Jump to content
Silverbeast

Road America 2019 Fall Race

Recommended Posts

Edit by Bill Strong---
race Results
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1741449

 

ChampCar.Live
Saturday race

 

 

 

How is this not a thread yet?  Let's see it!  You post your spins, crashes, near misses and stories and I'll do the same later when I get home in the coming days. 

 

PS. Sorry for screwing y'all up on the Start Sunday. Had something start hanging up my throttle going into turn 1 lap 1....on a car with a recent history of getting loose on cold tires/cold track and spinning out.  I started the #15 Accord on Sunday. 

Oh,  and post videos of your crazy racing stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome weekend, thank you to the CC staff and racers! All hail the all mighty NISSANS!
JSK-Win.jpg

Edited by Mike.g
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thewheelerZ said:

Big congrats to @Slugworks Paul .  Nice work, you are getting that car dialed in!  Nice work to @scottyk and Co. too.  Fast as always.  Nissan Family sedans laying a good ol' fashion beat down!

#raisethevpi.

 

These cars are obviously valued too low.  I mean, they are almost gtr underneath.  They even share the same number of cylinders and driven wheels (sort of).  I can't believe that champcar would let these obvious cheaters win.

 

These teams haven't even been developing these cars for years.

 

It's all a sham.

 

500 points my a$$.

 

 

-#greenfont 

 

Good run to both teams!

 

  I like seeing these types of builds do well.  It gives hope that this racing can survive inexpensively even with newer cars moving in.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

running 2:47s AND going a full two hours?!  dang...anyway, congrats to both teams!  

 

Edited by Jer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

#raisethevpi.

 

These cars are obviously valued too low.  I mean, they are almost gtr underneath.  They even share the same number of cylinders and driven wheels (sort of).  I can't believe that champcar would let these obvious cheaters win.

 

LOL GTR! Maybe more like a front wheel drive 350Z. The JSK Maxima is only the 3.0 but they have been working on that car for years. The Altima is the 3.5, and they come with a factory 20 gallon tank. That Altima is beautifully prepared and cared for, but I don't think they dump BMW money into it :P. Overall the Altima & Maxima platform is a great car to gut, cage and race (like the spirit of champcar should be). Last year we ran a 3.5 Maxima (with stock 17g tank), and we kept it simple. We just used factory sealed salvage engines that had under 70,000 miles. We kept it in budget and we were able to get a 3rd overall at Brainerd. Near 500 is ok, but not over IMO.

Edited by Mike.g
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good times, man Road America is quite a hoot.  It was my first time there and I thoroughly enjoyed my time driving with the JSK guys, thanks to them for having me.  Other than driving on that impressive track, my highlight of the weekend was Aaron S. changing a tire in 20 seconds or so, quite impressive.  Good food downtown.  Just another good weekend with Champcar.  Thanks to Aaron and Mark with Mielan for trooping up and down the pits as volunteers, that's gotta be a thankless job but we couldn't run these races without knowledgeable guys like them willing to work the pits like that.  I didn't see anybody yelling at them, so they must have done ok.  Thanks to the Champcar staff for putting on a good event.  See those of you that are coming to Barber there, we'll have the Burningham car ready to go for that one, hopefully.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike.g said:

 

LOL GTR! Maybe more like a front wheel drive 350Z. The JSK Maxima is only the 3.0 but they have been working on that car for years. The Altima is the 3.5, and they come with a factory 20 gallon tank. That Altima is beautifully prepared and cared for, but I don't think they dump BMW money into it :P. Overall the Altima & Maxima platform is a great car to gut, cage and race (like the spirit of champcar should be). Last year we ran a 3.5 Maxima (with stock 17g tank), and we kept it simple. We just used factory sealed salvage engines that had under 70,000 miles. We kept it in budget and we were able to get a 3rd overall at Brainerd. Near 500 is ok, but not over IMO.

You do know it was a joke, right?  I am writing from my phone so I had to write green font, versus actually using green font.

 

I have been following these builds and raced against at least the jsk car a few times (including last year's fall race at road america).

 

Much respect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a great weekend spectating. Lots of great driving .. great cars... I loved watching the first stint Saturday from the turn 7 overlook, the Copper Penny miata was using an additional 4’ of “track” through turn 6 that few others were touching and flying through that section.

 

The elevation changes are so much bigger than what you feel in the car. Weather was beautiful. Trees were turning color. Great weekend. Congrats to all finishers!

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

You do know it was a joke, right?  I am writing from my phone so I had to write green font, versus actually using green font.

I have been following these builds and raced against at least the jsk car a few times (including last year's fall race at road america).

Much respect!

