General Pricing Inquiry; Barber

Hi everyone, 

I'm 24, completely new to ChampCar, and other than iracing, doing grunt work for a few endurance and vintage teams in the past, doing the odd school here and there, etc, am also new to legitimately racing. I'm finally at a point where racing may be financially practical, and would like to see the general pricing structure(s) of arrive and drive teams on a per weekend basis, preferably using the upcoming Barber event as an example. And of course if it helps, I'm happy to contribute any sweat needed towards a team's operations throughout a given weekend. Happy to answer any questions. Thank you!

Edited by newbie19

I think most races cost about the same with the exception of Cora, and Indy.  Expensive tracks adds doll hairs.

The cost per stint (2 hours) is anywhere from 300$ to 1k$.  I believe most teams are around 600$ for a stint with expectation that you will buy and race 2 stints unless the car poops the bed. 

If that happens, most of the coats for the race are gone already.  Some teams (mine included)  say sorry!  Want some gas we didn't use?  Other teams come up with money from somewhere and offer a stint at another race or a refund.

For my team, the coat for a race weekend is pretty much gone once the car hits the track.  Sure, the tires and brakes aren't used up, but they aren't new after 6 hours either.

A good bit of cost is going to come from the personal race gear.  Minimum of about a grand for stuff that you actually want to wear for an entire weekend.

Hope that helps!

• Like 4

• Administrators
11 hours ago, newbie19 said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm 24, completely new to ChampCar, and other than iracing, doing grunt work for a few endurance and vintage teams in the past, doing the odd school here and there, etc, am also new to legitimately racing. I'm finally at a point where racing may be financially practical, and would like to see the general pricing structure(s) of arrive and drive teams on a per weekend basis, preferably using the upcoming Barber event as an example. And of course if it helps, I'm happy to contribute any sweat needed towards a team's operations throughout a given weekend. Happy to answer any questions. Thank you!

Welcome to ChampCar!  Sometimes showing up at a race and introducing yourselves to teams is a good way to get known.  Rob gave some good advice above and I would give a little more background here so people understand what you've done (race wise, track day or autox).  We had a gentleman crew for us at Barber a couple of years ago and now he is racing with some teams.  It's just a good way to get your name out there with teams in the series.  Also volunteering is a good way to get some credits banked up so you have less money out of your pocket.  You can volunteer for a couple of races and have enough banked up to pay a team's entry or to pay them in race credits for your fee to race with them.  If you haven't already bought your suit and stuff I would look into that.  Next October the new Snell ratings come out so you'll be able to get a 2020 helmet, but the 2015s might be cheaper now.  Don't skimp on what you think your head is worth.  If you don't have the means to buy anything up front then I would look at http://www.racesuitrental.com/ and see what they can do for you.

Let us know if you have any more questions. 

By the way where are you based out of?

As Rob stated the majority of the money spent by teams is upfront.  Entry fees, car prep, consumables(brake pads and fluid, tires, oils of all type, and safety items that have to be replace over time).  Thats not even covering the initial cost to build or buy a car capable of racing.  A race like Barber that has a low entry fee(as compared to some) would cost a team $3k-$4k for the weekend depending on the tow distance.  Split that 3-4 ways and its $1000-$1200. If everyone is a partner in the car then its just cost.  If its arrive and drive most teams will want in excess of just cost.  Why would i do all the work for you for nothing.  Figure at least $500 an hour.  Its tough to accomplish but try to find an existing team and become a regular member and contribute over time so it just cost.  No one is making money and living of arrive and drive either, its a bad business model for sure.  Luckily I had a great group of friends and friends of friends who wantedto race.  I bought a built car and we have all contributed in many different ways to get it to the race track.  Make some forum friends meet them at the track and develop a friendship.   Any of us would be happy to have another teammate.   Good luck 

see post above  from Sluworks Paul. Good guy with a great car. Get started and soon enough you’ll be hooked. Worse than cigarettes and booze. 

Edited by TimS
Added info

On 11/1/2019 at 8:25 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

If that happens, most of the coats for the race are gone already.  Some teams (mine included)  say sorry!  Want some gas we didn't use?  Other teams come up with money from somewhere and offer a stint at another race or a refund.

For my team, the coat for a race weekend is pretty much gone once the car hits the track.  Sure, the tires and brakes aren't used up, but they aren't new after 6 hours either.

Can I bring my own coats? :)

For our races, travel expenses essentially double the cost of our weekends.

Edited by mender
  • Haha 1

While we won't be at Barber, I'll add as a data-point that we would sell 2 stints to this race at $1300 if we were going.

We do like to see more on track experience, at least open passing, before we take on drivers. I've referred potential drivers to another team to have them join us after they've got a race or two under their belt.

For our team, a typical race weekend split 4 ways is $800-$1200.  That would typically include 2 stints each and we each work equally to prep and crew the car.  If you are doing an arrive and drive as an unknown person, I would expect to pay more than that.  I have used a friend rate of $1600, but I would charge $2500 for an arrive and drive driver with no responsibility.