Silverbeast

Road America 2019 Fall Race

1 hour ago, skierman64 said:

I was only looking at Sunday, the Camaro didn't race Sunday.

I understand that. I didn't know you only meant Sunday since it said the CRX set the second fastest time of the weekend then you went on to say the Altima set the fastest time. I assumed you were talking about the weekend. 

Carry on

9 hours ago, red0 said:

You should talk to Mike Chisek about the incident if you think it could be handled better in the future. I always let him know if there are situations that I think could be improved. 

Guys being a pit Marshall is always a challenge and I can fill in some details which the teams did not hear on this subject. The broken stud fell out at pit in and Jay put a hold on the car for safety and it went to Mike Morrison for approval on release or not. It was several radio conversations back and forth. It was all done with safety in mind, the pit Marshall was told to hold the car until the decision was made.

If you heard the back side to the story you might have a better understanding, I will say in my mind it was handled as needed but I don't count as I was just one of the pit Marshall's.

Edited by 55mini
spacing
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, 55mini said:

Guys being a pit Marshall is always a challenge and I can fill in some details which the teams did not hear on this subject. The broken stud fell out at pit in and Jay put a hold on the car for safety and it went to Mike Morrison for approval on release or not. It was several radio conversations back and forth. It was all done with safety in mind, the pit Marshall was told to hold the car until the decision was made.

If you heard the back side to the story you might have a better understanding, I will say in my mind it was handled as needed but I don't count as I was just one of the pit Marshall's.

Thank you for the clarification.  I did not know that Jay made that call.  That explains why the pit marshall went straight to the wheel with the missing stud.

I'm okay with the volunteers and officials playing it safe. I wish that the call to let us race was made quicker, but that's racing.  Bad luck for us.  It made the battle back to 2nd even more exciting. 

Thank you for volunteering your time to manage the pits.  It can't be an easy job.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LuckyKid said:

4.3.2. Fixed Point Value List "Aerodynamic devices not to exceed width of bodywork (fenders, bumpers, doors) when viewed from above. Note: Side mirrors are not included in bodywork width."

73033380_1393280940827664_7940574878745231360_o.jpg

Not to pile on here but more of rule 4.3.2:

" Maximum wing height 12” above roof"

In the picture it looks a bit higher than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

edited as this was already stated two replies up....

Great weekend seeing everyone!  Thanks for making our lives easy as pit marshals!

Edited by hotchkis23
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mender said:

Not to pile on here but more of rule 4.3.2:

" Maximum wing height 12” above roof"

In the picture it looks a bit higher than that.

It looks like its to high, but it is not.  We have had that checked by tech and multiple races and we bought an 8 foot level so that we could check both the front and rear wings to make sure that our measurements are correct.  Whats more its 11.25" above the peak of the roof, and we can switch end-plates to the dual element versions and still be within the 12" limit, although just so.

We've also had width checked, but I think the VIR incident is bringing a new focus towards width and I agree that the written rule should be changed to the width "of the OEM bodywork" not just "bodywork" as currently written.

• Like 2

I know pictures can be deceiving, your profile picture shows it better.

Gonna have to move that exhaust pipe to help with the diffuser. ;)

• Like 1

Big thanks to the Champcar staff, track staff, and volunteers for another great weekend of racing!

It was my first time visiting and racing at Road America and what an amazing facility! Definitely one of my new favorites.

After racing with @Slugworks Paul at Indy in the Altima I kept asking him if he was going to take it to Road America knowing it would be strong there. 

We had a great battle with JSK all day on Saturday until they ran out of brakes and had to retire the car. I was in the car last and was expecting a fierce battle with the Round3 #601 Boxter with the super fast Riley Camero approaching from behind but the Camero had engine issues and the Boxter had the aforementioned wheel stud issue so we ended up taking the win by a bit over two laps. 

