Silverbeast

Road America 2019 Fall Race

10 minutes ago, TKRiggs said:

For the near miss category....if you watch closely you can see the Neon bobble (I think)...and I'm assuming the Porsche lifts quickly resulting in the spin.

Nice miss!

13 minutes ago, TKRiggs said:

For the near miss category....if you watch closely you can see the Neon bobble (I think)...and I'm assuming the Porsche lifts quickly resulting in the spin.

Whoa... when did that happen? 

19 minutes ago, jakks said:

The first two items will help you not need to do the third. I’d be very surprised if 255’s will help you all that much over a 245. What pressures? Rim width? What tires?

rs-4's on 8.5" wheels. We used to run them at 35-36psi hot and brought them down to 33 hot this weekend based on what we have heard from other people, and they definitely felt better at that pressure.

4 hours ago, Burningham said:

Good times, man Road America is quite a hoot.  It was my first time there and I thoroughly enjoyed my time driving with the JSK guys, thanks to them for having me.  Other than driving on that impressive track, my highlight of the weekend was Aaron S. changing a tire in 20 seconds or so, quite impressive.  Good food downtown.  Just another good weekend with Champcar.  Thanks to Aaron and Mark with Mielan for trooping up and down the pits as volunteers, that's gotta be a thankless job but we couldn't run these races without knowledgeable guys like them willing to work the pits like that.  I didn't see anybody yelling at them, so they must have done ok.  Thanks to the Champcar staff for putting on a good event.  See those of you that are coming to Barber there, we'll have the Burningham car ready to go for that one, hopefully.

I'm getting tired of seeing you win. You must be cheating in all of the cars you get into.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Johnpickard79 said:

rs-4's on 8.5" wheels. We used to run them at 35-36psi hot and brought them down to 33 hot this weekend based on what we have heard from other people, and they definitely felt better at that pressure.

Yup, most of the 200tw are 32-34 hot. We run 32# 225 RS-4’s on 8”. 15” wheel though. RS-4’s tend to have a lot of squeal before they actually break away from what I’ve learned. Also, if you’re seriously thinking of moving up, I’d consider buying 9” wheels and running 245’s on them first. You might be able to find some used ARC-8’s for a decent price. Fanboys are starting to lose interest in them....

If anyone knows the copper penny guys id like to get into contact with them. PM me info if you have it. Need to apologize for having our heads up our asses. #nogreenfont.

Congrats to JSK, and VanBuren Boys on the wins!  It was great weather for racing and a great field!

My Recap:  We decided not to run the Miata since we didn't expect a very good showing(not enough power) and I just didn't think we could compete with @Chris ShayLudicrous Speed at Road America.  A week before the race we found out Chris decided not to run, but we thought it was too late to get the car ready. 

I put the word out for a seat to run with another team and got a ride with C&J Racing in their 1980 Camaro.  Their Camaro is a very impressive car and a team of some talented drivers, but we battled some gremlins all weekend.  Meanwhile our sister car, the Rugged Video Civic(Husband and Wife Team) had met the wall on Saturday.  While towing the civic back home at 7pm on Saturday, the guys thought it would be a good idea to get the Miata and run it on Sunday.  

The Miata was sitting in the garage since the disastrous 24 hours of VIR and needed a the seat and belts reinstalled, a splitter, and rear brake calipers(The caliper bent when the pad ejected at VIR).  It was also on our spare motor which was down a bit on power.  The guys worked through the night, stole one of the calipers from my street car, and we were putting the finishing touches on the splitter 20 minutes before green on Sunday.  I drove the first stint and we worked our way from the back to 4th.   

I had some great "team-driving" with an EC BMW that helped us cut the wind and draft down the straights and set our fast lap at a 2:50.5.  

A couple hours later I hopped in the C&J car for my stint with them, but an axle and transmission seal blew and we got black flagged after a lap.  We didn't have a replacement so my day was done with the C&J team.   

I then hopped back in the Miata for the 4th stint and we were fighting to stay on the podium.  Unfortunately we couldn't keep up with an extra pit stop and fell to 4th place after our final stop.  RBank was running strong, but dropped out and handed us the A-Class win.

Impound brought some interest to our wing and splitter and it was "recommended" that we shrink the width before the next race.  Which is unfortunate because we bought a wider wing once we were required to flare our fenders based on the rule below.

4.3.2. Fixed Point Value List "Aerodynamic devices not to exceed width of bodywork (fenders, bumpers, doors) when viewed from above. Note: Side mirrors are not included in bodywork width."

