everyone out there. Tons of room was left for us and we returned the favor. Thanks guys! I will say that the Blue Focus was either a bit too aggressive at closing the door on us or just didn't see us in their side mirrors more than a few times.

Sorry about that.  It wasn't aggressive driving.  We managed to break our passenger side mirror unloading on Friday and amazingly enough, duct-tape & zip-ties weren't getting it done.  We had very spotty visibility on that side which really sucks as most passing tends to happen the right.  I am only aware two minor contact incidents with our car this weekend.  I'd rather have zero, but it was much cleaner racing than what we experienced in March.

Ironically, 997 losing it's wheel on Sunday probably saved our car.  During the full course caution, I had to slow down enough that I noticed a slight vibration in the left front wheel.  Apparently two of the wheel studs had decided to fully seat in the middle of my stint, leaving two of the four lugs with no tension.  A few more hot laps and it probably would have failed catastrophically.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had a pretty good run with whoever was in your Focus near mid-day.  After the hub issues, there’s no telling what the alignment was like, and the car had a weird bucking motion getting into Mustang if I didn’t have the wheel perfectly straight while braking.

I let him by, because he was faster on the straights, and I didn’t want to burn off the left side tires trying to stay in front.  After letting him by, I was able to ease into the braking zones better, and we had a good time slicing through traffic, right up to the red flag, if I remember right!

Edited by racerfink

On 10/1/2019 at 7:13 PM, brakingbadly said:

Sorry about that.  It wasn't aggressive driving.  We managed to break our passenger side mirror unloading on Friday and amazingly enough, duct-tape & zip-ties weren't getting it done.  We had very spotty visibility on that side which really sucks as most passing tends to happen the right.  I am only aware two minor contact incidents with our car this weekend.  I'd rather have zero, but it was much cleaner racing than what we experienced in March.

All good man! I appreciate hard racing. I just got frustrated a few times because tapping the brakes in our little 1.6 in the wrong place can blow a lap. 90 hp can only do so much!

My Team Unintended Acceleration in the old red Audi had a great race.  Shout out to @Bill Strong for chatting with us and putting the camera in our car for Saturday.  Too bad the camera had issues during the 3rd session of rain when I was in the car.  Rain is a great equalizer and the only advantage we have with quattro!  I had a blast powering around many cars in the wet since we can stay on the throttle most of the time.  I had a few times where the car got really sideways but keeping the pedal mashed and a little oppo lock and the car never spun.  Super fun and it allowed us to make up several places!   We ended up 11th both days, so at least we're consistent.  

Lots of great, clean racing by all the teams this weekend and the Champcar staff put on another incredible race.  Shout out to Harris Hill Raceway for all the hard work they did to get the facility ready and allowing us to have a really fun, chill weekend.  

Also, congrats to our Audi friends Pure Black Racing in their fwd Audi A4 for the 3rd place overall.  You guys worked really hard to get the car ready and running well, plus some consistent clean driving earned you a top spot.  Super proud of you guys!

• Like 1

Pure Black Racing had a really super weekend of racing.  We were 3rd overall on Saturday, and 3rd in Class B.

When was the last time 3 Class B cars were 1, 2, and 3 overall?  Then on Sunday, we were running well in the

top 10, until our entire passenger rear wheel/hub/spindle broke off (it’s a FWD car).  No, no cheap Chinese parts

for our Audi race car - but we were hit on that same wheel the previous racing weekend and likely had more

damage than originally found.  Nevertheless, we had a super good time racing at Harris Hill!

Pure Black Racing would like to thank:

Our Audi BrothersInArms Team Unintended Acceleration.  Through hard racing and great sportsmanship, 

they have consistently made our team - and the entire field - faster and better prepared. When a 30 year old

Audi Quattro can finish as well as they did, you know you have to bring your A game to beat these guys.

And if you’re lucky enough to do, they will be they very first team to shake your hand and offer congratulations.

Ryan, Eric, Bill, and the entire rest of Team U A - super job and thank you!!

The Champ Car Endurance Series.  CCES gives us a fantastic environment to race in, and is always professionally

run.  Just an example... when timing/scoring system had problems, CCES took immediate action, fixed the problem,

and had us all racing again in minutes.  We all have different goals and ideas about our racing org, but let’s never

loose sight of what brings us all together - good, clean, hard racing.  Thank you, CCES.

The Harris Hill management.  A great place to race - the birthplace of CCES - and always open to our org racing at

this great track.  For anyone who hasnt been to Harris Hill, the track is super fun, the spectating is awesome (from

the clubhouse/concessions you can see about 90% of the track), and the corner and track workers are friendly, 

helpful, and professional.  Thank you, Harris Hill.

D8CB268A-8546-4A9A-82D1-C15D2B500489.jpeg

• Like 3