Lethal Cliff

Dash/ Data loggers

If you have CAN output from ECU you can use this sweet gauge that displays anything on the ECU and can even take in 3 more inputs. Perfecttuning.net ~$300

MOK0eMS3Mrx6GnRK7vmVDSjbsYF4anJgmj86ntADgCcEtoxC_3Q_gK310x6sWB4fpS-mklfqKHFMFRZq2BtAMSyUr9zheRWO8t1kbIzWsSEKuCNIcSGchLUsWIugtpntiPCd3lFRuFCdUWyxjiL-W9MHpQpVikAq1VgzIBJTi3K_aHatJGKx78DiqxaFBTAr4xJA1c501B9W63Xuq4WPK19uRgCR4I_h67bVSzf4Uj_do37hyLZAoypkrkw0crDS5okbCoip4by7HLCdwk8XXzPqPo41ul5f7krD9dd9IHddGZW8IQLqKXl7O9lNGUn8gatoltrLBEsG45Ke-DSFA1_CnQtZMKb7LnN-cWCuyeRFBHDR2212sawny6d6RyMwOcdCvTkK-vnFBnJKvfIMmxHTlIYS9KsUgklEE6Vqw1jla0NAGwOnauVpa9w-OewSqeD9qfJdmvN0N0567t7BL0PF1ygsUzmbQLs5Yropf7TFB53L1WybG3q1wfnATuJyPNK0BYhkTm6d1oXgsspj8KERmQLQMzk7loxBafXCSIyC97BhW6hJqlQUqNfDPgBizDVOQcyPMj2JMUZxbLR1LuUaDCa5sBlnoQ3Q1JrNFHx8P1-gtMvVEdzlkPSs4TEOAfdV98LGO80qvKUu_HiF-NilTXBo81uJE1gMhef47WzPUaSMK5IzUNc=w1204-h903-no

I am going to redo my dash a bit, it is just a stock cluster remounted, I'd like to move it to the center, saw someone else's car do that, I find looking through the steering wheel less convenient.   

For a cheap phone, I have a Mint Mobile service, and did a year of service for like $120.  It is a spare phone, because I could not transfer my old phone number to it after it was activiated, only when activiated, and now  to wait a year!!  But anyway, I got RaceChrono for it.  Haven't really had time to use it, threw it in the car last stint and I think I selected CCW instead of CW track as it had zero laps but recorded all the data, not sure, anyone else use this app?  I bought an external GPS with bluetooth to make it more accurate.

I've decided it's time to get rid of the factory dash. Need at least tach with shift light, oil pressure and temperature, and water temp. Of course decent analog gauges cost some money, about $600 for what I'm looking at. The alternative is to move into this century and go digital.

The ideal: a digi-dash that has a predictive lap timer, the whizzy F1 style shift lights, the above mentioned readouts (probably analog inputs as the car is OBD1) and set-able alarms for same. And of course the hard part: comparable cost.

Possible? 

Edited by mender

11 hours ago, mender said:

I've decided it's time to get rid of the factory dash. Need at least tach with shift light, oil pressure and temperature, and water temp. Of course decent analog gauges cost some money, about $600 for what I'm looking at. The alternative is to move into this century and go digital.

The ideal: a digi-dash that has a predictive lap timer, the whizzy F1 style shift lights, the above mentioned readouts (probably analog inputs as the car is OBD1) and set-able alarms for same. And of course the hard part: comparable cost.

Possible? 

You actually like the F1 style shift lights? Give me an analog tach with shift light any day.

What do you like about them?

Edited by enginerd

3 hours ago, enginerd said:

You actually like the F1 style shift lights? Give me an analog tach with shift light any day.

What do you like about them?

I agree, I like a tach with shift light also but would consider that for the team. The benefit of the shift lights is that it tracks the last several hundred rpm before the shift, so more accurate shifts can be made by some drivers. I have very good pitch so I rarely look at the tach after the first couple of shifts.

I would like to have the dash or shift lights flash red during overrevs to "help" some of my early downshifters (also know as rod-stretchers). Found out through video that one of my drivers was downshifting about 1.5 seconds after applying the brakes no matter how fast he was going, dragging the rpm up well past the shift point and also past the fuel cutoff point. Memory tach regularly read 6600 rpm against a 5500 rpm shift point and 6300 rpm fuel cut. I built the engine to handle extra revs but that wasn't supposed to be used.

Also have been looking into adding a predictive lap timer. Already have a phone app that works reasonably but it would be nice to have it all together.

Edited by mender
  • Like 2

It doesn’t exactly talk about if you can run it is standalone mode, but it shouldn’t be too difficult. Combine this display with inexpensive pressure and temp sensors and you would have everything you need for less than a couple of analog gauges.

https://ecumasterusa.com/collections/digital-dash-displays/products/whpbd1-basic-dash-display?variant=12337347657789

• Like 1

We took the plunge into RaceCapture with Pi dash. Gutted the stock wiring harness and started from scratch. Hardware installation was tedious, but straight forward. The car is an e30 so there is no OBD CAN port to piggyback. All sensors need to be installed and wired. We will be monitoring air intake temp, coolant&oil temp, oil pressure and brake pressure. We will use the GPIO signals for coolant and oil pressure switches for dash warning lights. Thus far we have just powered it on and done a systems check and everything works as it should! Engine is not ready to be fired just yet...

Those teams running racecapture, what tips and tricks do you have for a new install? Any lessons learned or pitfalls to avoid?

• Like 1

I run the race capture also.  We are a 96 nissan maxima ecu so everything is hard wired also.  I monitor oil pressure and temp.  Coolant temp and of course, rpm.  I use the gpio's as inputs for brake light switch and low and no fuel level switches.  We also monitor fuel tank level but we are still fine tuning it.  Its a great unit even better if you know lua scripting.  That is my weak point so i'm sure we are not using it to its full potential. I suggest using the sensors that are presets in the race capture.  That make setup much easier.

12 hours ago, mender said:

I'm thinking about this:

We run the Ecliptech on one of our e30s and it is great.  Prefer it to the AIM dash on the other car, at least for shift light functions.  Simple, light, durable.  Brightness automatically adjusts and can get very bright, but dims enough for night.  Like it.