Endurance series mandated tire

So some of you may have seen that one of the other series now has a tire sponsor and all entries are required to run a spec tire, the RS4.  They get a pretty decent discount on the tires as well.  One of my teammates brought up an interesting point, that sponsor is guaranteeing stock in the most common sizes and now Tire rack is showing a back order for the 245 we run.  Now that may or may not be related but it would be nice to know you can get the tires you need before a race without hoping tire rack has stock.

How would Champcar feel about a mandated tire with a discounted price?  Not that I think this would EVER happen.  I can't imagine the rable that would arise from that.  Gotta say tho, that discount on that tire looks pretty good (Doesn't include shipping, so I don't know what that would run or if it would offset the discount).  But if I could show up to a race, go to the tire truck and get 4 mounted and balanced for that price....I'd be in.

Edited by Jab31169

It’s been typical for most distributors to be backordered on the RS-4’s this time of year. They are also BO’ed on the 225 15’s. 

ChampCar going spec tire? Not for at least the next 2+ years with the current TR title sponsorship. 

Are you talking about Lucky Dog? They aren't mandating any tire, they just have a contingency program with Hankook. i.e. you have to run their (Hankook's) tire to win their (Hankook's) prizes, like most tire sponsors. You can still run other tries, you just aren't eligible for those prizes if you do. 

I guess I'll have to take that back, teams not running those specific tires are also "not eligible for podium finishes"

Sure would be great if Tire Rack could offer the same type of benefits in this series though, wouldn't it. 

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

Are you talking about Lucky Dog? They aren't mandating any tire, they just have a contingency program with Hankook. i.e. you have to run their (Hankook's) tire to win their (Hankook's) prizes, like most tire sponsors. You can still run other tries, you just aren't eligible for those prizes if you do. 

Sure would be great if Tire Rack could offer the same type of benefits in this series though, wouldn't it. 

It is a mandated tire:

ANNOUNCING: Hankook Motorsports, Official Distributor of Hankook Competition Tires North America, has been announced as series title sponsor of Lucky Dog Racing League, a three-year agreement, confirming their alignment with the fastest growing grassroots endurance series in this segment of motorsports. Starting in January 2020, Lucky Dog Racing League/Powered by Hankook Competition teams will be required to run Hankook’s Ventus R-S4 tire, offering teams guaranteed stock, exceptional discounted pricing, expert support and $3,000 in free tires at every event!

FULL SCOOP at http://bit.ly/LuckyTires #RaceLucky #PoweredByHankook

Edited by enginerd

• Technical Advisory Committee

Hankook distribution is always questionable on RS4's.  They didn't get my tires in stock until JULY 2019.  None available to buy from late 18 through then.

It would be awesome if tire rack would help us out with that issue.

1 minute ago, Huggy said:

Hankook distribution is always questionable on RS4's.  They didn't get my tires in stock until JULY 2019.  None available to buy from late 18 through then.

It would be awesome if tire rack would help us out with that issue.

You purchase directly though Hankook Motorsports?

6 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Oh, apparently (Facebook comments by LDRL) the tire is not mandatory.... you just need to have that tire on to not get DQed after the race. 

So LDRL is creating a new class? 

Sounds like EC....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Oh, apparently (Facebook comments by LDRL) the tire is not mandatory.... you just need to have that tire on to not get DQed after the race. 

They need to have a get together with the guy that does media and get facts straight:

Starting in January 2020, Lucky Dog Racing League/Powered by Hankook Competition teams will be required to run Hankook’s Ventus R-S4 tire, offering teams guaranteed stock, exceptional discounted pricing, expert support and $3,000 in free tires at every event!

29 minutes ago, theblue said:

I'm sure if anyone was "thinking" of running a race with LDRL you could just call up and buy those tires at the discount price.   if you happen to go to a champcar race with them to bed them in then I'm sure it won't be a problem.

I emailed them. Not sure what kind of discount there will be. As it stands now, Hankook direct through the email on the announcement is $175/tire for 225/45r15. $700 for a set of 4 PLUS shipping. They would need a discount of close to 20% to be at TR price. Oh, and they are backordered for at least a month.