I will be asking for a clarification, but I believe this is being(or going to be) enforced as the width of the "OEM bodywork", not "bodywork" as the rule states.   Seeing how our wing end-plate sliced open my co-drivers head as I exited the pits at VIR, I think this is a smart rule, but I wish "OEM" was in the rules. None the less, Jay handled it in a very fair and respectful way and we didn't get tossed in impound.  I will however be cutting our wing and splitter before the next race to fit within the OEM width.

It was a very unexpected finish and the team did a great job to slap the car together in just a few hours.  Although it wasn't a podium it was a redemption from the 24 hours of VIR where everything seemed to go wrong.

Thank you to all the competitors for some fast clean racing!  Although there were a couple frustratingly slow yellow moments, overall the driving was great!

73033380_1393280940827664_7940574878745231360_o.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pee Wee said:

I'm getting tired of seeing you win. You must be cheating in all of the cars you get into.

I pack a bag full of cheatiness to take with me for every race.  Cheating isn't cheap I tell ya.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We posted back-to-back 2nd place finishes with our car 601 Bandit.  A very successful weekend for that car. 

Saturday:  While leading the race, we broke a wheel stud in the next to last stint.  A volunteer pit marshal saw it and refused to let us back on track.  This is a 5-lug wheel.  So, we started tearing everything apart, while I went to find someone to help with the decision.  I finally found him and he cleared us to race, but it was too late.  We'd torn everything apart.  We quickly put everything back together, but we'd lost 2 or 3 laps.  We battled back to 2nd, but the win was lost.  Lesson learned...I guess. 

602-Rocket had a stupid failure of a 10 cent part and parked during the last stint. 

603-Renegade had a top 5 in sight, but missed the 2 hour mark by a bit too much and had to take an extra stop. 

Sunday:  601 ran a perfect race.  2 hour stints.  Perfect pace.  I made one bad strategy call and held our 3rd stint back for too long.  It cost us 15-30 seconds.  We threw on a set of stickers for the last stint, to try to run down the Maxima.  We turned our fast lap, right out of the box.  We made up a full minute, but we just couldn't catch them.  The Maxima was perfect.  They didn't make a single mistake and they earned the win.  We were honored to finish 2nd to them.  If I had called a better 3rd stint, we could have made it a better show for the win. 

602 had a MAF sensor issue at the start and we lost 2 laps.  Ran perfect from that point on and we put Paulie Veltum in the car for the last stint.  He did awesome!!  Got down to 2:54 in a car that he'd never driven before.  So cool.  602 finished 10th.

603 was not so lucky.  A mistake at the exit of the carousel ended poorly.  The car can be fixed, but it was done for the day. 

Fun weekend!  That holding cars at pit out during FCY thing was weird, but everything else was great.  Onward and upward! 

EDIT:  Additional information has clarified that the call on the wheel stud was made by ChampCar tech, not the volunteer.  My apologies for that misinformation.  The volunteer was just doing what he was told.

Edited by Round3Racing
New info
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TKRiggs said:

That is a funny spot right there due to the elevation change.  Doesn't take much of a loft to really upset even a well planted car.  I can imagine it would be worse in a boxster.  I've had a few good pucker moments there myself.

Here is what it's like to be in a car when the brakes fail.  I know it sounds like a school girl screaming, but that's just something mechanical squealing in the car, I promise that's what it is.

• Haha 5

Friday October 18th was my 50th birthday and clearly I was rewarded all weekend with good weather, great racing, great camaraderie and Team Udder Chaos #55 Dodge Neon finally stayed on track and turned enough laps to take home some class B hardware. 

As Saturday progressed for B class it was looking like Two Brothers was putting an insurmountable gap between us and Noble Gas Racing (another neon).  But by the end of Saturday both Noble Gas and Two Brothers both were caught up in some on track contact (separate incidents) which paved the way to our first post race impound.  Not exactly how you want to pick up your first hardware, but we have put in a enough time and effort that we were all smiles.

