Dash/ Data loggers

We use RaceCapture. We get at least 2 people every race come look at our pit/pit cart setup. We’ve done a small update to the pitcart where 2 screens are now landscape and we see more of the running order without scrolling and the RC screen is larger.

The lower dash screen is our RaceCapture and the upper is now an AiM Solo for laptimer

367DF518-3B5A-4045-B693-D3D5EF0CE375.jpeg

7DD31223-78D4-49E4-A7E3-EB9689C0E602.jpeg

• Like 6

Guest E. Tyler Pedersen

Plug and play option - AiM MXL2 plus it integrated the Smarty Can

If you are techy then I would look into Race Capture. 

I am just now getting into Race Capture and it takes some time to get right. 

On 10/11/2019 at 8:23 PM, Lethal Cliff said:

I have race capture now.  We like it, but would like something a little more user friendly.  I'm thinking MXL2 plus with Podium connect.  I really like the video the smarty cam puts out.

Soooo....  you wanna sell the race capture?

• Technical Advisory Committee

Race Technology is another option.  I like their software for checking out laps.  Good video integration.

Plus the US branch is in your neck of the woods; day trip to go check out their goods.

23 hours ago, Lethal Cliff said:

I think we are going to stick with what we got.  Race Capture pro with PI display.  I just need to devote more time in fine tuning the setup we have.

what are your issues?

I really like how everything is online, it's great for analyzing. For PI you would need a hotspot. 

18 hours ago, turbogrill said:

I really like how everything is online, it's great for analyzing.

This is why I don't like RaceCapture.

If you want telemetry you need a SIM card for the unit AND internet access at the track.

Since I live in Canada and all the races are in the USA it's either stupidly expensive or a huge pain in the ass.

2 hours ago, erich said:

This is why I don't like RaceCapture.

If you want telemetry you need a SIM card for the unit AND internet access at the track.

Since I live in Canada and all the races are in the USA it's either stupidly expensive or a huge pain in the ass.

I can see how that is a problem, sucked until I got a Google Fi (unlimted number of extra sim cards with cheap data).

Maybe get a US T-Mobile and fill for a week before each race? Still a pain in the ass...

2 hours ago, turbogrill said:

Maybe get a US T-Mobile and fill for a week before each race? Still a pain in the ass...

It's worse for me.  I'm one of the eight people left in North America who doesn't have a cell phone.

Too damn expensive for the zero use I would give it day to day.

3 hours ago, erich said:

It's worse for me.  I'm one of the eight people left in North America who doesn't have a cell phone.

Too damn expensive for the zero use I would give it day to day.

now that is a challenge!

Curious, how do you post photos on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Tinder without a cell phone?

Edited by turbogrill

14 hours ago, turbogrill said:

now that is a challenge!

Curious, how do you post photos on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Tinder without a cell phone?

Simple.  I don't.

I've got a youtube channel that has our race videos so all of the team members can watch them.  Other than that I have no use for social media.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, BigMoneyWasters said:

I love that you race but a cell phone is too expensive!!

If I had a phone here in Canada I'd have to cut at least one race a year for budgetary reasons.

It's ironic, I'm a firmware programmer and at one point worked for Broadcom on their driver stack for cellphones.

19 hours ago, erich said:

If I had a phone here in Canada I'd have to cut at least one race a year for budgetary reasons.

It's ironic, I'm a firmware programmer and at one point worked for Broadcom on their driver stack for cellphones.

I am 100% confused about you :)

I thought you lived in a well with a tinfoil hat and ate bugs :)

21 hours ago, erich said:

That being the case, you should have programmed some phones to work indefinitely 😛

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2019 at 8:33 AM, turbogrill said:

I am 100% confused about you :)

I thought you lived in a well with a tinfoil hat and ate bugs :)

So you're just like my friends and family.

As for dashboards and data loggers, I roll my own.

Current dash is about six years old and in need of replacement.  It's based on an STM32F4DISCOVERY board with a motherboard with I/O protection, high power  LED drivers(4), and an LCD display port.  The screen is a cheap 256x64 monochrome display.  It has water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, AFR, battery voltage, and RPM.  We use an analog tach, the only reason the dash has RPM is so that we have an RPM based oil pressure warning light.  If the OP is less than 5psi per thousand RPM and the engine as above 1500 rpm it turns on the warning LED.

• Technical Advisory Committee

I couldn't even understand half the words up above.

My dash:

large.image.jpeg.d7c2e8e13a6a66d2c9d2bc0a9cedd1f3.jpeg

Maybe if I cash in some of those empty pop bottles in the upper right of the picture, I could afford some of that high tech stuff y'all got.  B)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mcoppola said:

I couldn't even understand half the words up above.

Maybe if I cash in some of those empty pop bottles in the upper right of the picture, I could afford some of that high tech stuff y'all got.  B)

I    guarantee your dash cost five times what ours cost. I think ours was about $120 all in.  It doesn't show up well at all on camera, but it's easy to read while driving.

foxdash.thumb.jpg.b6a3990d6fb5c4373960f5ed6ab52e4d.jpg