7 minutes ago, jakks said:

I emailed them. Not sure what kind of discount there will be. As it stands now, Hankook direct through the email on the announcement is $175/tire for 225/45r15. $700 for a set of 4 PLUS shipping. They would need a discount of close to 20% to be at TR price. Oh, and they are backordered for at least a month.

From the webpage:

195/50/15 - $102.00*
225/45/15 - $103.00*
225/50/16 - $106.00*
245/40/17 - $135.00*
255/40/17 - $129.00*
275/35/18 - $202.00*

Tire rack right now is $163.22 for the 245/40/17 and I can have the tires on Wednesday.  I too am curious to see what the shipping works out to be

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

You purchase directly though Hankook Motorsports?

No, from tire rack as per hankook's customer representative(s) i spoke with, TR has the exclusive rights to the 245/40/15 tire and therefore are the only source for said tire.

I spent weeks calling around and was unable to find another source for the tires at any price from basically January through April this year.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure a "spec" tire is a great idea, especially if it rains, but I would like to see some of the outlier tires pulled back on penalized.  Tires like the RE71R have no business wearing the 180TW badge, and the series should explore ways of discouraging the use of the cheaty autocross tires on classed cars.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Before I worked with Tire Rack, Hankook was on my radar. Multiple emails and calls I gave up. 

Tire Rack wants to be the exclusive retailer for ChampCar for all tires. That's in the contract that we signed. 

Maybe I'll see if I can talk to Tire Rack to see if we can workout a Hankook or Bridgestone type contingency. We are in year one of a relationship. Tire Rack is contracted for three years with two years of renewal options. I wanted to walk before we ran. 

We are in the middle of giving away $10k in tires this year and people who are registered to race have chances to win. We did this so in case the same team was winning all year other teams had a chance at these. 

I'm all ears on how I can help support members on this series with sponsorships and giving back. That's the goal. 

We will never be a spec tire series. I believe in not one shoe fits all. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I'm all ears on how I can help support members on this series with sponsorships and giving back. That's the goal. 

Give me free stuff.  Free tires, free brakes, free safety stuff, free fuel...

Yep, that should do it.

Thanks for working on getting me free stuff Tyler!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Give me free stuff.  Free tires, free brakes, free safety stuff, free fuel...

Yep, that should do it.

Thanks for working on getting me free stuff Tyler!

Wait, I thought you were Mr. No more free stuff!! 

(I know, that's free stuff as in zero point stuff)

• Haha 5

I would support a "spec tire", provided the following were true:

• ChampCar negotiated a favorable price list that was frozen for a couple of years (the number of years that the tire was spec'd for)
  • The manufacturer (or their chosen distributor aka Tire Rack) pledged to keep all relevant sizes in stock 
  • The tire had reasonable initial tread depth, so it would work in rain

The above would give a level playing field (if the tires aren't great in rain, we all slow down) and would control costs in a couple of ways:

• The spec tire could be a fairly long life tire (which would slow us ALL down a little, but that is probably a good thing) so we'd spend less on tires
  • The negotiated volume discount would save us money
  • No one would have to wonder if they should get "rains" for a particular race.  The only question would be whether to run your scrubbed in tires or your new ones.

All that being said, I doubt it would be easy to get the first half of this post accomplished.  Particularly since we run such a diverse set of sizes.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

I would support a "spec tire", provided the following were true:

• ChampCar negotiated a favorable price list that was frozen for a couple of years (the number of years that the tire was spec'd for)
  • The manufacturer (or their chosen distributor aka Tire Rack) pledged to keep all relevant sizes in stock 
  • The tire had reasonable initial tread depth, so it would work in rain

The above would give a level playing field (if the tires aren't great in rain, we all slow down) and would control costs in a couple of ways:

• The spec tire could be a fairly long life tire (which would slow us ALL down a little, but that is probably a good thing) so we'd spend less on tires
  • The negotiated volume discount would save us money
  • No one would have to wonder if they should get "rains" for a particular race.  The only question would be whether to run your scrubbed in tires or your new ones.

All that being said, I doubt it would be easy to get the first half of this post accomplished.  Particularly since we run such a diverse set of sizes.

You're close. If there were spec tires, there would need to be a specific amount of tires that a team can use per race. This would stop the guys from going out and getting 20 shaved tires for the Nelson race, and would keep costs the same for everybody. Say 4-6 tires for a 12hr and about 8 for a 24 at the most.