On Sunday we put our fastest driver in first stint since the random draw had us starting near the front.  As the day progressed it looked again like the contenders would be the same three and then Two Brothers had some issues putting themselves a couple laps back and Noble Gas lost a transmission sending them to the garage.  In the early afternoon I think we got to a about a 7 lap lead on Two Brothers and then they seemed to get their issues sorted out and we started struggling with our brakes.  Still trying to diagnose the exact cause but we had to drop well off our pace to preserve the brakes which was all Two Brothers needed to see to turn into sharks in blood infested waters.  As they turned great laps we continued to struggle and then during our last drivers stint we completely lost the front right brake pads.  A quick pit stop to put on some spare used pads and we were back out and able to get back to a better pace and I think we only lost 3 of our 6 lap lead. Just as we started to relax a little bit, in we came for a mechanical black flag for a dangling tailpipe.  After pulling off a hanger and figuring out the one orientation and angle that the tailpipe could thread out from above the rear control arms without jacking up the car, the tailpipe was tossed over the pit wall and out we went.

By the time we got back on pace we had given all but 1 lap back on our gap to Two Brothers which kept the last 30 minutes of the race pretty exciting for us.  Fortunately we were able to maintain the lead and found ourselves in impound again. 

I know everyone has different opinions on the class racing aspects of Champcar, but for three guys that show up with a beat up old neon that can't run two hours on fuel, we sure appreciate the opportunity to race a race within the race.

Thanks to all the Champcar and RA staff for another awesome event.

IMG_20191020_174512.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Round3Racing said:

Saturday:  While leading the race, we broke a wheel stud in the next to last stint.  A volunteer pit marshal saw it and refused to let us back on track.  

You should talk to Mike Chisek about the incident if you think it could be handled better in the future. I always let him know if there are situations that I think could be improved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before the race:

We didn't wash the car after our 1st in class finish in Gingerman. We didn't want to wash away all the good luck (HA!) We prepared the car for Road America, new pads, rotors and oil. We also rebuilt the transmission and reinstalled it since it broke on Saturday at Gingerman.

Friday:

At the last minute I found out one drivers couldn't make it out this weekend and the other one (Paul) could only show up later on Sunday. We called our friend Jeff and he was able to fill in at the last minute (he normally drives with the purple neon team "Plum Crazy"). We arrived at the track and met up with the C&J race team so we could combine our Camaro powers and compare mullets. Craig from C&J and our co-owner Dan are old oval stockcar racing friends going back over 20 years.

Saturday:
All 3 drivers got in a driving stint. I (Mike) went back in for a 4th stint but our transmission failed after a few laps due to the rear seal sliding out. The fail sound is amazing. On the plus side, Dan and I are getting really good at swapping transmissions and we got the car back out in about 90 minutes. We still finished 4th in class.

Sunday:
In put on new tires since the the set we still had on was from Gingerman. (BTW Y'all should take a look at them cheap Federal tires, they have worked awesome for us.) Dan turn the fastest lap all weekend in the first stint. Jeff went out and had fun. Paul showed up was laid down some very consistent lap times. I went out and had a blast. Paul went back in because we only had an hour to go. We decided to not risk running out of fuel and focus on D class. We were able to stay out and win class D. Team "Face Down Racing" with red supra pitted right next to us, Hunter and his team are a great bunch. I was really hoping for a side by side battle all day with them, but they had to replace an alternator and that cost them 5 laps. I kept peaking at the overall rank and I saw we were doing well, but I didn't want to focus on that.

Overall we had fun at the race, everyone is super nice and it was a joy racing with you.

That said, something that bothers me is seeing the arms race of spending. I am torn on what to think about it overall. My inner snowflake melts down a bit seeing all of this very expensive car haulers at this amateur race event. But my inner racer knows I would do the exact same thing if I had the cash to do it. I have talked to a lots of the people on these teams (Drivers & Owners) and all of them are great people. It's easy to hate on the jerk with a wicked setup & fast car. But not so much when they are nice with a wicked setup & fast car 😏

On the long drive home an idea crept up in my mind to sell our Camaro while it can still keep up with most of the field and get out of racing all together. Personally I've never thought about quitting racing. It was a bit of a surprise that this idea even crossed my mind after having such a very positive weekend. Strange...

Back to something more positive. I am uploading our in car camera video, Sunday is uploaded. I will work to get Saturday up next.
*Look in the comments for time stamps. I will try to add cool moments as I re-watch it. Please feel free to do the same if you see something neat.

Edited by Mike.g
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Mike.g said:

That said, something that bothers me is seeing the arms race of spending. I am torn on what to think about it overall. My inner snowflake melts down a bit seeing all of this very expensive car haulers at this amateur race event. But my inner racer knows I would do the exact same thing if I had the cash to do it. I have talked to a lots of the people on these teams (Drivers & Owners) and all of them are great people. It's easy to hate on the jerk with a wicked setup & fast car. But not so much when they are nice with a wicked setup & fast car 😏

Haulers don't win races.