 

I need need someone to hold this sign for me! HAHA

sarcasm.gif.1881907ad5782c50a43ae8e7320b

Edited by Mike.g
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, enginerd said:

 

The elevation changes are so much bigger than what you feel in the car. Weather was beautiful. Trees were turning color. Great weekend. Congrats to all finishers!

 Did you go down to the carousel? It's amazing how much the track drops around there and you hardly notice in the car. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I had a great weekend spectating. Lots of great driving .. great cars... I loved watching the first stint Saturday from the turn 7 overlook, the Copper Penny miata was using an additional 4’ of “track” through turn 6 that few others were touching and flying through that section.

 

The elevation changes are so much bigger than what you feel in the car. Weather was beautiful. Trees were turning color. Great weekend. Congrats to all finishers!

 

I followed them through Canada a few times. They were using about 3-4 bus widths of extra track through there, but it was working. Absolute mad lads. 

 

20 minutes ago, enginerd said:

The elevation changes are so much bigger than what you feel in the car.

 

Walking up the hill to 5 always puts it in perspective why you barely need to brake for 6. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jer said:

running 2:47s AND going a full two hours?!  dang...anyway, congrats to both teams!  

 

 

No worries.  That was probably just one lap by their pro driver who is Randy Pobst's coach and mentor and not indicative of a lap time by an actual human being in that car.  Besides, raising a VPI based on one result at one race and actually hitting the podium would just be silly, wouldn't it?  That is probably the only podium that car will ever see and it was likely a very weak field cause who shows up at Road America?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnpickard79 said:

 

I followed them through Canada a few times. They were using about 3-4 bus widths of extra track through there, but it was working. Absolute mad lads. 

That's how you drive a Miata. All about momentum.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I big thanks to Andrew @red0, Dave and Robin for inviting me to join them at RA for my first W2W with FWD in the Rbank CRX.  The CRX was crazy fast and drove very go-kart like with a ton of grip and enviable accelleration.  I got to start on Sunday and run the entire stint in the lead, which is a first for me.  I appreciate the good words from @Doc and @Bill Strong on the broadcast as well.  Congrats to the @Slugworks Paul and the rest of the podium finishers.  

 

As a side note Andrew, @red0 and I have been competing against each other since 2012 at a lot of races.  We've always had a good, friendly rivalry.  It was great to be on the same team for a change.  We were very fast together.  

Edited by skierman64
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

 

No worries.  That was probably just one lap by their pro driver who is Randy Pobst's coach and mentor and not indicative of a lap time by an actual human being in that car.  Besides, raising a VPI based on one result at one race and actually hitting the podium would just be silly, wouldn't it?  That is probably the only podium that car will ever see and it was likely a very weak field cause who shows up at Road America?

right.  LOL.  Well we certainly won't knee jerk on one race result.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jer said:

right.  LOL.  Well we certainly won't knee jerk on one race result.  

 

Well, unless it’s done by a thunderbird. Then we raise it again per our double secret pact to keep those off the podium. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Burningham said:

 

Well, unless it’s done by a thunderbird. Then we raise it again per our double secret pact to keep those off the podium. 

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Low Farm Racing had a good weekend, or as good as can be. 

 

This weekend for us was run as a tribute, as one of our long time friends and drivers unfortunately lost his battle with cancer early last week. He has been at almost every Champ/Chump race we've done, and driven with us for most of them so we knew he'd want us to run, and have a strong finish. We ran deliberately a little easy on the car to try our best to make sure we got finishes on both days, and we did. 

 

On to the more positive things. Some changes we made meant we could finally approach 2hrs on fuel stops, so we had to relearn our whole routine around pit stops and driver stints etc. We got caught out by a full course caution happening right after we pitted in on Sunday, but other than that this was on track to make a huge difference for us. 

 

Had a great time running with so many cars that I don't quite remember them all, but one I do remember is an e30 team with stars painted on the quarter panels that I enjoyed running with for 5 or 6 laps. 

 

Things we learned: 

- We need to duct our brakes. 

- We need to go on a diet and lose some more weight where we can. 

- We may want to go to 255's instead of 245's. 

 

Thank you to the entire Champcar organization, the volunteers, and the competitors for another terrific event. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red0 said:

 

giphy.gif

LOL. I'm innocent I tell ya,  innocent.

 

 

Edited by Jer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the near miss category....if you watch closely you can see the Neon bobble (I think)...and I'm assuming the Porsche lifts quickly resulting in the spin.

 

Edited by TKRiggs
additional detail
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Johnpickard79 said:

 

 

Things we learned: 

- We need to duct our brakes. 

- We need to go on a diet and lose some more weight where we can. 

- We may want to go to 255's instead of 245's. 

 

Thank you to the entire Champcar organization, the volunteers, and the competitors for another terrific event. 

The first two items will help you not need to do the third. I’d be very surprised if 255’s will help you all that much over a 245. What pressures? Rim width? What tires?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...