I started race on Sunday at the back of the train and three laps down and was able to work my way through the field and pass the leading and always fast Rbank CRX driven by @skierman64.  I ran the 1:47.7 while trying to stay ahead him to try to catch a caution to get a lap back.  We got the caution right at 2 hours and after seeing the incident I made the call to pit immediately and not wait for the safety car to pick up the leader.  We were able to get a lap back on Rbank, but JSK made the same call and we only just stayed ahead of them.  Seeing how the caution was handled in hindsight, it might have been better to stay out one more lap and get in and out of the pits before they closed it the second time.  Ultimately it didn't effect our eventual 3rd place finish due to JSK and Round3 running flawless races on Sunday.

Now to hibernate until my Sebring racing vacation in December.

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I was in the car last and was expecting a fierce battle with the Round3 #601 Boxter with the super fast Riley Camero approaching from behind but the Camero had engine issues and the Boxter had the aforementioned wheel stud issue so we ended up taking the win by a bit over two laps. 

It was going to be a great race for the win on Saturday.  Congrats!  Also, that charge through the field on Sunday was really cool to watch!  We're looking forward to racing with you guys again.

• Like 1

thank you Champ Car and Road America staff for another great Champ Car event. 

We brought the Dodge Stratus Crashmanagement hotrod up from NC. (we are from Kiel WI origionally) so a great family weekend of food and racing.

2 nd race on this car. we are getting close on our fuel delivery issues and broke a trailing arm. had a few extra pit stops. but a solid run and the drivers had consistant laps all day long.

my grandson of 5 months old was there (with his headset on) and my mom made another race at 90 yrs old.

BEST series to race with, I'd like to think we are  competitive with a home built car. 

we got to test a few things and making progress. I think we ended up 14th overall sunday. at one point we got up to 3-4th saturday?? (is the day we broke the trailing arm and lost a fuel pump)

thank you to Casey Litz of Limpy Screwdriver team for the fuel pump so we could run Sunday!!

IMG_5129.PNG

• Like 7

@tneker Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet at Gingerman. Your Neon was pretty quick there, but the FTD's you guys set at Road America on a big track were really quite impressive!!!

Hopefully you chase the gremlins away and get the finishes the car is capable of.

2:52's - 2:54's -> Awesome!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

I understand that. I didn't know you only meant Sunday since it said the CRX set the second fastest time of the weekend then you went on to say the Altima set the fastest time. I assumed you were talking about the weekend. 

Carry on

I did say weekend in my original post. I fixed it. 

8 hours ago, skierman64 said:

Haulers don't win races.

Totally agree. Like I said I can't blame anyone, if I had the cash to do it I would would do the exact thing too. The CC staff is awesome, and most teams in who race in CC are super nice and friendly. Why would I go race somewhere else just to be a mid pack car when I could put the same amount of time/funding into CC car and have a better chance at winning overall & have a good experience even if I have a bad weekend.

There are lots of great platforms to race like you mentioned (CRX, Nissan). We decided to switch to a GM platform because of one of our team members has 20+ years working with them. I must say, this car is so much more easier to work on vs the Maxima. Tons of room in the engine bay to fit a wrench and none of that pesky technology to get in the way :P HAHA!

This how our car looked a year ago before we chumped it out 😜 
IMG_20181110_094030.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skierman64 said:

Haulers don't win races.

Agreed, but the 5 dedicated pit crew guys, air guns at the pit stall, and 2-4 sets of new tires(not counting rains) that come out of the hauler sure do help.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skierman64 said:

That's absurd. I'm sure no one is paying collectors prices to strip and cage. They were less than 10k new. 

It is crazy.  That’s what collecting is though.  Once the side hat kids got old enough to have real jobs and wanted that dream Honda, they go up in price.   And there are very few that are left, either already race cars, or rusted beyond recognition.   

I didnt mean to imply that any one was paying big money and then turning one into a an endurance car.   

But the price of the old shells, (Honda, Miata, and e30 ) that are usable is creeping up.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JDChristianson said:

Be careful what car you cut up for Endurance racing.  :)  

https://jalopnik.com/so-nice-honda-crxs-are-going-for-33-600-now-1836920736

2 hours ago, skierman64 said:

That's absurd. I'm sure no one is paying collectors prices to strip and cage. They were less than 10k new. 

Gaah! I had a 1991 white CRX Si. 