Let me point out the second fastest time on Sunday was set by a 1991 CRX. Look up the actual street value on one of those some time. 

The fastest lap was set by a 13 year old Altima. Also, not an expensive car on today's market.

Edited by skierman64
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

Haulers don't win races.

Let me point out the second fastest time of the weekend was set by a 1991 CRX. Look up the actual street value on one of those some time. 

The fastest lap was set by a 13 year old Altima. Also, not an expensive car on today's market.

I think the fastest lap of the weekend was set by the Riley Camaro but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skierman64 said:

Haulers don't win races.

True story:  In the good old days, NASCAR teams would race back from California to Charlotte.  It was an on-going bet.  Teams would bring two truck drivers and take shifts, so that they didn't need to stop.  We were sponsored by CAT and had their biggest badass engine in the hauler.  We finished 2nd back then too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I think the fastest lap of the weekend was set by the Riley Camaro but I could be wrong. 

I was only looking at Sunday, the Camaro didn't race Sunday.

12 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

Congrats to JSK, and VanBuren Boys on the wins!  It was great weather for racing and a great field!

My Recap:  We decided not to run the Miata since we didn't expect a very good showing(not enough power) and I just didn't think we could compete with @Chris ShayLudicrous Speed at Road America.  A week before the race we found out Chris decided not to run, but we thought it was too late to get the car ready. 

I put the word out for a seat to run with another team and got a ride with C&J Racing in their 1980 Camaro.  Their Camaro is a very impressive car and a team of some talented drivers, but we battled some gremlins all weekend.  Meanwhile our sister car, the Rugged Video Civic(Husband and Wife Team) had met the wall on Saturday.  While towing the civic back home at 7pm on Saturday, the guys thought it would be a good idea to get the Miata and run it on Sunday.  

The Miata was sitting in the garage since the disastrous 24 hours of VIR and needed a the seat and belts reinstalled, a splitter, and rear brake calipers(The caliper bent when the pad ejected at VIR).  It was also on our spare motor which was down a bit on power.  The guys worked through the night, stole one of the calipers from my street car, and we were putting the finishing touches on the splitter 20 minutes before green on Sunday.  I drove the first stint and we worked our way from the back to 4th.   

I had some great "team-driving" with an EC BMW that helped us cut the wind and draft down the straights and set our fast lap at a 2:50.5.  

A couple hours later I hopped in the C&J car for my stint with them, but an axle and transmission seal blew and we got black flagged after a lap.  We didn't have a replacement so my day was done with the C&J team.   

I then hopped back in the Miata for the 4th stint and we were fighting to stay on the podium.  Unfortunately we couldn't keep up with an extra pit stop and fell to 4th place after our final stop.  RBank was running strong, but dropped out and handed us the A-Class win.

Impound brought some interest to our wing and splitter and it was "recommended" that we shrink the width before the next race.  Which is unfortunate because we bought a wider wing once we were required to flare our fenders based on the rule below.

4.3.2. Fixed Point Value List "Aerodynamic devices not to exceed width of bodywork (fenders, bumpers, doors) when viewed from above. Note: Side mirrors are not included in bodywork width."

I will be asking for a clarification, but I believe this is being(or going to be) enforced as the width of the "OEM bodywork", not "bodywork" as the rule states.   Seeing how our wing end-plate sliced open my co-drivers head as I exited the pits at VIR, I think this is a smart rule, but I wish "OEM" was in the rules. None the less, Jay handled it in a very fair and respectful way and we didn't get tossed in impound.  I will however be cutting our wing and splitter before the next race to fit within the OEM width.

It was a very unexpected finish and the team did a great job to slap the car together in just a few hours.  Although it wasn't a podium it was a redemption from the 24 hours of VIR where everything seemed to go wrong.

Thank you to all the competitors for some fast clean racing!  Although there were a couple frustratingly slow yellow moments, overall the driving was great!

73033380_1393280940827664_7940574878745231360_o.jpg

It was great to have you on our C&J team this past weekend! It was my first time and I learned allot from you - your input to our team this weekend was very much appreciated!

The arms race is real, but you can go fast with time OR money right now.  The problem will get really bad when you'll need time AND money to compete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jimbo020 said:

It was great to have you on our C&J team this past weekend! It was my first time and I learned allot from you - your input to our team this weekend was very much appreciated!

It was great racing with you guys!  Your a fun team to be around, you have a really fast car, and you have a great driver line-up.  Podiums are in your future for sure!