But. It had over 197,000 miles on it when I sold it. The new owner failed to maintain the timing belt and her neighbors had it towed to the boneyard.

I'm still bitter. 

Side bar: I really wanted one in Tahitian Green Pearl. I wonder what a pristine one like that would go for.... *sigh*

Carry on. 

Edited by FlorahDorah
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Ronh911 said:

Agreed, but the 5 dedicated pit crew guys, air guns at the pit stall, and 2-4 sets of new tires(not counting rains) that come out of the hauler sure do help.

Honestly, no real advantage with manditory 5 minute stops.  Even with untimed stops in WRL only one extra tire and one tire gun can be over the wall at any given time in order to slow down the advantage of having dedicated pit crews. 

Those advantages can be overcome as evidenced by the winners at RA. 

2 minutes ago, skierman64 said:

Honestly, no real advantage with manditory 5 minute stops. 

Shhhh...don't say that to our 5 dedicated crew guys with air guns or the drivers who asked to buy another set of tires.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Round3Racing said:

Shhhh...don't say that to our 5 dedicated crew guys with air guns or the drivers who asked to buy another set of tires.

LOL! I love racing with you guys out on the track. I normally never get a chance to talk with you in person since we are usually pitted on the other end at RA. But If you ever need a warm body to fill a seat hit me up :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronh911 said:

Agreed, but let me clarify.  You're selling us a little short.

We had 6 crew.  2 per car.  We stop all 3 cars at the same time.  It's awesome.

We had 8 sets of new tires, including rains, since our rains are RE-71R that we were planning to run in the dry or the wet.  6 of those new sets were RE-71R.  2 sets per car.  1 set for each day, if it rained.  One of the other sets was our last set of sticker Hankook RS4 and the other was a set of Dunlop Direzza Z3.  We only have 6 sets of wheels.  Thank goodness for Walmart's tire mounting service in Plymouth.  We were burning up left rears.  So, I sure am glad that we had the extra tires.  We had one set of stickers left and the drivers in 601 asked us if they could buy them for the last stint.  We said yes.

The air guns...those things are just freakin cool.  They make the pit stops sound so awesome.  And the batteries don't die.  Sometimes, I just grab an air gun and fire off a few rounds.  In fact, I might make that sound my new ring tone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Man, I thought we were living high with @bbaker480being a very dedicated wrench and overall awesome team mate.

If we could just clone him and Thomas 3 or 4 more times, we would be unstoppable!

The crew guys and gals don't get enough credit!  

I'll bring free beer to Sebring this winter for anybody who is a dedicated crew person.  (Yes, I know they can drink!)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3rd Gears Pulls had a weekend full of ups and downs. This was the debut race for a new build. We now have a 91 CRX("Darling Nikki") and a 90 Civic Hatchback("Computer Blue")

Friday was a very crazy day, only getting 12 laps in during the whole practice. Plagued by an axle seal all day. We also had a good amount of things that tech did not like, so we had to make some changes before we could race. 

Saturday went very well. We finished 4th overall and 1st in class. The first two stints we were able to have a faster pace with the cautions and black flag. That allowed the first two drivers to have great battles with the Round 3 301 car. Pretty much back and forth the entire stints. Without cautions the second two stints were at a slower pace. 3rd driver came in a little early so we had to hold the driver in the pits for an extended period of time. Then we ran out of gas at turn 13 before we could cross the checkered flag in the last stint. This allowed the Supra to pass us in the last 15 minutes of the race for 3rd spot. Great day overall though.

Sunday was a very short day for us. Slick racing conditions and bad tires made driving very sketchy for our first driver. On lap 4 he lost grip in turn 7 and ended up in the tire wall. He was ok, but was taken to medical to get looked at. Steering wheel is definitely not round anymore. The car looked worse that it really was. Took the body panels off and started hammering the damage out and noticed the frame was a little tweaked. We started to bend the radiator support back in shape and got a new radiator in and the cooling system burped. Then took the car to a side lot and hooked it between to trucks to try and straighten the front end back out. However, we were not successful and just packed the car back up.

Already got new panels ordered and an appointment at a frame shop. Onward and Upward!!

20191020_080448.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1